Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/)
-   -   DIY: Replace Flasher Relay to Avoid Hyper Blinking with LED Turn Signals (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/diy-replace-flasher-relay-avoid-hyper-blinking-led-turn-signals-200146/)

biglilsteve 10-26-2013 05:05 PM

The wig-wag has got to be illegal...but the quick double-blink looks fantastic! how in the world do you do that? It would look sick with LED blinkers.

scottmcphee 10-26-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve (Post 4130507)
The wig-wag has got to be illegal...but the quick double-blink looks fantastic! how in the world do you do that? It would look sick with LED blinkers.

Thanks!

Google 'tapturn flasher' although the current unit does not have strobes, it is experimental at this stage.

I make 'em. Yes it would look real crisp with LED, the video is on incandescents (stock bulbs). Will work in your tC with whatever you have for signals in the corners.

biglilsteve 10-26-2013 07:31 PM

The AutoWindow site...is that yours? Also, it didn't show the double-blink. Is that something extra?

scottmcphee 10-26-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve (Post 4130512)
The AutoWindow site...is that yours? Also, it didn't show the double-blink. Is that something extra?

Yup, me.

Strobe is a new thing not up for sale yet.

RealShkillz 01-12-2014 12:52 PM

To bring up an old thread,

My GF has recently bought a 2014 scion TC, does anyone know where the location of the turn signal relay is? because it has apparently moved. I checked under the dash in the location the 2011 has it and I see nothing there. I already got her LED turn signals and a LED relay, just cant find where the damn thing is.

Any help would be great!

thanks,

Red2014tC 02-02-2014 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scion has changed the location and type of flasher in the 2014 tC. It is now located higher than it was above the brake peddle in a much larger blue box with a different connector.

Adding to my frustrations is that the signals don't work at all with LED's installed, and the relay I bought will not work....

EDIT: attached picture... On left is the 2011-2013? flasher relay, center is the 2014 (in Canada at least) flasher, and on the right is the board from inside the flasher box. On the very bottom right of the board are 2 "resistors" that could in theory be changed to change the blink rate. My guess is one is for hazards, and the other is for signals.

I have not tried this yet. I'm going to see how much these flashers are and if they are cheap I'll try and mod one.

Can any US 2014 owners verify if their flasher is the same as this? In Canada our ambers are constantly lit for DTRL's, so it may be different.

russiankid 02-06-2014 03:18 AM

To make life easier you may as well just install load resisters rather than trial and error with the resistors on the board.

Red2014tC 02-06-2014 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by russiankid (Post 4139849)
To make life easier you may as well just install load resisters rather than trial and error with the resistors on the board.

It's not about what is easier for me. I just like keeping things clean and not splicing wires when possible. Cutting/splicing into my harness and mounting a hot and ugly resistor under the hood just looks tacky and unprofessional in my opinion.

russiankid 02-06-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red2014tC (Post 4139868)
It's not about what is easier for me. I just like keeping things clean and not splicing wires when possible. Cutting/splicing into my harness and mounting a hot and ugly resistor under the hood just looks tacky and unprofessional in my opinion.

The resistor will only be in use when the turn signal is on, so why would it be hot? And second, it doesn't have to look ugly, it all depends how you do the work. However, I do understand what you're saying, but in my opinion experimenting with the resistors on the board may result in other issues.

Red2014tC 02-06-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by russiankid (Post 4139876)
The resistor will only be in use when the turn signal is on, so why would it be hot? And second, it doesn't have to look ugly, it all depends how you do the work. However, I do understand what you're saying, but in my opinion experimenting with the resistors on the board may result in other issues.

In the US it is less of an issue. In Canada the Amber turn signals are always lit, Toyota/scion used them as daytime running lights that are required by law in Canada.

russiankid 02-06-2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Red2014tC (Post 4139889)
In the US it is less of an issue. In Canada the Amber turn signals are always lit, Toyota/scion used them as daytime running lights that are required by law in Canada.

Are the turn signals dual filament bulbs? If so, you should have 3 wires going to the socket for the bulbs, one is ground (common), one is parking light +, and one is turn signal +.

cbeaty 03-15-2014 08:58 AM

just fixed my hyperblink with this thanks yall

gyrotech 04-09-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Red2014tC (Post 4139889)

I am in the same situation as you, but on the other side of Canada.

Parking lights are the turn signals.

Flasher box is big blue and I cannot find a replacement online.

Parking lights are always on as DRL

My thought is if your changing both front/rear bulbs, why not add one or two load resistors only to the rear? Instead of putting a load resister in all four corners, put two at each rear light.

I will try this and report back.

gyrotech 04-09-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by russiankid (Post 4139929)
Are the turn signals dual filament bulbs? If so, you should have 3 wires going to the socket for the bulbs, one is ground (common), one is parking light +, and one is turn signal +.

No they are not.

russiankid 04-10-2014 02:10 AM

So there is a single filament bulb that acts as a parking light and a turn signal?Interesting

Red2014tC 04-10-2014 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by russiankid (Post 4147326)
So there is a single filament bulb that acts as a parking light and a turn signal?Interesting

Hence the complicated relay. The LED's don't fit in the rear for me and they look like ____, so I'm not going to bother anymore.

gyrotech 04-15-2014 03:08 AM

Fix for 2014 TC Canadian owners without relay.

Add two 6 ohm 50 watt resistors to each side in the rear. So that's four resistors in total. The reason to put them both in the rear :lol: is to avoid running your resistors with the DRL system.

I just did mine tonight with this method and it works good.

Red2014tC 04-15-2014 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by gyrotech (Post 4147843)
Fix for 2014 TC Canadian owners without relay.

Add two 6 ohm 50 watt resistors to each side in the rear. So that's four resistors in total. The reason to put them both in the rear :lol: is to avoid running your resistors with the DRL system.

I just did mine tonight with this method and it works good.

Hmm, never thought about doing it that way... Might work. You wired them I. Series I assume?

I've given up one led signals for now. Was thinking about bypassing the relay and installing the old version and in the process killing the dtrl's. But to busy to bother atm

gyrotech 04-15-2014 03:24 AM

Nope, Parallel. At first I thought in series but your adding load to the circuit. Hence the term load resistor. Since your adding load in parallel it really doesn't matter front or rear.

I picked up 4 load resistors, 6ohm 50watts at my local electronics store for under 20bucks. I will be making some small aluminum brackets and mounting them rearward of the spare tire. Each side. You'll see there's plenty of room down there.

You can also get them here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...r-kit/190/831/

Amoung other online sources...

Originally Posted by Red2014tC (Post 4147846)
I've given up one led signals for now.

Give it a break but don't give up. The ON/OFF flash with no pause for halogen bulb warmup is quite nice. Really makes the car stand out and look modern.

suburbansunsets 07-05-2014 03:48 AM

DIY: Replace Flasher Relay to Avoid Hyper Blinking with LED Turn Signals

I just installed my relay today and I seem to like my turning signals. They are CREE style turning signals. The only issue was due to my actual body size and elevated location of the relay on the 2014 tC. I ripped the relay off the frame breaking the mount but used some 3M tape to remount the new relay. Seems to be working well. Also if anyone would like a relay, I have an extra relay (US). I can sell you one for exactly $16 and I will ship it to you.