Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD rear sway bar installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default TRD rear sway bar installed!

it was a slight PITA as i have a Tsudo catback exhaust which got obscenely in the way. however, once all was said and done, the sway bar was in there on the race setting (inside hole) well, i don't have my lowering springs in yet, but i already feel a HUGE difference. there is NOTICEABLY less body roll; i'm sure the TRD springs will further help this issue. so far, i couldn't be happier. the through-the-turn response is excellent.

there's this one big intersection where i always wait for a left-turn green arrow. normally, i can't accelerate spiritedly through the turn b/c the car leans too much, which makes me feel uncomfortable when i have to compensate for the lean coming out of the corner. today i tested the new setup and wow. coming out of the corner feels so much crisper and less taxing now. i really can't even explain how impressed i am. 2 thumbs way up for TRD on this one.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is good to hear. I have one sitting in my room waiting to go on. It's too damn cold
Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ExpresScion
This is good to hear. I have one sitting in my room waiting to go on. It's too damn cold
haha i hear ya. it was sitting in my room for two months but since my cars goin in the shop tomorrow for my TT stage 1 kit, i figured i might as well start actually putting some suspension upgrades on the car lol. if you can find a way to install it, do it ASAP. it really is the best thing i've done to my car in terms of overall street performance (at least for the next week until i'm turbo'd )
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

im still debating on getting this for my DD.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
im still debating on getting this for my DD.
DD? Daily driver?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

yup
Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

there should be no debating lol. while it's very true that i could really care less about a super smooth factory ride, i have not noticed any sacrifice in ride quality. that coupled with the improvements in handling far outweigh any concerns about a daily driver. you will NOT regret it. seriously, it's unbelievable.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default On my to do list

I use my Scion as a driver (see DD above) and am defintely going to put one on. It has the most impact on tC handling for a suspension upgrade. The next in order of impact would be springs. Further upgrades really won't be noticeable until your closs to the limit.

At this point unless you are doing autocrosses or high speed road racing, spend your money elsewhere. If you do plan to autocross your tC on weekends; install the TRD front sway bar and start stripping weight out of your TC (Reducing your unsprung weight will have the biggest impact on performance).

Front strut bars do vitually nothing for the TC given the front strut towers are tied into the firewall. Rear strut bar/frames really are only needed if you are autocrossing or road racing.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

probably the best mod I have done handling wise other than new tires. The sway reduces ride mostly on uneven bumps, since it removes some independence, but the TRD is about the best balance between ride and performance. Great mod for sure.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still not sure what to get. Hotchkis Front & Rear Sways or the TRD Rear Sway.
engifineer; what setting do you have your sway bar at?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
I'm still not sure what to get. Hotchkis Front & Rear Sways or the TRD Rear Sway.
I'm sure the hotchkis would be stiffer combined than the TRD bar, but it comes down to what you want. it totally changes the car's balance and handling dynamics
Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

if it stopped raining I would put mine on too..........glad to hear it does make a differance in handling...........got it for cheap so either way I was happy...........
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the TRD rear sway is gonna be my first mod this spring along with a short throw shifter.
im glad you like your new mod and good luck with the turbo setup
Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer
I'm sure the hotchkis would be stiffer combined than the TRD bar, but it comes down to what you want. it totally changes the car's balance and handling dynamics
Hotchkis will be pretty stiff but I think it is well worth it (stiff enough to where everytime I pull into my driveway my back wheel lifts off of the ground lol)... I also agree that uneven bumps is when it is noticed during the ride but other than I don't think there is that much of a difference in ride quality. Glad you like the TRD rear sway and I am watching your TT thread to see the results! Be sure to have someone record you doing a few pulls in it...
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
the TRD rear sway is gonna be my first mod this spring along with a short throw shifter.
im glad you like your new mod and good luck with the turbo setup
thanks bro! car goes in the shop tomorrow... can't wait
Old 12-20-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you use stock endlinks? or does it come with new ones?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
Hotchkis will be pretty stiff but I think it is well worth it (stiff enough to where everytime I pull into my driveway my back wheel lifts off of the ground lol)... I also agree that uneven bumps is when it is noticed during the ride but other than I don't think there is that much of a difference in ride quality. Glad you like the TRD rear sway and I am watching your TT thread to see the results! Be sure to have someone record you doing a few pulls in it...
yeah i agree that hotchkis would be pretty sweet as well. one more week until i'm turbotoyotified!! i'm so excited it's ridiculous haha. i dunno if you saw my first vid that i posted today of the pre-turbo tC, but my second vid once i get the car back is going to be insane. i'm going to give an in-depth review of the kit as well as some vids of my tC raping.. i mean racing.. a few of my friends' cars including a chipped jetta gli, mazda rx-8, and hopefully a new modified mustang GT.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aroddalobster
for which? i believe both utilize the stock... i know TRD does for a fact
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i agree that hotchkis would be pretty sweet as well. one more week until i'm turbotoyotified!! i'm so excited it's ridiculous haha. i dunno if you saw my first vid that i posted today of the pre-turbo tC, but my second vid once i get the car back is going to be insane. i'm going to give an in-depth review of the kit as well as some vids of my tC raping.. i mean racing.. a few of my friends' cars including a chipped jetta gli, mazda rx-8, and hopefully a new modified mustang GT.
Yeah I would be excited too and while you are at it post some dyno numbers too! I am hoping to be 'turbotoyotified' soon too, stage 2 that is :D I am talking with Todd and my bank right now... so a purchase is in the near future! Once I do, I will be sure to post vids of me vs. my friends Golf GTI (tuned at 18psi), a cobalt SS stage 2, maybe the built mustang GT the guy at my work drives, and maybe one of the boosted scions in the area... good luck!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aroddalobster
for which? i believe both utilize the stock... i know TRD does for a fact
o ok. because i know that progress comes with its own endlink. just wanted to make sure. thanx.

Quick Reply: TRD rear sway bar installed!