Notices

Do all tires have to match?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Do all tires have to match?

Hello Everyone-

So I got a nail in the sidewall of my rear driver side tire. I have Bridgestones. My question is, can I replace that one tire with another brand? OR should I stick with the Bridgestone??

Thanks and sorry if this has already been asked
Old 06-29-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as the tire is the same size as the others, you should be alright. Personally, It would bother me too much to have a tire not match the others (brand-wise). I'm **** like that! I would just stick to the same brand.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Do all tires have to match?

I see a couple choices in this scenario. If you're happy with the current tires and they don't have too many miles on them, then I'd suggest getting the exact same brand & model as a replacement. If they're worn or you want to upgrade performance, then get a new pair of sticky tires you like for the front, and rotate your front tires to the rear.

You could get a non-matching brand/model of the same size, but that's only acceptable (imo) if you don't intend to do any "performance driving". It's best to at least have matching tires per axle (front or rear) for both safety & performance.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member

I 2 got a nail in my tire, I replaced it with another brand, ofcourse the same size. Problem is the light for the tire presure keeps on turning on, now I don't know what's the cause of that but is really anoying. By the way I keep checking the psi on all the tires that's not the problem, so I really have no idea what's wrong with it.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default varying size

I just talked to my uncle who works for a tire place and he said that tires of the same dimension can vary in actual size by 7% depending on the brand.

For example, the Yokema and the Bridgestones are labeled the same but may vary in actual size.

So word to the wise... stick with the same brand on all 4 tires so as to prevent odd wear on the tires.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

having a different brand for one tire isnt that big of a deal
Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

I know it's not a big deal but it sure doesn't look and wear out the same as the rest, even dough is the same size. Also the tc has a very inteligent mechanism that can recognize something odd with the tires, that's the reason my light in the dash board keeps on turning on.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have the stock RE92's then you could change the two back tires to another brand and keep the other stock tire as a spare. if you have a spare rim then you could do a full size spare if you don't mind the fitment issues in the rear bay.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Do all tires have to match?

Originally Posted by ForceNut
Hello Everyone-

So I got a nail in the sidewall of my rear driver side tire. I have Bridgestones. My question is, can I replace that one tire with another brand? OR should I stick with the Bridgestone??

Thanks and sorry if this has already been asked
The size does make a little difference but to be honest as long as its not to much bigger or smaller from the others it wont make a huge difference. Although try to keep the same size tires for the front. If you have 1 tire that is bigger or smaller than the other you can cause your car to pull one way instead of keeping straight.

Also you have to make sure the tires have the same tread design. If you have directional tires that are different than that would work because the tread is designed to pull a certain way.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I only get pairs...either 2 tires or 4... i would never just buy one tire