Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default suspension upgrades

wat suspension upgrades is left?
i got sway bar/coilovers/strut bars already.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strut bars do nothing, you can sell those and get money for something worth a darn. You can also corner balance the car to get the most out of the coils. Also, get the other sway bar you don't have. Wheels/tire combo can be considered suspension and well worth it. And maybe bushings.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Strut bars do nothing, you can sell those and get money for something worth a darn. You can also corner balance the car to get the most out of the coils. Also, get the other sway bar you don't have. Wheels/tire combo can be considered suspension and well worth it. And maybe bushings.
I disagree. While it's true they dont make a huge difference, especially if your suspension is otherwise stock, they do tighten things up a bit when you have other serious upgrades, like coilovers. Here is a relatively complete list of suspension upgrades if you want to check every square:

Coilovers, front and rear sway bars, front and rear (Dezod) endlinks, control arms, Ingalls 4-point rear strut brace, DC sports front strut brace, Energy Suspension polyurethane engine mount bushings, Energy Suspension polyurethane subframe bushings, Megan C-pillar bar, Ingalls ETD.

This about the best you can do suspension-wise. At this point you can still improve handling a little more by shedding weight off the car, and lowering the center of gravity.

Delete the spare tire/jack, delete the back seat. Get a battery relocation kit to the trunk to better balance the weight distribution of the car.

Get carbon fiber everything: VIS cf hood, VIS cf hatch, Kaminari cf roof, Seibon cf fenders, Seibon cf doors.

Now obviously, we are talking about a few thousand dollars here in upgrades...not saying this is for everyone, I just wanted to put together a complete list of what it would take to absolutely maximize the handling of the car.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After the mods you have, I would invest in some better tires, regardless of what you have now. Better tires are always the best "suspension" upgrade.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
After the mods you have, I would invest in some better tires, regardless of what you have now. Better tires are always the best "suspension" upgrade.

I agree 100%. If you are going to make the most of the suspension upgrades, gotta have sticky tires, as well as wheels with decent width to get a big enough contact patch. The stock rims are 17"x7" which simply dont cut it. When I upgraded to my 18x8 Enkei RPF1's with an R-compound tire, it was like driving an entirely different car. No more going into a corner and being afraid of the hideous bus-like understeer that the stock tc is guilty of. For a car that sees a lot of track time, I would say you want to go with 17x8's, or maybe even 17x9's. Or if you are like me and have plans for a big brake kit, go with 18x8's or 18x8.5's.

Last edited by ColonelSanders85; 11-15-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Colonel, what type of racing background do you have?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 better tires.

Struts and other chassis braces are fairly useless in all but the most extreme applications for our cars. Here's why(page 10):http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/2005...005tC_tech.pdf

You have (hopefully) adjustable coilovers. Learn what the adjustments do and tune your suspension(actually tune, don't just throw parts at it). In order to improve handling you need to know what suspension changes do or you might end up with handling that's worse than stock. Get it corner balanced. Best mod: reading a vehicle dynamics textbook.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Colonel, I'm glad you disagree and all, but strut bars on these cars do nothing more then make the butt dyno feel "tighter." The most rigid part of a uniframe car is the firewall, mounted to the tC's firewall is the strut towers. Putting a hollow bar that bolts onto the strut bolts does NOTHING to the car.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^lol

So true.

Depending on what brand coilovers you have, get some that actually work. Besides that, tires, and if your road racing, a cage can stiffen up the chassis and make the car more safe.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

never noticed an ouch of diffidence with or without strut bars. They make the engine bay look great! other than that no.

Try an Ingalls Floor Brace I loved mine.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 AM
SL Member

stickier tires and driving lessons.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Coolwaterz
wat suspension upgrades is left?
i got sway bar/coilovers/strut bars already.
The question that needs to be answered first by you is just what are you trying to get out of your car? Are you upgrading with a purpose or are you just upgrading to spend money? There are some good ideas here however many are geared toward Autocross and HPDE. If your not into that and are just looking at improving a DD several of these ideas will be worse for you in the long run. (i.e. R-comp on actual streets is a bad idea).

@ ColonelSanders85, what kind of racing do you do where stock rims just won't cut it? Is what ever class or level you run in so competitive that you just 'have to have' a $1200 set of rims to save 16lbs of unsprung weight? Lets be honest here, most people, even some of those who race competitive will not notice the difference between a set of high performance rims and stocker with quality tires. Those that actually will be at a level that they will know what they need and won't come here asking very vague questions. They will have a game plan and any questions will be very specific towards their stated goal.