Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Wheel & Tire (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-wheel-tire-1646/)
-   -   Potenza Woes... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-wheel-tire-1646/potenza-woes-71665/)

3min3m2 08-26-2006 02:29 PM

Potenza Woes...

ok, so i'm heading out of my house, and it starts pouring the rain...i mean like borderline hurricane...but, i say forget it and go on, have to get back to college.....

anyways, i'm driving along, i get up to about 35, then i feel my tires sliding....not a good feeling....so i back off a little, no ones around so i'm not holding anyone up

thinking its just the area im in(it gets deep fast there, u could see a little water running across road)i continue on.....then i get to the interstate...

after about 6 seconds,im scared, runnning like 30....everyone around me, from camrys to blazers to civics are just flying by me, and i can barely keep my a$$ on the ground.

the tires have 86000 miles, and i know the potenzas are not the best tires out there, but is this an isolated incedent(as in it happens to everyone with this much rain)or are the tires worn enough that i need new ones for the rain??

visibly the tires look good....they still have a ways to go, appear to be around 50-60% tread left....

thanks

engifineer 08-26-2006 03:46 PM

There is no way those tires have 50% left at 86000 miles. They are lucky to make 40k without being slicks. Are you sure you dont mean 8600 miles?

Hyghgynx 08-26-2006 07:39 PM

Maybe he means 8600 miles? That sounds more reasonable. If he did mean 86K, then CONGRADULATIONS!! :clap: Most peeps barely get 20-25K out of a stock tire. (Depending on how and where you drive.)

toeveryhour 08-26-2006 09:02 PM

Hmm, I have a little over 2K on mine and they are pretty good in wet conditions. I don't know what you're experiencing???

sciontc0115 08-26-2006 09:27 PM

i got to 8k on mine and decided to change them out when i was experienceing the same thing. I ended up getting some avid h4's LOVE THEM. Best tire ive driven on in awhile.

engifineer 08-26-2006 10:29 PM

I ran 34k on the stocks, they are fairly crappy tires, but did ok, I had a little wear left on them. They did tend to try an hydro more than some tires. I now have the Avon Tech M550's and LOVE them. Especially in the rain.

BSP07tC 08-26-2006 10:37 PM

Get some Toyo Proxes-4 tires. I had them on my 03 SI and they were great. Seemed better than the Potenzas on my tC and better Treadwear.

Zebman 08-27-2006 12:29 AM

Where about in WV were you driving? I live in the city so the roads are pretty smooth (minus my girlfriend's neighborhood out in the boonies, haha), but I know that roads can get pretty bad in more rural areas.

By the way, where you going to college? WVU or Marshall perhaps?

sciontc_mich 08-27-2006 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by BSP07tC
Get some Toyo Proxes-4 tires. I had them on my 03 SI and they were great. Seemed better than the Potenzas on my tC and better Treadwear.

yes i 2nd that.. toyo proxes4.. definitely a great tire.. and it is an all season

buster71 08-27-2006 03:58 AM

I have 31k miles on my stock Potenzas. I had them checked out when i did the 30K mile service and the dealer said they were still fine with good amount of tread left.

I've had no real issues with the stockers but I don't really drive too hard. I'm sure there are lots of better tires out there, but I've been satisfied with mine.

Tecrun19 08-27-2006 04:42 AM

In the rain I always felt so nervous with the Pontenza's that was the main reason i got different tires (General Exclaim UHP)

3min3m2 08-27-2006 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zebman
Where about in WV were you driving? I live in the city so the roads are pretty smooth (minus my girlfriend's neighborhood out in the boonies, haha), but I know that roads can get pretty bad in more rural areas.

By the way, where you going to college? WVU or Marshall perhaps?

I was on route 62 between eleanor and Nitro, and on I-64(i go to Tech btw)

yeah sorry for that typo-i was on my laptop, its 8600, not 86k lol...i would expect hydroing at 86k

i was tihnking about the nitto 555 or neo gens for a change, expecially after coming down an off ramp sideways at like 35 MPH...didnt like that at all.......any opinions??

chrischoi 08-28-2006 12:27 AM

im at like 12k and i am waiting for new tires... they have to get here asap

tCb00b 08-28-2006 12:39 AM

Nittos are pretty nice tires for the money. My friend has NT 555's on his 18's and they stick pretty well. Like any tire, with wet conditions you have to think about how you are driving but he doesnt have any problems. Good luck. You may want to check out tirerack and some other online tire sites and read the different reviews before making a decision. Just my .02

engifineer 08-28-2006 02:22 AM

Tirerack for sure, best prices I could find and awesome reviews. A lot of people shop there so there are usually enough reviews to get a good idea.

Got my Avons there for $103 each, which is a pretty good price for tires that ranked up there with tires MUCH more expensive

TrafficinLA 08-28-2006 03:34 PM

The OEM Potenzas are not good with water. I've driven in the rain with them on Interstates and they held up OK when I drive carefully. I went up to 75 mph before I had to ease off on the gas.

I'd suggest getting better All-Season tires. (like veryone else)

sptc01 08-29-2006 09:15 PM

yes yes yes....the stock tires are $hit!!...I have about 5k on mine currently...cant get any grip even when it sprinkles outside....Wonder if they actually did any type of testing before deciding to go with the potenza's

tc2nut4 08-29-2006 10:16 PM

yeah they are, i just fell upon a full set of stock rims and tires for $125 though, had 95% tread left so I bought them. I'll call them my winter tires for now lol. I like losing traction in the snow, parking lots are my friend :)

On a serious note, we took my car to a parking lot and I got my car to do a complete 360 with proper ebrak and wheel turning, My friends Mitsubishi Mirage with snow tires barely even broke lose... Really makes you think about the safety of our tires

Somnambulated 08-30-2006 05:12 PM

You all may say the stock tires are crap, but I'd rather be back on the stock Potenzas than on the Ventus HR II's I was forced to buy after a flat.

You want crap, THESE are crappy tires. The manufacturer puts tires on the car with the intention of giving it the best balance of performance and feel, so you'll buy the car. And to buy them again, they're fairly expensive tires!

The Potenza on my car at the time was punctured, FYI.

So, if you live in an area where you experience all seasons--Not So. Cal--get all-season tires.

Skeorx13 08-30-2006 07:54 PM

Stocks are crap. Mine started slipping at around 7-10k. I'm at 18k now and they barely keep me on the ground when wet.