Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

So I dont want to lower my car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So I dont want to lower my car...

...but I'd like to get some performance out of it, could I just buy the hotchkis sways and keep the stock springs/struts?

has anyone done this? did you notice a difference?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea u can do that ...
Old 10-29-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay... well, have you done it?

id like some input from people who have done it and would like to know how their car feels now
Old 10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why no drop? for a little over a bill you can get a set of h-techs thats what i wanted at first but after being on here i'm saving for the ssp coilovers... the h-techs aren't too aggressive of a drop tho... but if you read up on hotchkis stuff everyone says the difference is night and day... but i can't remember reading of anyone doing it w/o a drop but thats not to say its not here
Old 10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by im4degreesaboveu
why no drop? for a little over a bill you can get a set of h-techs thats what i wanted at first but after being on here i'm saving for the ssp coilovers... the h-techs aren't too aggressive of a drop tho... but if you read up on hotchkis stuff everyone says the difference is night and day... but i can't remember reading of anyone doing it w/o a drop but thats not to say its not here
id like to keep vibrations to a minimum while driving, and i dont want to do something "wrong" (ie, springs without struts... yea i know they last long, but to me that seems half-assed, and also, im going to keep the "sleeper" theme on my tC)
Old 10-29-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to keep vibrations to a minimum? You probably won't want the Hotchkis sways then. I don't know how they feel but pretty much, they add the stiffness of both springs together. How much performance are you looking for?

Settle for the TRD set up; it handles well enough unless you're serious about turning faster. For street conditions, the TRD setup, springs, shocks/struts, sway, will give a noticeable increase in handling performance (quantitative language fails me at the moment) while keeping available grip at a maximum. And unless two tCs line up together, no one will ever pick out a TRD dropped tC and say "that car is lowered."

BTW, to really make an improvement while not adding a single bump or jolt to your daily commute, just pick up some new tires and call it a day.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
You want to keep vibrations to a minimum? You probably won't want the Hotchkis sways then. I don't know how they feel but pretty much, they add the stiffness of both springs together. How much performance are you looking for?

Settle for the TRD set up; it handles well enough unless you're serious about turning faster. For street conditions, the TRD setup, springs, shocks/struts, sway, will give a noticeable increase in handling performance (quantitative language fails me at the moment) while keeping available grip at a maximum. And unless two tCs line up together, no one will ever pick out a TRD dropped tC and say "that car is lowered."

BTW, to really make an improvement while not adding a single bump or jolt to your daily commute, just pick up some new tires and call it a day.
Plus, the TRD parts are warranted. (warrantied?)
Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Magnus213

Plus, the TRD parts are warranted. (warrantied?)
is there a front TRD sway?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can also just get aftermarket shocks and use them with stock springs!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just out of curiousity how do the trd rate against hotchkis?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

No, there is no TRD front sway. The search button is your best bet for a comparison between TRD and Hotchkis, but the comparison I've come to understand is this: the TRD will suit you just fine and dandy for street use, and the Hotchkis front/rear setup is only really necessary if you're going to autocross. Plus, the front sway requires dropping the front subframe, which makes the install a nightmare (all of this from what I've read on here).

You could also look at the Progress rear sway, which I have, but I think an all-TRD setup would be perfect for you.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ah ok, when I try to search this forum I get a lot of nonsense and it gets annoying after a while. I realize there is no front TRD bar, but your response answered my next question. If you would need one, and apparently you don't. I am not looking for some crazy race car but I am not looking for grandma's cadillac either, I want to find a nice mediocre ride that handles.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

^ Hey those most of those lexus's will out handle a tc 2 to 1
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mike, what are your goals.

No one can help you if you don't know where you want to go. You have to help yourself first before you can go to others for opinions.

ie, a few of the intersections I frequent are severely uneven and I've gotten my rear end to kick out unpredictably while going over one of these road abnormalities too fast. Getting the Hotchkis sway would probably have aggravated that incident.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mike, what are your goals.

No one can help you if you don't know where you want to go. You have to help yourself first before you can go to others for opinions.

ie, a few of the intersections I frequent are severely uneven and I've gotten my rear end to kick out unpredictably while going over one of these road abnormalities too fast. Getting the Hotchkis sway would probably have aggravated that incident.
i pretty much want to be able to take corners HARD... without understeering...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hotchkis sways will definately help you corner better regardless of drop. and as for bumpyness they will do nothing what-so-ever unless you are on uneven ground.
i.e. straight line driving; and say, speed bumps or something like that, where the bump is even under both wheels will ride exactly like stock. and yes i've owned them.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's true. Just whenever the road isn't regular from left to right, like if there are potholes on only the left side, you'll feel it since the bar will effectively make the spring stiffer.

And I meant more like, how hard you wanna corner. IMO, drive your stock car until you hit its limit before upgrading. If you have hit the car's limit, and you're pretty handy around a car or are going to get the sways installed by someone else, then get the Hotchkis.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you slow down on speedbumps ?

how do you drive over dips ?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do slow down over speedbumps... when i dont, it's pretty loud on the rear and some times the brake will start shaking violently if i start to brake hard over the bump (ie, i didnt see the bump before and then i brake hard)...

same with dips, i slow down...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still on stock tires ?

Quick Reply: So I dont want to lower my car...