Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Struts Question........

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default TRD Struts Question........

Anybody know if the TRD struts are diferent in height. I question because I planned to install the TRD struts with the stock springs. If any have info about this I will apreciate, thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

no point in doing that. TRD struts are made for a TRD drop. I would leave the stock struts since your on stock suspension.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

Correction. The TRD struts are designed to perform at the factory height as well as on a lowered suspension. You can have the struts and not the springs but not the other way around because the factory struts are not designed to work with lowered cars, you would shorten the life of the factory strut. So there you have it.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jamakan
Correction. The TRD struts are designed to perform at the factory height as well as on a lowered suspension. You can have the struts and not the springs but not the other way around because the factory struts are not designed to work with lowered cars, you would shorten the life of the factory strut. So there you have it.
oh mah gawd!

waiting for other ppl to shine in
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jamakan
well, kind of. you can use lowering springs on factory struts, and you will be fine. but yes, it will probably shorten the life of the shocks a bit.

I'm not sure if its recommended to use TRD struts with factory springs or not. I DO know for sure that the TRD struts ARE shorter than the factory struts. THus the factory springs would have to be compressed much more to fit into the strut housing. Which would really impact handling and moreso ride quality would be very stiff.

I have been lowered on eibach springs (pro kit) for a couple years now, and on TRD struts for about a year. It seems to be a pretty good compromise for my tastes.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, the trd struts are shorter than the stock struts, i have them lying around in my shed, they are too tall for the boxes the trd struts and shocks were shipped in.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

and the fact that i really see no point in putting stock springs on TRD struts... really no point.

get some springs if you're gonna get those struts... save yourself the effort and time... and money (in the long run)