OK, Thanks for that clarification
yup
Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: If you upgraded to the 18-inch wheels, *** READ THIS ***

[size=9]Cover more ground surface with every revolution of the wheel and fill up those wheel wells with these [color=red]
This isnt true. An 18"inch wheel with 40 series tires, is the same diameter as the stock 17"s. You will nto travel any firther or fill up the wheel well any more.

Get them for false advertisement while your at it.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
for radios, no...they keep the one that u upgraded from, becuz u get a credit
i.e. new iPod unit..buy the car and you want the unit after a few weeks, u get a credit from "us"-toyota towards the iPod, or at least you should

for other items, you SHOULD get to keep the parts you upgraded from UNLESS stated otherwise
its not a guarantee, some dealers keep the OEM wheels, tai lights,etc. if you upgrade, but u can ASK for them back.....not sure what they will say
but the first toyota dealer i worked at, we gave all stock parts back to the customers IF they asked for them
The credit for the stock radio is around $276 I believe, but only if you get the iPod radio with the new car. If you come back later, you don't get the credit because it is now a used radio, and the customer must pay full price for the iPod radio ($500-$600) but they get to keep the stock radio in that case. If you buy the iPod radio at time of new vehicle purchase, you get the credit, but not the stock radio.

With anything like taillights, door sill enhancements, auto-dim mirror, we put the old parts in the customer's trunk for them when they get the car. Even the little pieces that pop out of the xB's front bumper to install the fogs (not sure what you'd do with 'em though).
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by ShadyEye16
Originally Posted by ScionBandit
for radios, no...they keep the one that u upgraded from, becuz u get a credit
i.e. new iPod unit..buy the car and you want the unit after a few weeks, u get a credit from "us"-toyota towards the iPod, or at least you should

for other items, you SHOULD get to keep the parts you upgraded from UNLESS stated otherwise
its not a guarantee, some dealers keep the OEM wheels, tai lights,etc. if you upgrade, but u can ASK for them back.....not sure what they will say
but the first toyota dealer i worked at, we gave all stock parts back to the customers IF they asked for them
The credit for the stock radio is around $276 I believe, but only if you get the iPod radio with the new car. If you come back later, you don't get the credit because it is now a used radio, and the customer must pay full price for the iPod radio ($500-$600) but they get to keep the stock radio in that case. If you buy the iPod radio at time of new vehicle purchase, you get the credit, but not the stock radio.

With anything like taillights, door sill enhancements, auto-dim mirror, we put the old parts in the customer's trunk for them when they get the car. Even the little pieces that pop out of the xB's front bumper to install the fogs (not sure what you'd do with 'em though).
yes, i understand that. didn't really explain it. we give them a few weeks to upgrade with the credit, anything after 2/3weeks of purchasing the car, they pay full price
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what are all these dealers doing with all the "take-off" stock 17" wheels & tires? Are they sold back to TMC for placement on "new" tCs coming off the assembly line?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a rip for 18" rims & tires. You could get a better set up through discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com. (AND its still less expensive then the 'upgrade'.) That's what I did. I didn't want to look like everybody else who 'upgrades'. Good luck on getting your stock 17"s back.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 18's came w/ pzero neros, and boy are they wearing fairly quick... i'll be due by about 18K
Old 02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by DynomyteSW
my 18's came w/ pzero neros, and boy are they wearing fairly quick... i'll be due by about 18K
are they that bad?? ive got 20k on my OEM tires...and thats got a few auto-x races and some 1/4 mile runs as well
Old 02-25-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i feel that they do wear really fast... i have been to few drag test and tunes and i do drive pretty hard
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by nodsetse
So what are all these dealers doing with all the "take-off" stock 17" wheels & tires? Are they sold back to TMC for placement on "new" tCs coming off the assembly line?
Selling them on their website:
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...6&parts_id=709

and ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-SCI...39979312QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion...40995004QQrdZ1

or even better, When some people mess up a rim. They "order" a new rim for over $400 at the dealer, and the dealer puts on a take-off they have sitting around.

If you didn't ask for the rims, then I don't feel bad for you. So a lot of these dealers are legit. If you DID ask and they said no or tried to charge you extra, then thats just wrong and you should report them to scion.

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
[size=9]Cover more ground surface with every revolution of the wheel and fill up those wheel wells with these [color=red]
This isnt true. An 18"inch wheel with 40 series tires, is the same diameter as the stock 17"s. You will nto travel any firther or fill up the wheel well any more.

Get them for false advertisement while your at it.
And no it's not false advertisement. The overall diameter of a 215/45/17 size tire is 24.61 inches. The overal diameter of a 225/40/18 size tire is 25.08 inches. A difference of .47 inches. With that extra 10 mm of width and .47 inches converted to millimeters you cover (11.93mm * 10mm = 119.3mm^2) You will cover 11.93 cm^2 of ground more per rotation with the enkei wheel/tire combo.

No false advertisement there.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

some dealers will keep them in stock, or sell them to techs/or local private parties as well
i got my spare set off a customers car who didn't want them, parts guy sold em to me for $250
Old 02-25-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
What a rip for 18" rims & tires. You could get a better set up through discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com. (AND its still less expensive then the 'upgrade'.) That's what I did. I didn't want to look like everybody else who 'upgrades'. Good luck on getting your stock 17"s back.

true that.........you can get some nice 18" with some really nice higher quality tires. PLUS thier is not debate about keeping the stock wheels.

If you look at the sticker on the window it says the PRICE inlcudes 17 inch rims, so if you ADD the 18" rim package, you still paid the sticker price plus the 1500.00 for the optional wheels, the 17" wheels are yours to keep, no ifs ands of buts.

NOW, if they gave you a credit towards the 18's rims and tires like 500.00 or something then they would get to keep the 17's........

why is it they dont offer a credit for the 17's is that a scion thing or a dealer thing?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
At Crown Scion they put them in the parts dept. and sell them as Take-Offs. Not sure what they charge for them, but i know thats what they do with the 17s left over from "Upgrades." This is why im glad my Uncle is a Parts Manager at a Toyota Dealership, i dont have to deal with the BS, and i get my parts at Associate Cost. :D
Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member

Update:

Heard back from Corporate, she talked to the guy at the dealership who does accessories ordering and installation. That guy has a call in to the regional parts manager about why the wrong tires were ordered. I think the issue from her perspective is less about the brand and more about the size, it was supposed to come with 225/40's but it came with 215/35's. She isn't aware of the price difference yet, I had already put the call in before I did all of this research. Back when I originally put that call in it was more about the next pair of tires than the current ones, but obviously my attitude has changed since finding out that somebody took a $400+ cut.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That really sucks that the dealer did that to you. Similar thing happened to me when i got my tc almost 2 yrs ago. I bought the car stock then paid full price for all accessories ans specifically asked for all my parts back. Thus being my car costing 28 grand. I drive off in stock then my mom takes the car in for the appointment to get everything installed in one day. The day after we get the car back but w/o parts. I go back and they said we dont get parts back since its upgrade. I told them and showed them papers that it was not upgrade but a full purchase. So new excuse is that they mislocated them. I finally got so angry that i came back next day and yelled at the manager and showed him my contract whcih i had shown b4. Threatened to call corporate the like magic they found my parts with in 10 min. It was full stock suspension, oem radio, sway bar, stock rims. On top of that the tire they installed on my car blew out then next week while normal driving. no nail or pot hole damage. and they refuse to believe it as defective, while a tire shop inspected it and said it was.
Well thats Scion of NoHo for you.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is pathetic, that is another example of a dealer trying to scam you..........
What is sad is dealerships (with a small percentage exempt) really work people over and bleed them for every last dollar, or percentage point, and they do it knowingly and that the public knows about this and government has done nothing to regulate or cap the industry, all the notices and leagal paperwork you sign really benifits the dealer, and protects the dealer from legal action. they want you to sign an arbitration agreement? that is what is hilarious, legally you are not obligated to sign it, I never do. AND if your refuse to sign it they seem to treat you better.....People need to know thier rights before going to buy a car, and be just as educated about the car they are buying as the law regarding your transaction.
Sales (direct retail) seems to be so corrupt and its sad how everyone accepts it, or thinks its normal, the good dealers need to put preasure on the bad dealers.
What burns me up is SCION was supposed to be different, and in most ways they are, but the dealers are trying to circumvent the entire sales and marketing system to pad thier pockets.
I have heard they make 250-300 for every car they sell, WOW and that is not enough, they need to shaft people like aacordon over something that is legally his.......
Old 02-28-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my car with the trd package.i dont know how much the rim and tires were because it was already included with the car.my car came stock with all this so i dont think the added price was that of a swap
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love PH toyota now...im gettin my stock rims today
Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member

RESOLVED

Dealership's service guy inspected the old tires for wear yesterday, said that he was surprised that they weared the way that they did. He talked for about 15 minutes with the sales manager without me, and then came back out to explain what they would do.

So basically I'm getting a new set of exactly the tires that the website specifies. To reinforce this, I checked with my sales guy to make sure that I paid full price for the upgrade (I did). So the service guy walks back outside with me and explains it this way: sales just specified the wheels, not the tires, so it was left up to parts ordering to pick the tires. Parts literally picked the cheapest tires that they could based on what sizes Scion recommended for those wheels, because without knowing what sales had committed to they had no idea what was supposed to be on there.

Intentional/deliberate/malicious? I'm going to say no. They were told to put tires on there, and being cost-conscious they put the cheapest ones on that they could. With that said, they need to understand that people come in with an expectation about what they are getting. If that's sales' fault for dropping the ball, OK, if that's parts ordering's fault for not knowing that Scion.com specifically notes Pirelli tires with every 18-inch upgrade across the product line, OK.

I'm very happy with the outcome, which I'm sure we can all appreciate is a rare thing when working with a dealership. Especially considering that I got 12K miles free on the original tires that they did put on there.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

glad to hear its resolved

Quick Reply: If you upgraded to the 18-inch wheels, *** READ THIS ***