Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

what do ya'll think? Tein basics or TRD springs/shocks.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default what do ya'll think? Tein basics or TRD springs/shocks.....

opinions? TRD struts, springs and rear sway bar compared to TEIN Basic Damper coilovers........they are about the same price is why Im wondering.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

im goin tein basic just because coilovers giv you djustable ride heights wherehas the TRD shocks/springs is a fixed ride height.

ride quality might not be the same too. im thinking the TRD will give a better ride quality.

Also for some ppl say its harder for alignment if you go coilovers. Im not too sure about that though.

They are not the same price however. unless you're getting a really good deal on the teins. the trd set is around 500 and the teins are around 800 from what i've seen.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where have you found the springs and shocks togather for 500ish at? The cheapest I found was like 6
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the max ride height with the coilovers? Im not really planning on slamming my car but i want the performance
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

http://www.newscionparts.com/product/?id=1163

299 for trd shocks
and
around 160ish for springs at mcgeorge or trdsparks?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BASICS.

just got mine today :D
Old 03-24-2005, 08:13 AM
smn
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey dae. how are the basics? i live in hi too i've seen you on the road a few times
Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

BASICS! I love mine.

Dae, let me know how yours turn out!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

smn - i haven't got them on yet. i'll definitely let you know how they ride after tomorrow. you should post in the HI section. lots of us there. flash your highs next time you see me on the road too! heh

niks - definitely. btw, did you turn yours all the way down? pm me.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's apples and oranges. I ran Tein SS on my (R.I.P.) del Sol for a number of years, and absolutely loved the suspension. But don't fool yourself into thinking that fullly adjustable coilovers have anything in mind but performance-- they care not for your comfort. The Teins were absolutely punishing on very long trips, even with damping force turned all the way down. And that was taking into account the ride compliance of a 15" wheel and tire, not a rubberband skinny 17".

And trust me, the tC is a whole different beast. I don't see the advantage of Basics, as they lack damping adjustability, and are therefore "compromise" shocks-- linear damping force becomes an issue when (as most folks seem to do) the perches are wound all the way down and they're at full drop. The damping works best somewhere in the middle.

So as a strong proponent of Tein, and previous user of their products, I gladly and quickly bought the TRD Shock/Spring/Sway set. Fixed drop is less of a hassle. Drop once, align once. No messing with the corner weighting, no re-zeroing the sways with every height change, no damping adjustment depending on what I'm doing that day, no mixing and matching spring rates to set the car, no shimmying under the car on my back to adjust camber links... the price of absolute performance is a high one in dollars as well as time spent.

So decide how dedicated you are, as there is no in between. If you just throw on a set of Basics or SS, and don't go through the necessary steps to tune the suspension, you just threw your money away on $800-1200 worth of height adjustability. There is no halfway with suspension tuning. The TRD kit is far more "streetable", and better suited to 90% of the drivers out there-- much lower bling factor though, I will admit. I recognize that the TRD setup is something fo a compromise as well... but if I'm going to compromise, it may as well be comfortable and come with a warranty.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much of an improvement over stock is the TRD setup? Im actually looking more towards TRD now that I have seen some pictures of the setup and I have found the stuff for reasonable prices.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So decide how dedicated you are, as there is no in between. If you just throw on a set of Basics or SS, and don't go through the necessary steps to tune the suspension, you just threw your money away on $800-1200 worth of height adjustability. There is no halfway with suspension tuning. The TRD kit is far more "streetable", and better suited to 90% of the drivers out there-- much lower bling factor though, I will admit. I recognize that the TRD setup is something fo a compromise as well... but if I'm going to compromise, it may as well be comfortable and come with a warranty.

Very cogent and well-put.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

TEIN basics hands down over the TRD stuff...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

i just got the TRD Shocks And Springs for $545 @
http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com and it like $30 for shipping.
Now i just have to figure out how to put the damn things on. N E one know where i can find the installation procedure and tools i need?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikeso7o
i just got the TRD Shocks And Springs for $545 @
http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com and it like $30 for shipping.
Now i just have to figure out how to put the damn things on. N E one know where i can find the installation procedure and tools i need?
http://zoltiz.com/cars/tc/files/
Old 03-26-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Well to go along with dr.isotope I partly agree and would say if you go with coilovers step up to the Super Street and buy the EDFC so you can adjust it from inside your car wiith ease.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's my tC with basics.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member

The compromise with coil overs is the price vs. the simplicity. As others have said, the TRD shock/spring/bar is an easy one step and forget it combo. The Tein (which I love btw) at the basic level is more of a "look mommy I have coil overs!" They will give you improvements, but they lack the adjustibility you get when you spend more money.

Honestly, when I get the cash saved up for mine, its going to be the TRD. I still have to drive in Charlotte traffic and over our pot hole filled roads. I don't want to feel like any moment I'm going to see those nice coil overs slamming through the hood due to their dampining force. If I'm going coil over in the future, it's going to be with the Tein Super Street or something that I can adjust from tooth cracking, track monster, to something my girl friend will actually ride in.