Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Strut Bars Vs. Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Strut Bars Vs. Sway Bars

What is the main difference? Which is better? I'm thinking of putting the TRD springs and Hotchkis Sports Sway Bars, are they a good combination? Also do I need to immediately replace the shocks or can I wait for a couple of years? I want to wait until the warranty runs out on the stocks.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strut bars connect the strut tops together to make it more rigid, but in our cars it doesnt make much or a difference bacause the struts are already pretty rigid because if its design to use the firewall for support.

Sway bars on the other hand makes a big difference becuase it reduces body roll in the suspension.

I just ordered the sport sways and after calling 15 different vendors I think i ordered the last set that is availialble. Hotchkis is currently backordered and wont be avaliable till like the 25th or something. you might want to try sparks toyota because they are a big vendor and will probably get them the soonest and cheapest.

With Trd Springs you can go on the stock struts for a while b4 they go bad because the drop isnt that much and they arnt too stiff.

Warrenty doesnt apply to struts because they are a wear n tear Item.
Hope i helped
Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Exactly. Good post.

(zeroniner, please either search or just look through some old posts. This has been discussed many times before.)
Old 04-19-2005, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking into getting the TRD springs, shocks, and the Hotchkis sway bars (front and back). My only concern is: how will the ride feel during every day use? I want more control, but I don't want to have a really bumpy ride either (this is more of a springs / shocks issue though)... Would the TRD sway bar be more appropriate for every day use? At TRD sparks, the Hotchkis only about a hundred more, so except for the lack of a TRD warrantee, it seems like a better value.

I'd love to hear from people that have the all TRD or the TRD + Hotchkis setup.

Spyguy
Old 04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do I need to lower the car to put in the sway bars or would a stock set up with the sway bars do the anti-roll, more control feel? THanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iridium_red
Do I need to lower the car to put in the sway bars or would a stock set up with the sway bars do the anti-roll, more control feel? THanks.
Putting sway bars on the stock set up will give you better performance. Getting those sway bars is probably one of the best suspecsion upgrades you can do that wont affect your ride comfort that much.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spyguy
I've been looking into getting the TRD springs, shocks, and the Hotchkis sway bars (front and back). My only concern is: how will the ride feel during every day use? I want more control, but I don't want to have a really bumpy ride either (this is more of a springs / shocks issue though)... Would the TRD sway bar be more appropriate for every day use? At TRD sparks, the Hotchkis only about a hundred more, so except for the lack of a TRD warrantee, it seems like a better value.

I'd love to hear from people that have the all TRD or the TRD + Hotchkis setup.

Spyguy
My suspension setup is the TRD shocks/spring, hotchkis sways bars (race setting) and the DC strut bar. I'll let you know right now that the ride is a little rougher than stock, but if you want to lower your car without giving up too much ride comfort, then the TRD setup is the way to go. With the hotchkis sway bars, you can really feel the difference when cornering. The DC strut bar is more for looks I think. It might help a little bit, but you cant really tell when driving. But I would reccommend 100% the hotchkis sways bar/TRD package from trd sparks, its a good deal.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
Originally Posted by iridium_red
Putting sway bars on the stock set up will give you better performance. Getting those sway bars is probably one of the best suspecsion upgrades you can do that wont affect your ride comfort that much.
Thank for the input. Will be installing one in the near future.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

John, thanks a bunch for the info. Yeah, I think I might want to do that, but really, the only thing I want to improve is body roll, which the sway bars take care of... Do the springs/shocks noticeably improve the car's handling, or is it mostly for looks? I may get the Hotchkis sway bars and install them myself, then get the springs later if I'm not satisfied. ;-)

Thanks again,

Spyguy
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

TRD Springs/shocks and Hotchkis' sway bars set up is the way to go! and you can buy em in a package deal
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spyguy
John, thanks a bunch for the info. Yeah, I think I might want to do that, but really, the only thing I want to improve is body roll, which the sway bars take care of... Do the springs/shocks noticeably improve the car's handling, or is it mostly for looks? I may get the Hotchkis sway bars and install them myself, then get the springs later if I'm not satisfied. ;-)

Thanks again,

Spyguy
I think that the sway bars take care of most of the body roll, the springs help some too, but the sways are designed specifically to reduce it.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

put Rear Sway bars!! It helps oversteer!! if u have front sway bars T_T under-steer!! for both >_< feels the same... cept body roll! but rear helps alot!