Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Upgrading sway bar endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by David616
I haven't bought the endlink yet. I just went to the dealership to see how much it would run me. The nut that was screwed on isn't there anymore and I've tried to find the right nut for it and I can't seem to find the right size. The bottom part of the endlink is broken because all the grease is goo-ing out. So I figured it was time to replace both endlinks with aftermarket products if anyone makes some.

Do you know of anyone who makes any aftermarket endlinks?
OK, the grease is gooing out because it's flexing a lot more than it should. It doesn't mean it's broken. Is the stud in good shape or is it beat up? The nut is available from Toyco, if its for the front it's a 10 x 1.25 (typical Japanese thread, European is more common, it's 10 x 1.5). I'd spend a buck on a new nut before I'd drop a lot of money on end links.

I'm planning to do something for the fronts, I just need to talk to my buddy with the machine shop before I say anything about it. You'll still need the stock pieces though, just because it's hard to find sealed ball joints with the kind of capacity the OEM pieces have in the aftermarket. That is unless someone has a connection to a manufacturer/distributor???
Old 09-29-2005, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... with all these endlink/sway bar issues, could it be the sway bars themselves?
Could it be the flex on the different curvatures..?
After lookin @ whats available...

Possible...
Endlinx are a pain findin though...anyone else with any luck?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

endlinks on hotchkis sway bars?

sounds lik trouble of being OVERLY stiff to me.
but i can be wrong. someone test this out and share.

try contacting progress about buying endlinks
Old 10-04-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive had the Hotchkis sways for about 10,000 miles without any problems at all.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE

I took a look at the end links on my Supra over the weekend. It has a 35mm front swaybar. Much larger than the tC or the Hotchkis. It has 8mm rod end links and 8mm studs. I'm going to install the end links from the '96 Camry rear and see how they work. The only drawback is the 10mm holes and the 8mm studs, but that's not a big issue in many ways. Hitting the swaybar with the tie rod end in a parking lot seems to be more than annoying.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

my friend is running front and rear hotchkis sway bars and his endlinks just broke. he tried calling progress about buying the endlinks separately and he said they were an ___ and said he shouldve bought progress sway bar instead.

anyway is there an aftermarket endlink solution yet other than progress?

i am too thinking that the hotchkis sway bars are 50/50 defective. it can work depending if the installer does it correctly. but whoever installed the sway bars for my friend overtorqued the endlinks and broke the the internal stud inside the endlink.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So, it seems progress sways are making people happier I take it?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still running the '96 Camry end links (the small diameter ones) and they've performed just fine despite some severe beatings. If you overtorque anything it will break. That's installer error, not the fault of the sway or the endlink. If you use a torque wrench, these things don't happen.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Tein SS-P's installed and finally managed to install my Hotchkis Sway Bars about 2 weeks ago. I purchased '03 Camry front sway end links. They're shorter than the tC end links, but they're still 10 mm in diameter.

I've driven the car hard on day of install and a couple times every week around winding back roads. I've checked everything each time and so far, everything is fine. No unexpected sounds or problems. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We just cut and shortened the front links, on the rear cut, shortend and altered the orentation to match up better. We have some very serious roads around here and I have driven some quite agressively, not a problem with the stock ones yet

Once we get a few more things done like relocate the battery, etc, we are going to check the end links for preload, with me in the car, and make further adjustments as required so no preload.

Probably going to do something like Lance alluded to, weld on some couplings, etc, so we can have them adjustable next.

Rick
Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so are the progress endlinks any good?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They probably are, since Hotchkis does not make sways for the Mazda 3 my daughter is buying I will probably go for a progress bar and check out their end links as well, progress is a good company from what I have seen.

Rick
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

someone said they were using the 03 camrey front end links with tien ss-p any one have the part numbers for these . to raamaudio if you guys could make some adj front and rear endlinks i would be interested in buying some.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Intersting idea, we are not a suspension company but working with a couple that do different things, one does bushings, one does springs and coilovers, etc. I have to ensure no conflicts of interest due to my involvement with certain companies. There is a possiblity of getting somebody to make these for us specifically and I could be the GB guy I suppose, will see what I can work out.

I am also working with somebody on custom eurathane suspension bushings for our car, if going to that much trouble maybe they would like to make them available to all of us

Rick
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are the camry endlinks only used for the front sway? is there any upgrades to use for the rear swaybar endlinks?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds great i would love a urathane bushing kit for my car if you come up with any info on the endlinks keep me poasted
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member

i've broken endlinks on my car with the hotchkis sways. luckily i had someone hook me up with one cuz he got the progress and didn't need his stockies anymore.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a1racer
someone said they were using the 03 camrey front end links with tien ss-p any one have the part numbers for these . to raamaudio if you guys could make some adj front and rear endlinks i would be interested in buying some.

i got mine from www.car-stuff.com for about $50 (both left and right front links), part #L1030-140415

here's a direct link:
http://replacement.car-stuff.com/par...howdc=true#top
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any update on Hotchkis front sway issues?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i just bought the Hotchkis front and rear sways desipite what i've seen on this thread. Anyone have an update on the endlink issue? Also for the people running '03 camery endlinks, would you say they are stronger than the ones that come with the Hotchkis bars? should the Hotchkis endlinks be discarded right off the bat? as a rule i try not to drive my car into the ground, but i dont want the endlinks breaking with just the occasional aggressive driving.

Quick Reply: Upgrading sway bar endlinks