Notices

TPMS ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default TPMS ISSUE

Hi scion family. I've searched everywhere and got no answers. My 05 tc speedo gauge recently stopped working along with mileage readout. I bought a used 08 instrument cluster with about the same miles as mine from a local salvage yard. Once installed, the tpms light flashes for about 2 minutes then stays on while driving. The reset button does not turn it off at all. It doesn't flash 3 times or anything like that. A friend of mine suggested that I install 07+ wheel valve sensors. I bought and installed them but nothing changed. Does anybody know how to fix this issue ?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:59 AM

If you switch TPMS sensors, you need to have the computer reprogrammed for the new ones. Most tire shops have the the programming tool. Expect to pay around $50....possibly less...

Is the wiring the same for the the 05 vs the 08? Sometimes Toyota changes certain wires in mid-model production....they did it with the xB2's I believe.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default tpms

Thanks Blackberry. Originally my 05 doesn't have sensors in the wheels. It uses the ABS system to determine pressure lost. I only added sensors to my wheels because I couldn't get the system to reset. I thought maybe matching (newer) wheel sensors to newer instrument cluster would've fixed my problem. Technically I don't think those sensors make a difference to my system because its an 05 ABS to TPMS set up. Anybody got any thoughts on this issue ?

Last edited by conman13; 01-03-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Did Toyota switch to a different TPMS system in mid production?
If all all else fails, pull the light bulb in the dash cluster. Lol.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default tpms

05-06 uses abs but the newer model years use valve stem sensors. If I cant figure it out then covering the bulb is my last resolve.