Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Lowering Springs concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default TRD Lowering Springs concerns

I was thinking about getting the lowering springs for my tC, but after reading some things on this forum, I'm a little anxious about getting it done now. With what I've heard about them causing added wear on the suspension and blown shocks/struts, is it smart to get the TRD springs with the stock suspension. And what experiences have people had so far with the TRD springs and stock suspension? Can I expect to prematurely dish out money in the future for new shocks/struts? I was looking for improved handling and appearance, but I don't want this to result in more trouble in the near future. I've read that some people on this forum need new shocks/struts within one year of installing the springs. Now I'm thinking it's better to just leave the car alone.

Also, what are people paying for the entire setup (cost of the springs + installation)?

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just bought a set of trd shocks and springs. the way i think about it is that gabe at precison muffler will charge 150 to install shocks and springs. or he can charge 150 to jus install the springs and then another 150 at a later date to install the shocks. so ur savin ur self pain and money in the long run by doin it all at once.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you can just DIY for well Free. Its a really easy task, if you are mechanicaly/techicaly inclined enough to have the knowhow to do it on your own. While Performance Springs will give the car a more aggresive looking stance, it should not be done just for the looks. They are meant for Performance, not appearence. So basically im saying if you really appreciate the stock ride then leave it stock.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any lowering spring will reduce the lifespan of the stock shocks to a degree, but the lower you go the more dramatic the wear will be. The TRD springs are the mildest drop available so of all the lowring springs, they will be the easiest on the shocks. If you can afford to install the TRD shocks at the same time as the springs then do it. The install isn't that hard, but it's not something you will want to do more than once if you can help it...especailly if you are paying to have them installed.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Any lowering spring will reduce the lifespan of the stock shocks to a degree, but the lower you go the more dramatic the wear will be. The TRD springs are the mildest drop available so of all the lowring springs, they will be the easiest on the shocks. If you can afford to install the TRD shocks at the same time as the springs then do it. The install isn't that hard, but it's not something you will want to do more than once if you can help it...especailly if you are paying to have them installed.
I have to agree. Well stated. When you lower a car you put more stress on the suspension. The stock shocks will last roughly 30K miles on the TRD's depending on driving. Your driving style has a lot to do with wear on suspension. If you are an aggressive driver things will tend wear quicker.

Personally I always change out the struts when I lower a car. If you can install them yourself it doesn't really matter much. Just keep in mine that everytime you take the strut off you're going to be payin another $60-$100 for an alignment.

**shameless plug**
If you're looking for the springs or struts let me know.

Springs
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=325

Shocks
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=324

Josh
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If your going to do the springs I would recommend doing the shocks at the same time. I bought my set from McGeorge Parts for $579.00 Its a pretty easy install if you dont mind putting in the time to do it.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree with Reese. Get if from McGeorge! It will be cheaper than trdsparks.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the website it looks that way... but i got my springs from trd and i got them pretty quick... installing springs yourself is easier with 2 people... i didn't buy new shocks but i'll prolly will when i get some money... plus i like working on my car gives me something to do in my extra time...
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just do it yourself, took me two hours and that includes lunch and washing the car. All u need are spring compressors, metric socket set, jakc, and stands to go quicker. I installed the strut bar at the same time as well. So save sum money and spend it on food instead, and tool rental at autozone is free only 60 dollar deposit