Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

squealing coming from front wheels at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default squealing coming from front wheels at low speed

so after my brakes heat up, i get some squealing from my front end. it usually happens when i'm at low speed, sometimes it happens more often when i make a right turn

i took apart the pads and sprayed the backs down with disc brake squeal stopper (i don't know what brand, it sprays out red and becomes tacky)

i noticed that on my right front caliper, it has those sliders that have a rubber boot. the one on the bottom has a rip in the boot and the slider was frozen in place. i was able to break it loose and lubed it up, but i need to replace that rubber boot. it looks like one end of it is held in place on the bolt. the other end looks like it is glued to the caliper....

even when i lubed up the slider and put disc quieter on my pad backings, i still get the squealing. i have a suspicion that my rotors are warped. the rotors are new, they have about 1000 miles on them, they are cross drilled slotted rotors. pads have about 5000 miles on them. i think its the rotor because it will not be a constant squeal, but rather a squeak squeak squeak...

so, i need to replace that rubber boot...anyone ever do this? i really dont want to have to buy a new caliper bracket just because of a torn boot.
what else can i check to fix my squeals?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say its your rotors man, that or your stopping to hard and have somewhat uneven break wear..i got that for a while to..you may just want to do some straight line braking for a while and try to get the pads back down to an even shape..that or you have crappy pads and should get new ones.. either way..id start at the pads..thats what made my noise for a little while..buddy of mine told me to do straight line braking..and that evened em out.. no more noise =P
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like you have a sticky caliper man. mines does it to .. when i park i put in reverse and as soon as i roll it makes this grinding noise on the front wheel . but if i stop pump the brakes and go in reverse it doesnt do it . You might have a sticky/stuck caliper.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i picked up the caliper slider rubber boots today and the proper lube. i'll install them tomorrow. hopefully it helps

i really don't want to replace the rotors already
Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
i picked up the caliper slider rubber boots today and the proper lube. i'll install them tomorrow. hopefully it helps

where do you get those?
i was just gonna replace it...
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skakemokid

where do you get those?
autozone, $10, you get 4 of them
plus it comes with 4 small rubber circular pieces, i have no idea wear those go

i installed the boot today. i had to get the old one off with a chisel and hammer, there is a metal piece that fits snugly into the caliper

then i had to hammer the new one into place. i picked up the proper lube for the caliper slider pin. i sanded mine down a little bit because it had some rust. its not nearly as free sliding as the other one, but it seems to have fixed my squeal for now
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skakemokid

where do you get those?
autozone, $10, you get 4 of them
plus it comes with 4 small rubber circular pieces, i have no idea wear those go

i installed the boot today. i had to get the old one off with a chisel and hammer, there is a metal piece that fits snugly into the caliper

then i had to hammer the new one into place. i picked up the proper lube for the caliper slider pin. i sanded mine down a little bit because it had some rust. its not nearly as free sliding as the other one, but it seems to have fixed my squeal for now
]
awesome man. thanks i really appreciate it
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, it fixed my squeal for about a day. now i get a more annoying squeal when i make left turns, never got that before

WTF?