Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Problems with paint scratching super easy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by durp
My front bumper has chips all over it... I don't remember my GTI having this many paint chips though.
Must not have owned a MKV, my Candy White bumper was absolutely covered in rock chips. I had it resprayed 3 times throughout my 4 years with it, and no paint job was any better or worse than the other. I think newer cars, at least compacts no matter the manufacturer, have ____ty paint.

So far my tC is holding up well, only 4 rock chips on the hood and 5 on the bumper after 5k. That's a lot better than my Chevy, Mazdas, and VW.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im considering the 3m clear bra all over my car. I was quoted $550 by an authorized dealer. It diffidently helps as a very durable layer of protection over the clearcoat which lasts 5-7 years without the need to replace it or it turning yellow. You dont even need to wax it ever again.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, out paint sucks!!! in 9 months I have 8 paint chips and 3 decent scratches, it blows hard, gonna try the paint chip doctor and see if it works well enough.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah...never seen paint so weak that a road cone would destroy it before now. Toyota weight-savings plan perhaps?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by zaksturbo
Is anyone else having problems with there paint scratching very easily? I have a black 11 tc so they show up a little more than other colors but it still seams to scratch to easily. I paint cars, i dont do it for a living but i do it on the side, and ive never had a problem like this..Anyone else?
I have a NB 2011 tc, and I have been into the dealership this past summer due to chips on the hood from bugs. they basically blew smoke up my ___ about needing a bug deflector and that alot of the scratches would buff out. recently I washed my tc with a car wash brush and was shocked to find scratched over the whole vehicle, and a large 6 inch chip (appeared like a key scratch) above the rear driver side window. This was caused from making light contact with the plastic part of the brush due to the angle i was holding brush.
I believe this is a factory default. I have an appointment with the dealership in a few days regarding this, i will update soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 AM

Thumbs down

this paint is awful. i was so excited for my new tC, but now every time i wash it i notice more chips and scratches on the front. after 10k miles the front bumper cover looks like my 180k celica did. it would seem the paint on most of my hot wheels cars is better than my scion. this and the single reverse light is my only complaint about this car.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I've been told all toyota paint is ____ty... its like an all-in-one paint or something. Paint and clear in one spray. Im waiting for it to get too bad and im getting an actual shop repaint with a few coats rather than one... but that'll be down the road when my cars no longer the DD like it is now...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by zaksturbo
Is anyone else having problems with there paint scratching very easily? I have a black 11 tc so they show up a little more than other colors but it still seams to scratch to easily. I paint cars, i dont do it for a living but i do it on the side, and ive never had a problem like this..Anyone else?
Yes! I have a crimson Scion xB that I got in 2014. And I have never experienced a car scratching this easy. And showing scratches so easy. I've had it buffed out several times. It's insane!