Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

DIY: LED DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine from a local auto parts store and they work fine. I also didn't remove the bumper when I installed the lights. I put the strips adhesive to adhesive and then just wedged the double-stack between the bumper and headlight.

LEDs are secure (just went through Tropical Storm Lee) and work like a champ.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
SL Member

Edit: i retract what I said.. LOL

how did u get enough room the wedge in between?! it seems like it could very well damage the strips...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by vaxc3
seriously... I'm sick of removing the bumper just to realize the LED strips r DOA (despite testing them upon arrival... somehow, the strips just don't function well after install)

anyone got some high quality strip recommendations? I'm particularly looking for the cool white color (white with a hint of blue)

Where did you order your strips from?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
SL Member

whitetc06: Oznium.com

They are really cool about warranty. Didn't even question me at all and sent replacements right away... too bad even the replacements are low quality..

just to clarify.. these are the waterproof side emitting LED strips...

I've ordered other regular LED strips from them. None have the problem. Its the side emitting LED strips that are pretty FUBAR...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edit: i retract what I said.. LOL

how did u get enough room the wedge in between?! it seems like it could very well damage the strips...

Very carefully. In all fairness, I installed one set of strips, no problem, pulled them out cuz I decided to run the wires different and damaged them coming out. But I haven't had any issues with shorting the LEDs going in. With the strips stacked like they are, the small gap between the lamp and bumper is perfect. They are very snug, but I've had them installed for a while now and no issues. Also, I did have to go single strip the last 3" because it's too tight.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
SL Member

I was afraid you were going to say oznium, for the most part their LEDs are good but the flex LEDs are below good quality. People are having a lot of problems with them. I'm trying to find a good flex led other than oznium and am thinking about autozone.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I think that's where I got mine. That or Advanced...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
I got mine from a local auto parts store and they work fine. I also didn't remove the bumper when I installed the lights. I put the strips adhesive to adhesive and then just wedged the double-stack between the bumper and headlight.

LEDs are secure (just went through Tropical Storm Lee) and work like a champ.
That's quite the job you did double-stacking them. I've always been afraid of the silicon breaking...

Originally Posted by whitetc06
I was afraid you were going to say oznium, for the most part their LEDs are good but the flex LEDs are below good quality. People are having a lot of problems with them. I'm trying to find a good flex led other than oznium and am thinking about autozone.
Yea, I realize that after I ordered them. They are the only place that I found that sells the "Cool White" LED strips... all other places claim to be "Cool White", but all end up being just "Natural White"... I'm addicted to that blue tint... hahah
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a link on the previous page on where I got mine. They have been working perfectly and have the blue tint.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeloZero
There is a link on the previous page on where I got mine. They have been working perfectly and have the blue tint.
Thanks for the reference. I've actually already tried the LED strips from SuperbrightLEDs.com... their "cool white" is actually just "Natural White". I bought them, installed it, and dang... different color...

Worse case, I probably just strip my current strips and go with the white that can be easily obtained... lifes a biatch aint it? LOL
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitetc06
To be honest, they are all going to be similar in design; my brother runs his LED strips (from Autozone) on top of his Mazda3 headlights, a few have burned out already...and they aren't as bright as ebay ones.

I took a quick look at oznium's ... they're exactly the same as ebay ones! LOL and ebay ones are far cheaper in price also. Again "in-house" brand names make no difference, designs are 99% the same.

Example: http://bit.ly/pBgNhM

Also if you want SMD Leds (side mounted emitting) ... sizes matter, I run 5050 SMD size. Ebay $11, 1 month now, let's hope they run through winter.

These are mine (100% exact design and function):

http://bit.ly/oVLdwa

To the person who keeps taking off his/her bumper, did it ever occur to you that you have a battery under the hood and you can test both leads right off the battery before mounting?? lol
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by fongyz
To be honest, they are all going to be similar in design; my brother runs his LED strips (from Autozone) on top of his Mazda3 headlights, a few have burned out already...and they aren't as bright as ebay ones.

I took a quick look at oznium's ... they're exactly the same as ebay ones! LOL and ebay ones are far cheaper in price also. Again "in-house" brand names make no difference, designs are 99% the same.

Example: http://bit.ly/pBgNhM

Also if you want SMD Leds (side mounted emitting) ... sizes matter, I run 5050 SMD size. Ebay $11, 1 month now, let's hope they run through winter.

To the person who keeps taking off his/her bumper, did it ever occur to you that you have a battery under the hood and you can test both leads right off the battery before mounting?? lol

No. You misunderstood... I tested the strips prior to install. even whip it around like jump rope.. it was all good. Until I rip off the adhesive cover... somehow that motion loosens the soldiering points and screws up the strip... its just poorly soldiered together... since if u press it, the LEDs light up again....

And theres no way i'm putting those type of LED strips you linked up on ebay.. they are fugly! LOL!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. You misunderstood... I tested the strips prior to install. even whip it around like jump rope.. it was all good. Until I rip off the adhesive cover... somehow that motion loosens the soldiering points and screws up the strip... its just poorly soldiered together... since if u press it, the LEDs light up again....

And theres no way i'm putting those type of LED strips you linked up on ebay.. they are fugly! LOL!
Ahh okay i didn't catch that you tested them prior to installing =P

The 1st link, it's the same pic as I saw on oznium.

The 2nd link, you can either pay for that, or use...

http://bit.ly/pD46GF from autozone and pay $18.99+. Those LEDs look a lot smaller than the 5050 SMD ones ebay sells. Like I said, google up SMD sizes and you will find what you want. Believe me or not.

This is mine at dusk with -1.7EV camera phone.

Name:  mcFWV.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  5.7 KB
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM
SL Member

Ahh okay i didn't catch that you tested them prior to installing =P

The 1st link, it's the same pic as I saw on oznium.

The 2nd link, you can either pay for that, or use...

http://bit.ly/pD46GF from autozone and pay $18.99+. Those LEDs look a lot smaller than the 5050 SMD ones ebay sells. Like I said, google up SMD sizes and you will find what you want. Believe me or not.

This is mine at dusk with -1.7EV camera phone.

Thanks for your help...

This is actually the type I'm looking for... http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip

Edit: This type of strip, the LED actually faces side ways... not your typical strips where it faces upward.

So far, all the ones I've found are only "Neutral White" despite many sites claim being "cool white".

For a better color reference: (left to right, Cool, Neutral, Warm)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same design, differen't wiring connection though. looks cleaner and more secured than the ebay ones I have lol but the function is the same.

I would ask Oznium the size of their SMD leds, mine are at 5050 - one of the biggest for SMD.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM
SL Member

Just an update... Oznium has approved yet ANOTHER warranty replacement for my LED strips... Such a vicious cycle...

These would be strip #9 and #10... anyone wanna bet the fail rate of these?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an update... Oznium has approved yet ANOTHER warranty replacement for my LED strips... Such a vicious cycle...

These would be strip #9 and #10... anyone wanna bet the fail rate of these?
get the ebay ones like i said, save yourself some headache; but like i mentioned, beware of the thin 22 gauge (i think) wires. lol still works though.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
SL Member

get the ebay ones like i said, save yourself some headache; but like i mentioned, beware of the thin 22 gauge (i think) wires. lol still works though.
Its not that I haven't tried eBay.. To match the color is pretty hard... It seems like every LED supplier have a different color temp setting or something... plus they are sending it to me for free... I'm not paying a dime..
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you pulling the adhesive backing off? Or are you just talking about the cover to keep the adhesive sticky?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Why are you pulling the adhesive backing off? Or are you just talking about the cover to keep the adhesive sticky?

Sorry, I mean by just the cover...

Quick Reply: DIY: LED DRL's