Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

How to: Install a HD Lip..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How to: Install a HD Lip..

Here is what I did. Took about 30 minutes if you don’t count the having to go to AZ for more tape!
First, the product: The one I got is the softer foam material. They make a harder rubber one, but I did some research on other car type forums, and people said and had pics of the harder rubber. When you try and bend it around the curves of the car, it makes the lower part jet forward in the curve,
and looks dumb. The softer foam easily bends and retains its shape. I bought the 16ft as you can see, but ended up using about 87 inches or 7.25 ft. You will also need to make sure you have enough of the 3M double sided extra strength trim tape. I had to stop half way through and go buy more : /

Then I used these speed nuts because I did not want to drill into my bumper for something that I wasn’t going to have on the car forever:

Here is a pick of the speed nut in action. You just slide it on, then use a FLAT tip screw (aka metal screw, not a wood screw that typically has a pointed/sharp tip) and the screw pinches the rubber to the underside of the bumper, as well as pulling the top of the speed nut down, holding the foam on. From what I have read
on a Dodge SRT forum that has people doing this back in 2006, most people don’t use this, or even screws. They just use the 3M double sided trim tape, which I also used, but the speed nuts are more of a backup in case the tape doesn’t hold. I would hate to be dragging this strip of foam under my car at 80 MPH

Just start at whatever end you are more comfortable with, and press your tape on working about 2-3 inches at a time. Mine is not perfect, but only if you are trying to find imperfections. I’m happy with it until they finish making the RS2 lips. Total cost: $36 and 30 minutes of free time.

I got TONS of complements at work today on the lip. I can only wonder how many I would have gotten if my car was white! (wife boss talked me into grey) Even the unstable Subi guys liked it,
and one said he was going to do it tonight. If you are sitting on the fence about it, just do it. For $40 and 30-45 minutes of time, you don't have much to lose!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-04-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 AM
SL Member

Good writeup! Any chance of a few shots of the speed nuts in action, holding the lip on?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The third pic from the top is the speednut with a metal screw holding the lip on. Taken from under the bumper. The speednuts I bought are not long enough to use in the center most part of the car, but I saw some at AZ, so I have to go grab them tomorrow. At the moment there is only 2 speednuts, nearly right under the fog lights. I think 2 more will do the trick, but the bumper under the center part of the car is longer than at the corners.'

Also, JP, I saw a few yellow cars that had this on other forums, and it looks amazing! Very good contrast.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 AM
O_O
SL Member

That looks great Druidiron!! Thanks for that write up! It probably wouldn't look right on stock height though would it? lol
Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Druidiron
Also, JP, I saw a few yellow cars that had this on other forums, and it looks amazing! Very good contrast.
I know! But the RS comes with a lip on the front anyways, so idk how the 2 layer lip would look! Otherwise I'd be all over it! But maybe. We'll just have to see how it goes once I take delivery. I'm just hoping to talk my fiancé in to the HD lip on her metallic grey '11 so I can do this to one.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O_O, mine is stock hieght.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahahahaha! its okay bro
Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Druidiron, i noticed u used the "Nail-On" any specific reason why u went with that one and the non nail-on version?

i never actually heard anything about one being better than the other, but common sense always made me think "if i am sticking it on with 3M, then i dont want to use the "nail-on" since i wont really be nailing it in"
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good question kidjustni. I used that one for 2 reasons: 1) the screw was more money, it already had tape on it, and it was a bit firm compaired to what i bought 2) it was the softer foam type. I knew from what I read on the dodge forums, I definitly dident want the rubber. I am pretty certain that the only diffrence between the nail on and screw on, is the firmness, the hardware they come with in the bag, and the screw on already has tape on it. I had already bought 2 rolls of the 3M tape so I couldent justify spending more money on the one with tape. Plus, I dident know if the pretaped would be as strong as the 3M that is made for projects like this.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey! Great job! Quick ? Did you have any reference points on the bottom of the bumper to help line up the lip?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I used the "fold" or crease that is at the bottom of bumper. I basically lined up the front of the lip, right where it bends (lip) and the spot where the bumber bends. I have a gravel driveway so I wasent under the car while I did it, so alot of it was done "by feel" rather than sight. I would recommend to tape off your line where you want it to match up at. If I ever did this again, I would definitly do that. I dident think about doing that untill I was nearly done, but it would have turned out alot straighter that way. Like I said in the DIY, mine is not perfect, but it works for now. As soon as the RS1 lip is out this thing is gone, so I dident worry about perfection, but it sure looks good!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I would like to add to this:

As my last post said, if you are planing on keeping this on your car for a while, please please please tape it off (the bumber so you know where to place the edge of the foam). And be VERY carefull to put the tape on the foam itself, very straight. My lip looks good, but a few days later, it has completley settled, and now there are very odvious spots where I did not put the tape on the foam straight.

Now, this is only noticable when you are up very close and actualy looking for inperfections. Someone at a car show would spot this in 10 seconds. Just driving by on the road, there is no way a pedestrian, or a passing car would notice, but for me, im half tempted it rip it off and try again.....The RS2 lip coming soon is the only reason I wont redo it.

So, if you are anything like me, and plaining to rock this lip for a while, put some more time into this, and it will look great for a good long time.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looked great after the first bath in a month (stupid rain every other day) so I took anouther pic of the lip.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great! Also looks so clean with out a license plate or holes. Freakin' NJ.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2dnel
Looks great! Also looks so clean with out a license plate or holes. Freakin' NJ.
My car was shipped from Texas, I have holes too
The state I am in now doesent require a front plate though.

So I just wanted to add that it has been well over a month since I put the lip on, and I have washed the car about 4 times. When I do, I am NOT carefull at all with the lip, because I wanted to be able to tell you guys what to expect. I spray the lip with the high pressure spray, just like the rest of the car, and scrub the bug guts off it with the brush as well. The 3M tape is holding super strong, I probably did not need to use the speed nuts. They dont serve much purpose except that should the tape start to peel, I wont be dragging the lip under my car on the highway, it will just sag a bit unstead of hitting the ground.

The style this adds Vs. the cost = a really great mod. I may do it again, even after I get my RS2 lip.....
Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was Rockin the HD Lip on mine for 2.5 yrs!...Then it was hard to peel-off the bumper when it was time.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member

Does the tape stick to the rubber okay?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its been a little over 3 months on mine, and the tape is still holding strong.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

did you prep the rubber in any way?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious as to the effectiveness of this lip mod. If you are using foam then it surly can easily flex so if you are to drive on the highway at highspeeds then it kind of defeats the purpose of it acting as a windbreaker.

Im kind of thinking this is a mod purely for looks?

Quick Reply: How to: Install a HD Lip..