Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

tein coilovers for tc

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tein coilovers for tc

i was debating either to get the tein basic coilovers, or the tein super street coilovers...but i dont know if the extra 350 is worth it for the "16 levels of damping force"...any help or opinions
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmmm EDFC.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDFC??
Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard Basic makes the ride bumpy. Couple people were selling them.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically its like putting lowering springs on your car, just able to adjust the height? and the super street coilovers actually smooth the ride?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) makes it possible for the driver to control the damping force at the touch of a button while in the driverfs seat.

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html
Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooook, so what does the dampening force really do, and do the super street coilovers come with it?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

dampening force pretty much means the difference between some stiff suspension and a bumpy ride, or loosened suspension and a more comfortable ride
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
dampening force pretty much means the difference between some stiff suspension and a bumpy ride, or loosened suspension and a more comfortable ride
nice job ty!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

thank you, i try
Old 02-01-2008, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got the ss+p's. its not the dampening i cared about, it was the top mounts that i didnt need to cut off my stocks.. haha i'm lazy
Old 02-01-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, whats the main dif b/t the 2 super street ones..i know ones around 1100, and the other is like 1400
Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the answer to your question all depends on what your goals are for the suspension. if its for the purpose of racing then adjustability (compression and rebound) is very important and you should get the ss-p. if its just for looks or to stiffen up the ride for the twisties on your daily commute then you should really look into buying another coilover. the spring rates on the tein coilovers are pretty dramatic and will actually perform worse on the bumpy public roads.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im not gonna be in professional races, more just like better handling for my car, and want it to be lowered, but i wunna keep a smooth, or decent ride
Old 02-02-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ you might wanna think about getting springs and shocks first
Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drummer829
well im not gonna be in professional races, more just like better handling for my car, and want it to be lowered, but i wunna keep a smooth, or decent ride
take it from someone who has the tein coilovers...you are not going to like how stiff the springs are on public streets. they are great on a groomed track but the little bumps and undulations on public streets make for a rough ride.

you should probably just stick with lowering springs because you really wont have a need to adjust the ride height. i imagine s-tech's will do the job...and their spring rate isnt nearly as stiff as the tein coilovers.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i dissagree
i dont race or autocross my car (yet) and i have the H&R coilovers, and being that in 2.5 years of owning the car and putting over 73000 miles on it, i want to make sure my daily commute is fun and sporty, i hated stock height and ride, and then i got hotchkis springs, it was ok but it was lacking in certain areas, when i got my H&R coilovers it was like a brand new car! the ride was better and handling was 10x better. and thats for your daily commute. i plan on adding Hotchkis Sways and the Dezod endlinks to finish my suspension and make daily driving even more fun, then maybe ill give autocrossing a shot.

to the OP DEFINATLY get coilovers! you wont be dissapointed, and there are other options then just tien. H&R makes nice ones (i know from personal experiance) K-Sports are nice, Tanabes are nice, Progress, TRD, B&G just do a search on them find out which ones are right for you. if i had the money i would have went with either HKS or Zeal because they are both super comfortable, but then again i heard that the SSPs on the softest settings are pretty nice too, even in the middle. and you can get up on 3 wheels with it on the hardest setting, ask tC909
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

also on a side note, nothing is better then dialing in your own ride height! i had the front raised a little during snow, then as soon as teh snow went away BAM back down another inch and as soon as winter is DONE down another inch. slammed baby!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

With good shocks, there's three main ways to account for ride/stability.

1) Compression damping is the setting for how easily/quickly the shock compresses when it's loaded.
2) Rebound is how quickly the shock returns to steady-state.
3) Preload is the amount of compression on the spring, not counting load - known on bikes as "sag" (which is really the total of adjustments)

A good suspension setup takes time and trial-and-error to get right.

Scott
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dex
Originally Posted by Drummer829
take it from someone who has the tein coilovers...you are not going to like how stiff the springs are on public streets. they are great on a groomed track but the little bumps and undulations on public streets make for a rough ride.

you should probably just stick with lowering springs because you really wont have a need to adjust the ride height. i imagine s-tech's will do the job...and their spring rate isnt nearly as stiff as the tein coilovers.
I agree in a way, tein coilovers might be too stiff for you if you drive in metropolitan areas (depends where), I drove my car to dallas and I didnt realize how harsh my ssps are on those streets (any damper settings) but then my ride height is also set very low so that could be the biggest factor, otherwise on most cases its not too harsh and handles like a champ..

I agree with davedave too, do your homework before you choose and you will not regret getting coilovers..

Quick Reply: tein coilovers for tc