TPM problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default TPM problem

i have an 06 tc my tpm light is on and has been on for like 5k miles. my air pressure is set at 35 on all 4 tires. and has been i recently bought new ties and my tier pressure was at 40psi and the light comes back on even when reset. i removed some of the air and all 4 are at 35 i reset the ligh almost daily now to try and see if it will stay off. it's driving me crazy. somone please know how to fix it. i know on 05 and 06 we dont have actual pressure sensors on the rims it goes off the wheel speed sensor anyone able to help?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

re-initialize the system.

don't just press the tpms button. hold until the light blinks 3 times.
it's mentioned in the owner's manual.

please read it fully next time prior to starting a thread.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i did that. multiple times now. sorry i didnt intitally mention it.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the light go off after you hold it for 3 seconds and then come back on later or did it stays on no matter what you do?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i hold it it goes off or blinks then i will drive around and it will come on after driving around for a few miles. and when i check the tire presure all 4 are at 35psi. im on the stock rims still. dunno if that matters.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the car should not have the TPMS light turn back on if it was re-initialized correctly. you need to HOLD the button until the light blinks 3 times prior to letting go.

what the initialization process entails is basically resetting the system and taking the current wheel/tire conditions and making that the standard (even if the tire pressures were all completely out of whack)

it then continues to calibrate it over the next hour of driving going >19mph (also noted in manual between 31-62 mph)
btw, it's better to just follow the manual and set the tire pressures at what it was meant to be. 32/29 front/rear
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i have done that exact thing. i will try it again i guess i was just worried a little. i dont want to have to replace anything crazy. i've had it been off for 2 days at most then it just comes back on
Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here's what you do: (1) pull the gauge cluster and open it up, (2) take a soldering iron and remove the led for tpms light, (3) put back together and re-install, (4) check tire pressure with a tire gauge at least once a week. Problem solved :D
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i'm half tempted to do just that.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I did.... the light annoyed me soooooooo much and it wouldn't go away no matter what I did.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

you guys have some issues...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

I haven't seen this problem on a Toyota before, but I've seen other vehicles where one of the sensors just stopped communicating with the receiver. Once the sensor was replaced, everything was fine again. I don't know if the Toyota system even works that way, but it might be something worth looking into. On the other hand, those sensors are ridiculously expensive...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

there aren't any TPMS sensors in his 2006. they didn't add them until 2007 which then the batteries are supposedly rated to last at least 5 years.

in the '05-'06.. it utilizes the ABS system and calculates based on tire rotation instead of actual pressure sensors.

as i said, the reinitailation of the TPMS in his car should reset the system completely saving its current conditions as the new default (EVEN IF all the tire pressures were completely messed up and incorrect, reinitializing the system will reset it to that).

there's NO REASON that the TPMS light should turn back on for an '06 vehicle if it's been reinitialized correctly.. UNLESS there really and truly is an air leak or there's something wrong with the system itself.

FYI, all 2008+ toyota/scion/lexus vehicles use the TMPS pressure sensors built into the valve stem.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

guess i have a major issue. light came back on and i've driven for more then an hour. this sucks. yes squall the light blinked 3 times just like it has before.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

check the ABS sensor wiring... though if there was a problem with one of the sensors, I think the ABS light would've turned on as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

no other lights tire pressure is still 35psi. i dunno what the french is going on. i wonder if i have a bent rim and its throwing off the tpms it did sit in one spot for 10 months with only my mom turning it on to run every now and again.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

well, a bent rim might be leaking air slowly.
which indeed would cause the light to turn on.

also a nail or screw that's in one of the tires as well.
make sure to inspect for that.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i have. it's holding air is what kills me. the tires have like 400 miles on them
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
there aren't any TPMS sensors in his 2006. they didn't add them until 2007 which then the batteries are supposedly rated to last at least 5 years.

in the '05-'06.. it utilizes the ABS system and calculates based on tire rotation instead of actual pressure sensors.

as i said, the reinitailation of the TPMS in his car should reset the system completely saving its current conditions as the new default (EVEN IF all the tire pressures were completely messed up and incorrect, reinitializing the system will reset it to that).

there's NO REASON that the TPMS light should turn back on for an '06 vehicle if it's been reinitialized correctly.. UNLESS there really and truly is an air leak or there's something wrong with the system itself.

FYI, all 2008+ toyota/scion/lexus vehicles use the TMPS pressure sensors built into the valve stem.
I know how a common ABS system works, and I don't understand how that could measure air pressure in the tire. Does Toyota use a different type of system than other manufacturers? What exactly is it calculating? If all it's measuring is wheel speed... could this be caused by a variation in overall tire diameter from one corner to another?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

for the '05-'06... the TPMS uses the ABS system.. it compares tire rotations to what you calibrate it to when you re-initialize the system.

it DOES not measure the tire pressure.. instead.. it detects changes in wheel speed due to changes in the wheel circumference... if there's a slow leak, then that tire will start to spin faster than the others and the TMPS will see that.

that's why it is important to check all the tire pressures are correct prior to reinitializing the system and having it perform the calibration correctly. all it does is save the current conditions to where the tires are at to one another... (even if all the tires were different pressures.. or have variations).

Quick Reply: TPM problem