Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/)
-   -   Gap between Fender and Bumper.. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/gap-between-fender-bumper-213799/)

xtimxmayyx 04-19-2012 06:53 AM

Gap between Fender and Bumper..

Hey guys, So my car was scraped by another car like a month ago, and i just got my car back from the dealer last week. i notice that with the new OEM bumper, there's a pretty big gap/sag between the fender and the bumper on my drivers side. I brought it back to the dealer today and I showed them and they took a look and said " the bumper is held onto by brackets, and not screws so there isn't much we can do to close up the gap." It is so noticeable compared to my passenger side and I just can't stop looking at it now because I do see the bracket inside. I'll take a pic and post it up tomorrow, but since the clips cant close up the gap, what can i do to close it up?
All the brackets between the fender and the bumpers are clipped on, one of them sounds like it doesn't really make that "clip" noise when i reinstall the bumper, but it does seem to look like its clipped though.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. THANKS!

dropzone 04-19-2012 07:32 AM

I'm not all familiar with the tC2 bumper setup but zip ties are your friend.

PaperLegacy 04-19-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 4003981)
I'm not all familiar with the tC2 bumper setup but zip ties are your friend.

That is sooooo true!

ProjectTC2 04-19-2012 02:49 PM

I assume you're talking about the front drivers side fender and the front bumper. That's actually a very common problem for this car. Not to mention it's a common problem for a lot of cars and trucks. As you said, the bumper is held on by renention clips and not by a bracket. And as also said above ^^ If you go in there and find a place to zip tie the sagging area, that will more than likely fix it. If there's not an area, you can drill a small hole behind where the bumper meets the fender and put a zip tie through there. They're just plastic so drilling is no problem

xtimxmayyx 04-19-2012 04:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
lol ok i dont know if were on the same page but i probably just dont understand. This is what I'm talking about:
Attachment 41192
Attachment 41193
Attachment 41194

and this is the passenger side where theres no problem and the gap is closed..
Attachment 41195

you can tell theres a big difference between driver and passenger side and when you guys say use zip ties, where am i suppose to zip tie the two pieces together to close the gap? i tried looking through under the hood but i cant even see the bumper from inside the bay.
:confused::confused::confused: any help? Thanks! and thanks the previous replies!

fun173 04-19-2012 04:55 PM

I would bring it back to them. If they did the work, and it's still a fairly new car bring it back and tell them you are unsatisfied with the work they did and want it properly fixed.

xtimxmayyx 04-19-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 4004098)
I would bring it back to them. If they did the work, and it's still a fairly new car bring it back and tell them you are unsatisfied with the work they did and want it properly fixed.

i did bring it back to them but they said there isnt much they could do to it since its not screws thats holding it up. thats what they said when i brought it back to the dealer where i had it fixed.

keeev 04-19-2012 06:42 PM

Tell them not to half @ss it and do it properly. I got my driver fender and front bumper replaced too but that wasn't a problem for me.

xtimxmayyx 04-19-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by keeev (Post 4004140)
Tell them not to half @ss it and do it properly. I got my driver fender and front bumper replaced too but that wasn't a problem for me.

do you happen to know what is the cause of this? would it be the bumper or the fender problem thats creating this "sag"?

xtimxmayyx 04-19-2012 07:59 PM

i just called the person who is handling my car at the collision department and he said that hes going to put in another bracket (whatever that means) to make it hold up the bumper more... he said worse case would be to bond it(im guessing to glue parts together)? Whats a better situation to this or do you guys reccommend this idea?

speedy000 04-19-2012 10:05 PM

wear/tear from removing the bumper...those clips r all plastic and dont do so well when you take off and reinstall the bumper a few times it gets worse the tc1 had the same problem. what ever u do dont glue anything! tip ties r ok but glue is a mess and if u ever have to take the bumper off your going to risk messing up the paint or breaking something.

Blackedout011TC 04-19-2012 10:07 PM

It's probably the bumper mount. It's hard to say without seeing the before hand pics of the damage in person.

john2011TC 04-20-2012 12:05 AM

arghh california dealerships -_____-. hahahha

Scion202 04-20-2012 01:41 AM

Yay! Same as mine but its on both sides

Originally Posted by xtimxmayyx (Post 4004091)
lol ok i dont know if were on the same page but i probably just dont understand. This is what i'm talking about:
https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/img_1214.jpg
https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/img_1213.jpg
https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/img_1215.jpg

and this is the passenger side where theres no problem and the gap is closed..
https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/img_1216.jpg

you can tell theres a big difference between driver and passenger side and when you guys say use zip ties, where am i suppose to zip tie the two pieces together to close the gap? I tried looking through under the hood but i cant even see the bumper from inside the bay.
:confused::confused::confused: Any help? Thanks! And thanks the previous replies!

xtimxmayyx 04-20-2012 07:58 AM

I'll upload some pics of the damage bumper tomorrow. Dunno how to upload on the phone. Thanks guys!

devanb3 04-21-2012 04:36 AM

take the bumper off and make sure the retention clip holders and clips themselfs arent damaged thats all i can think of and if they are damaged tell the dealership they need to fix everything and not just what they think needs it

xtimxmayyx 04-21-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 4004809)
take the bumper off and make sure the retention clip holders and clips themselfs arent damaged thats all i can think of and if they are damaged tell the dealership they need to fix everything and not just what they think needs it

well i called the dealership and i told them the problem isnt going away and the person said hes going to order in another "bracket" to try to make it hold it up anymore. (i dont know if he means the clips, rather than brackets.) But it probably will be in on monday and ill ask them to check on the retention clips on the way there as well.

xtimxmayyx 04-21-2012 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
as for the pic of the actual bumper that got hit, this is what it looks like. there wasnt really any dents. it was just scraped pretty hard.
Attachment 41131

therefore i dont know if it damaged inside or not. i dont even know the problem myself.. i did look at the old bumper tho and it didnt look like the bumper was damaged at all, just scratches.
Also if anyone somehow needs an extra bumper, im selling it for local pickup, listed in classified ad.

speterson82 04-21-2012 01:29 PM

debadge that sucker and get it resprayed. Then when the tech shows you how he made clips or whatever to fix the sag, you'll have a gangster grill w/no fender sag....win.