Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Installing new low profile two-tone lip spoiler without template

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Installing new low profile two-tone lip spoiler without template

Hi guys,

This is my first post I think. I ordered one of the new style spoilers from TRDSparks, however I did not order the installation template.

For marking the centerpoints for the holes, what I did was to remove the black plastic portion of the spoiler. It is connected with 3 phillips head screws and some plyable double sided tape. I did not use any special tools to separate the two pieces, just pulled the ends up and slid my fingers along the edge to separate the tape.

Once I had the black plastic separated, I put it in place against the hatch, made sure it was centered, added a little forward pressure and marked with a sharpie.

Once the holes are marked, just follow the rest of the instructions of the .pdf that is for the older model spoiler, everything is the same except for the look.

When reattaching the black plastic piece, I put down a bead of silicone all the way aroud near the edge where the plastic piece settles, this is to hopefully prevent the known flaw with the new spoilers that allows water to be trapped in the hollow portion of the plastic bottom.

If you are installing a spoiler yourself and you are not afraid to drill holes in your hatch, then separating these two pieces should be a piece of cake, and there is no need to order the 70$ mylar template.

Side note: this new spoiler is very light, so i dont think its even necessary to replace the spoiler struts.

Sorry for not having pics, I spaced out and just did the whole thing without thinking twice.

Last edited by fastfitzy; 05-23-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did mine without a template, i also dont have an "official oem" spoiler, i got this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-2011...8981e0&vxp=mtr

exact same as OEM, however... holes are different mine has 6 holes that need to be drilled, and then screw from the inside up, to the spoiler

you may actually want to make a friend at a toyota dealership and get the template because you have to drill 2 different size holes for the factory OEM one, 2x 23/64" and 4x 19/32", your outside holes on the oem one IIRC are for clips, and maybe the 2 inner ones?? (dont quote me) and screws through the 2x 23/64" ones.

the way mine is, is mine came with 6 cardstock strips that were about 1/2" wide and 6" long each with a 1/8" hole cut out in each strip, with 2 sided tape around the holes, the way mine worked was line the holes of each strip to each hole on my spoiler, unpeel the other side, line up the spoiler and center it, then place onto the trunk, when you lift the spoiler up the tape is no longer on the spoiler but now on the trunk

and lookey, just drill your holes in that cutout in the cardstock strip, place 3m tape around spoiler in desired ares, stick and the screw 3/4" screws from the bottom up and it'll line up

thats how my "aftermarket" spoiler is

looks almost like this somewhat, different car obv but same way:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps141fbada.jpg

i also did tape mine after it went to the trunk of course so it didnt move

oh and after i drilled my holes, i used RTV (real nice silicone sealant toyota dealers use) in and around the holes i drilled so 1, will NOT rust, 2 acts as a moisture barrier and will not allow even water to fall down into the hatch, so it fully seals each hole, also helps keep the screws tight and not come loose, ever
Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 AM

Thanks, but this was just to explain that the template is not needed for the new OEM two-tone low profile spoiler. I simply separated the two parts and used the contoured plastic piece to mark the drill locations. Went off without a hitch, following the pdf install instructions provided for the old OEM high profile spoiler.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh sorry, considered it as a "omg no directions helppp" type thread lmao