Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Sways install and other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sways install and other Q's

I was planning on getting the hotchkis sways but I hear the front is a PITA to install. I haven't had any experience installing anything under the car yet, so I was curious what places actually install the sways. From what I read on here, I could probably do the rear sway myself, but I don't have any jacks or stands, but I should have the necessary tools.
So my questions are thus:
Which jacks/stands would I need to do such an install, how much would they be, and where would I get them? (I'm on the northwest side of chicago)
Where would I get the front installed and for approximately how much?
For street driving would it just be better to get a rear only (like TRD) instead of trying the hotchkis pair? (I mainly want to reduce bodyroll when I turn. I kind of have a habit of turning at fairly high speeds.)
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just posted this on another thread... I don't know if you have already made your purchase but...

The TRD rear sway bar is manuf by Hotchkis also, which I put on my car about 2 weeks ago. I have done some research into this and have found that the front sway bar on the tC, though it does not have any settings should be very close to what you would get with an aftermarket sway bar (diamater wise) and therefore it is not really all that necessary to change out.

Now before anyone shreads me for saying that keep in mind that I say this for those of you who can't afford the $275 it costs to get both when its not that far off from what you get for simply spending $120 at McGeorges for the rear only. You may want to put that $150 you save toward some other thing you want for your car...

I will tell you that both my husband and I noticed a marked improvement over the stock rear sway bar. There was a big diamater difference in the bars themselves, I had my husband set it to race when he installed it. I am very happy with the change. I had orginally wanted to do both myself but opted not to.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Sways install and other Q's

any normal hydraulic jack and jack stands should be sufficient. kragen or any other auto parts store should have them in stock and for relatively cheap (i got mine for ~$30).

in terms of the hotchkis frt/rear vs. just rear trd, it really comes down to personal preference. for me, the trd rear sway is plenty for my daily driving (and i tend to enjoy turning at higher speeds too )
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I went from the TRD to the Hotchkis set and the diference is there plus the front is adjsutable. It is more thick than stock but not by much. I'm more satisfied with the Hotchkis set than just the TRD plus mine is also a DD.

Anyways if you have the $$$ buy the Hotchkis. If you're short on $$$ then go TRD.

As for the front sway install you'll need to drop a little the cross memberso you can change the sways and that my friend is the PITA. anyways good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah I would tend towards nixing the front sway. Just put the money towards a front strut tie bar which will do more (differently) than getting a front sway bar.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sddykstr
Yeah I would tend towards nixing the front sway. Just put the money towards a front strut tie bar which will do more (differently) than getting a front sway bar.
I already got the DC Sports strut bar. It doesn't really seem to improve handling. Just makes my tC feel a lot less like it's going to tear in half when I turn quickly.

For street driving would you guys say the hotchkis set shows a vast improvement over just the rear sway alone?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the Progress Rear Sway Bar...
just installed it works Hella F'in Tight!!..

Just used some portable ramps to install
took about an hour to install it!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'd say, save up some money and go with the Hotchkis set. You could fully adjust the sways to the setting you want them to be and feel the difference. It's just a matter of tuning up.

But if you're really tight on budget, go for the TRD sway bar or get the Progress rear sway bar.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah if you decide to get the hotchkis set, make sure you have the patience of a saint. try every possible way to wiggle it in. i had to try three times. but i was worth it all the way.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
Originally Posted by sddykstr
I already got the DC Sports strut bar. It doesn't really seem to improve handling. Just makes my tC feel a lot less like it's going to tear in half when I turn quickly.

For street driving would you guys say the hotchkis set shows a vast improvement over just the rear sway alone?
I had TRD and swapped it for the Hotchkis set and there is a diference and yes it feels better if you can get the Hotchkis, you won't regret it!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It's just another way of saying "You get what you paid for!"

Hotchkis all the way!!! Woot woot!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I take it the majority says the PITA is worth the improvement? And yeah, I got the cash, but still would like to limit the amount I spend. The hotchkis is pretty inexpensive though so that's not an issue at all. Still a little worried about installing the front myself... Might have to buckledown and see how much the dealer would try to charge for it.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There's a step by step guide on how to install the front sway at the hotchkis website. It makes the install hard because you have to remove a lot of parts just to put that piece of metal and there's a lot of torqued bolts along the way. Just be careful not to snap one. :D
Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or strip one
Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My experience with the front wasn't good. I had a car lift but it lifted from the wheels and trying to install the front in this manner does not work. I actually shifted the power steering and had to get it fixed at the dealership. I spent $420 to get the front installed since I messed it up so bad. Would have cost just $80 if I went to the dealership... :/ Live and learn. Rear was really easy though.

My front is set to the softest and the rear is on the middle setting. It feels so much better. I also got the Hotchkis springs in a package set with the sways from TRDSparks and the car just slides around corners if I'm going to fast. So much fun, just a slight oversteer is perfect. Don't make the mistake of trying to accelerate too much in a corner though, its still fwd.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ dang man thats a bummer. yeah the power steering was a biscut and was always in the way when i tried to wiggle it it. but when you do install it, your supposed to have the car sitting on the wheels so stuff doesnt shift when you unbolt it. i fortunatly had access to a drive on lift. huzzah for high school auto shops!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default hotchkis front sway bar

edit - PPC - cherryBox
Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have the TRD rear sway and i have to say i'm pretty satisfied with it..i'm glad i read this before buying the front sway as it seems there really inst a difference