Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Strut/Springs install - Update/Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Strut/Springs install - Update/Review

If anyone has done the TRD Strut/Spring combo install themselves, maybe shed a little light on helpful tips. I am going to tackle this project next weekend and just thought I would ask about tools needed, shortcuts, etc. I know I need a spring compressor and was thinking about getting a battery powered impact wrench with 300 ft lbs of torque. Suitable to compress the springs? Worth the money if I cannot get access to compressed air? I just want to make sure if start this project, I can finish this project. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by TotalChaos; 09-24-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I want to update so ppl can see review
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would also like to add I have looked at the install instructions for TRD springs from TRD sparks and it seems simple enough but I want to make sure. Can I hand crank on the spring compressor to compress the springs enough to fit onto the TRD struts? This is my biggest concern.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do the job with basic tools. An impact wrench would help, but it isn't necessary. Don't buy one just for this job.
A spring compressor helps.
I couldn't tell you exactly which tools without going out to my car. I remember the socket you need doesn't come in a regular 1/2" drive metric socket set.
Having a second person really helps.
The first time I did this, I made sure the guy who helped me had done it before. Now, I can do it in my sleep.
I would recommend you search for someone's install notes. I'm sure there are several posts.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A word of advice,
to make things easy, take the new springs and shocks down to a shop or dealership and pay the $30 to have them compress the springs for you and mount them on the shocks. This part is pretty dangerous and a pain in the azz. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward, I did it in one afternoon following the directions step by step. It's easier if you have 2 people, so that one person can push the brake assembly out of the way while you pull out the old shocks and put in the new ones, but it can be done by one person
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only "difficult" part is getting the nut holding the top hat off. Other then that, it's extremely straight forward.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate the feedback. I have looked at several DIY and some other posts but wanted to make sure those articles/threads were not missing anything. Well, since so many others have done it, it should not be an issue.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. Like others said, the install is very straight forward. Dont pay someone to put them on. Buy a $20 spring compressor. The most difficult part is the top bolt, it spins the center of the shock which adds some frustration. Lol good luck dude. Post pics after the install.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The top nut spins cuz first time installers don't know how to use a hex key to hold the piston from spinning then use an OPEN ended wrench to tighten the nut down.

Spring compressor is a 90% must for first time installers.

Don't buy the compressors, rent them at the auto parts store. Then return them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally got the TRD Struts/Springs on my car! I like it but not as "firm" as I was hoping! Oh well. Hell of an experience installing them for the first time ever but pretty fun and gratifying after all said and done! Now I know just to get coilovers w/tophats b/c that was the worst part, transferring those over to the new struts/springs. Well, looking forward to a track day to really test to see how different they are from stock setup.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick follow up...I def like the new ride. I just adjusted my rear sway to tightest setting and it helped a bit to minimize body roll (of course). I really like how the car doesn't pitch so far forward during heavy braking and just gives a more stable feeling all around. I highly doubt these remotely compare to coilovers but this is how the car should have been built from factory. Plus, the car does look so much better lowered even though it is not completely "slammed". It suits my taste. Now, I hope to add some better wheels/tires to provide better grip and handling!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TotalChaos
Quick follow up...I def like the new ride. I just adjusted my rear sway to tightest setting and it helped a bit to minimize body roll (of course). I really like how the car doesn't pitch so far forward during heavy braking and just gives a more stable feeling all around. I highly doubt these remotely compare to coilovers but this is how the car should have been built from factory. Plus, the car does look so much better lowered even though it is not completely "slammed". It suits my taste. Now, I hope to add some better wheels/tires to provide better grip and handling!
do you think you can post pics? im thinking i might want to get the trd lowering springs but wanted to see how it looks on other peoples rides.