Notices

Rear alignment and tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear alignment and tire issue

OK I was wondering if anyone was having the same problem my 2008 Scion TC is having with the rear wheels. A few months ago I needed to replace all 4 tires after only 10,000 miles. It was my fault as my alignment was off so oh well to those tires. Anyways, I had an alignment done and bought 4 new Continental DWS tires. 5000 miles later it was time for an oil change and the rear tires were completely bald and gone while the fronts were fine. Again the alignment was checked and it was way off and fixed. I thought I would take it into a scion dealer to have things looked over to make sure everything is ok. That appointment was about a week later and when they checked it over again the alignment was way off. They corrected it and gave me the printout to take to my local shop that has been doing the work on it. When I gave the shop the printout they thought they would check my alignment again and it was off. They fixed it, but then yesterday I was looking at the tires and my rears are almost bald again and it has only been about 5000 miles since they were replaced. I have an appointment to have the alignment checked this coming monday, but I already know it will be off for some reason. A little info on the car is that it has 18 inch rims, with the TRD lowering springs and i use 225 40 18 tires. Anyone having this problem or heard of anything like this before or any suggestions? is there anything that can be done to stop the car from coming out of alignment so quickly and as bad as it is? $200 a piece for the Continental tires and about $90 a pop for an alignment is starting to make this car not worth it anymore!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Josiah21TC
OK I was wondering if anyone was having the same problem my 2008 Scion TC is having with the rear wheels. A few months ago I needed to replace all 4 tires after only 10,000 miles. It was my fault as my alignment was off so oh well to those tires. Anyways, I had an alignment done and bought 4 new Continental DWS tires. 5000 miles later it was time for an oil change and the rear tires were completely bald and gone while the fronts were fine. Again the alignment was checked and it was way off and fixed. I thought I would take it into a scion dealer to have things looked over to make sure everything is ok. That appointment was about a week later and when they checked it over again the alignment was way off. They corrected it and gave me the printout to take to my local shop that has been doing the work on it. When I gave the shop the printout they thought they would check my alignment again and it was off. They fixed it, but then yesterday I was looking at the tires and my rears are almost bald again and it has only been about 5000 miles since they were replaced. I have an appointment to have the alignment checked this coming monday, but I already know it will be off for some reason. A little info on the car is that it has 18 inch rims, with the TRD lowering springs and i use 225 40 18 tires. Anyone having this problem or heard of anything like this before or any suggestions? is there anything that can be done to stop the car from coming out of alignment so quickly and as bad as it is? $200 a piece for the Continental tires and about $90 a pop for an alignment is starting to make this car not worth it anymore!!

I would very highly advise to stay away from that tire shop. Toyota gains nothing from screwing your alignment up. If they (Toyota) fixed it, then your tire shop told you it was still screwed up... That's a problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should've done a lifetime alignment after the first one, or from the start. Incorrect toe alignment is what will wear down a tire faster than just camber alone. Which shop are you taking it for the alignment?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its camber and toe that is off every time the alignment is checked. toyota wanted to take the car all day and tried telling me the frame has to be bent or something for this to keep happening. the car has been babied and never any accident at all or anything. i told them that unless you sold me the car new in 2008 with the frame bent then thats not the case. this was toyota scion in cicero ny. Burdick toyota scion is the name. they then said my camber bolt is bent and the car cannot be aligned properly without that being fixed. several other shops and my buddies shopped looked at it and all called bull**** on that one from scion. it is my buddies shop that keeps doing the alignment for me and even bought me 2 new tires after the first set was destroyed in 5000 miles. all i am getting from anyone is that they have no idea why or how this keeps happening so i am at a loss!!

Originally Posted by dropzone
Should've done a lifetime alignment after the first one, or from the start. Incorrect toe alignment is what will wear down a tire faster than just camber alone. Which shop are you taking it for the alignment?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my issue wasnt to your extent. ive only had my alignments done by my friend who is a toyota tech. when we went to swap out my lowering springs for coilovers before starting we noticed the rear right tire had some negative camber to it, didnt bother us we needed to do an alignment anyway when done. so after everything is done its alignment time, he goes to adjust it and the bolt you use wasnt moving together and the alignment dropped to -4.5 camber. the sub frame was bent and the bolt was stripped, looked like my car had been in an accident but it never has. we had to bend the subframe back to normal range and replace that camber bolt with a new one, that was the solution. so maybe something similar is going on with yours.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm thanks i guess i will have to have that checked out as well at my next appointment. hard to believe that something like that would happen, but i guess anything is possible right now!

Originally Posted by c500129
my issue wasnt to your extent. ive only had my alignments done by my friend who is a toyota tech. when we went to swap out my lowering springs for coilovers before starting we noticed the rear right tire had some negative camber to it, didnt bother us we needed to do an alignment anyway when done. so after everything is done its alignment time, he goes to adjust it and the bolt you use wasnt moving together and the alignment dropped to -4.5 camber. the sub frame was bent and the bolt was stripped, looked like my car had been in an accident but it never has. we had to bend the subframe back to normal range and replace that camber bolt with a new one, that was the solution. so maybe something similar is going on with yours.