Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

tein basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tein basic questions

Ok tried doing a search and really did not find an answer I was looking for...

What other suspension upgrades should I get with tein basics? I sorta read that some brands do not go well with other brands...not really sure, was just browsing a bit.

TIA! :D
Old 06-28-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

theres a ton out now,

springs: trd, tanabe, eibach, just to name a few

coilovers: tein: basic, SS-P, SS-P w/ EDFC, megan racing, progressive

try searching for those.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no no no, thats is not what I am asking.

I am going to get tein basics, I just want to know what brand sway bars, camber kits, etc. should I get with the tein basics.

I know someone else on these forums are running basics with other suspension upgrade, I just want to know what is a good setup without running into any problems.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

From my experience with lowring springs the best out there is Tein and Nuespeed. Of course Neuspeed is just for Volkswagen and Honda. I have had several brands on numerous cars. If you are looking for street performance and not sacrafice much ride comfort, then go with the Tein street springs or TRD springs. Stay with lowering springs and for get the adjustable coilover springs. They are horrible ride quality and do not have specific spring rates for your Ride. Unless you want to spend the big money and get the built in adjustable Coil over assembly. As for struts, don't waste your money on cheap struts like Monroe or Gabriel. Go ahead and spend the money on KYB or Koni lowered struts specifically made for lowering. Most stock struts or cheap aftermarket struts are not meant to travel constantly in the lowered position thus creating leaks due to constant high pressure and you could have bottoming out issues.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have trd rear sway bar , its work, but i have heard good things about progressive.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

camber shouldn't be an issue. with the tein springs, it doesn't change the camber enough to affect the tires/thread. If for some reason you are one of the unfortunate ones...just look around your local tire shops for the front camber kit for the TC (no rear available)
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the basics and im going to order Hotchkis front and rear sway bar set in like a week....already have a dc sport front strut bar and only other thing im going to do is get the rear strut bar and thats it....i guess
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Didnt I read somewhere that Tein coilovers and Hotchkis sways dont mix well. Some rubbing issue or something. Could be wrong......All I know is I had the Hotchkis sway with TRD springs and it was the biggest hassle ive had with this car. I have the TRD sway now and love it.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about progress front and rear sway....any problems with them as far as fitment issues or rubbing with tein basics or any other suspension?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

good question....

im looking into some basics...

Supa where u ordering them from?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

from what i remember the hotchkis from sways rub with basics on. i personally have basics with a trd rear sway and it's fine. if you want more handling, go with some sticky tires.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hotchkis front and teins rub because most people over lower them. pogress doesn't have a front sway. only hotchkis and suspension techniques have front and rear sways. hotchkis also have camber adjustable "rear camber links" but they probably won't be necessary. hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Didnt I read somewhere that Tein coilovers and Hotchkis sways dont mix well. Some rubbing issue or something. Could be wrong......
Yeaa..I read that in another thread but I forgot which one...

Thats why I am asking of good combinations with the tein basic coilovers to avoid crap like that the first time...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Papispico
good question....

I got them from www.hopupracing.com for $845 shipped
Old 06-30-2006, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by werd
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Didnt I read somewhere that Tein coilovers and Hotchkis sways dont mix well. Some rubbing issue or something. Could be wrong......
Yeaa..I read that in another thread but I forgot which one...

Thats why I am asking of good combinations with the tein basic coilovers to avoid crap like that the first time...

Yeah I wouldnt wish what I went through on my worst enemy
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people with basics how you guys like them?? rough ride? would you do it again if u ccould do it over? sry im debating between these n megans, i know megans have dampening control but i dont think i will have the time to try a setting not like it and take all the tires off re-do it then try again so yeha let me know how u guys like them
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had the Tein S-techs installed thursday. The ride is great!!! The car looks leveled, no more of that nose down attitude, car is smooth, not bouncy as most think.
Like others said up above, might want to change the shocks, don't want them to bottom out. I have the tein springs, DC front strut bar, monster motorworks rear strut bar. And no, you don't really need cambers. If you want to get them for the front, then by all means, it's your car, do so, but personally, i don't think i need them. I'm going to post pics today, you'll see the car isn't lowered enough on the suspension to affect the thread of the tires. With the springs, i got a 2.5in drop in the front and 2.0in rear. Car still looks good w/stock rims, gap between tire and wheel well is very minimum. I live in NY, so believe, my car is going thru the tests of the roads!!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im the one that started the tein and hotchkiss thread...

Tein coilovers move the mount point for the endllink in return brings the sway bar closer. If you dont over lower be no problem.. even if you do over lower the little rubbing is no big deal.

Check the sig for parts
Old 07-02-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by supawhite8
Originally Posted by Papispico
good question....

I got them from www.hopupracing.com for $845 shipped
Damn thats expensive... check the sig man...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freestyle789
people with basics how you guys like them?? rough ride? would you do it again if u ccould do it over? sry im debating between these n megans, i know megans have dampening control but i dont think i will have the time to try a setting not like it and take all the tires off re-do it then try again so yeha let me know how u guys like them
compared to stock the ride quality is a little harsh when going over uneven bumps and surfaces, but then again handling feels great with a lot less body roll then stock.

As far as installing them no way i would do it again. pain in the butt , unless someone paid me

Quick Reply: tein basic questions