Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Who has Tinted Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
I got the 3M stuff too. "Carbon XP" was the most expensive best they had which I got, 35% all around 55% on windshield.
how much was that?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
how much was that?
$420 but these things vary by locale greatly. I don't even know what version of 3m stuff that is, they don't have a "carbon XP" on their website.
sitting inside it's night and day (ahem) from what it used to be. Its not that there's much less visible light but there's like no UV and Infrared to heat your car. It's great.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey guys just thought I'd update you on my tint.

I ended up getting 23% tint all the way around. I really like the amount. Not too dark when backing up, and the driver is still slightly visible to cops which is the law in Ontario.

The professional who installed it said she might have trouble with the back window lines as someone else pointed out. But she was happy with the way it turned out.

I ended up with Llumar dyed-based tint. I was concerned more about signal lost with metallic-based tint than I was about how hot the inside of my vehicle gets (I rarely use A/C).

Overall I'm quite satisfied. Pictures after work.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

finally got my tc2 tinted! thanks to my gf!! (late v-day gift haha) yay!

20% all the way around

ill wait for it to dry so that there will be no bubbles and then ill take pictures and post it
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got 5% on the back 3 and 20 up front. looks WAY better now. it was $160 and that was the shops "illegal" tint price (normally 150) so im happy....
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

so I just passed the 3days let it set before rolling down the windows period...

and I noticed that there is a small strip at the top of the window that is untinited...is that normal?

I thought the tint would go all the way to the end of the glass...am I wrong?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Should be a very small strip at the top, but it's normal. Only factory installed tint, where the glass is actually colored, will go all the way to the end.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
^ Should be a very small strip at the top, but it's normal. Only factory installed tint, where the glass is actually colored, will go all the way to the end.
hm...i googled a few places and they said they do it all the way to the top..

but should i take it back if the stripe is not the same on each window? one side has a strip slightly bigger than the other

..or am i being too ****?

i just dont want to sound like a stupid customer that doesnt know what hes talking about if i were to call them
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ The only "stupid" customer is the one who pays for something he isn't happy with. If it's computer cut, tint should really be identical, but you're going to pay more for the install. If it's hand cut, the tint won't be exactly the same at the very top, but shouldn't be very noticeable, and completely hidden when the window is rolled up.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

finally had time to take some pictures..but i'm taking it back tomorrow..some bubbles/scratches that didnt go away. n i'll see if they can tint the glass all the way up this time

20% all the way around by the way...none on the front, but it still looks dark huh?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Got mine done yesterday. 20% rears and 30% up front. Its a pretty subtle change, I think it blends nicely, gotta watch out for the CA po-po.
Before

After
Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

17% all the way around
Name:  302.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  124.1 KB
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
$420 but these things vary by locale greatly. I don't even know what version of 3m stuff that is, they don't have a "carbon XP" on their website.
sitting inside it's night and day (ahem) from what it used to be. Its not that there's much less visible light but there's like no UV and Infrared to heat your car. It's great.
that sounds about right. 400 was how much it was hovering around my area. but when i say my area i had to drive 10's of miles to the nearest dealer.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
finally had time to take some pictures..but i'm taking it back tomorrow..some bubbles/scratches that didnt go away. n i'll see if they can tint the glass all the way up this time

20% all the way around by the way...none on the front, but it still looks dark huh?
20% is dark, but the only reason it looks darker than it really is, is because it has a black interior and no one is sitting inside to show another color.

also where did you go? i know you bought your tc at the same dealership i did, just wondering if the tint place you go to is near me as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I had my back glass on my 07 tC tinted to 20% and always used the defrost in the winter. There was never and issue with bubbling or any other issue. I will be getting 20% all around with a 8in visor strip next month for my B-Day... thanks wifey
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

XerotC, I went to WTS Whitter Tint Shop...I got the high end tint..it cost me (my gf actually) $180 and it comes with lifetime warranty, blocks more heat...one step down with lifetime warranty is $170...and the cheapest one (normal) is $120 with a 5 year warranty I believe. go when it opens or on a weekday (M-Th)...i went Friday at 11 and it took 3 hours (they estimated 1.5 hours when I got there)
--------
so anyways, I went there today to see if they can re-do it, they said the scratches were normal and explained why..so it was cool. But he did catch a weird on the driver side window so he said he will redo that window and might as well cut a new one for the other side too...but I have to comeback on a weekday because they only do warranty work on weekdays (M-TH).

I did ask him if he would tint it all the way up (so no gap at the end)...at first he said no...but he came around and said he could and just tell him again when I come in...but here is the kicker...he said if he does it though, he will write "no warranty"

here's the thing...I'm assuming "no warranty" means that he wont warranty the tint going all the way up and not completely void my lifetime warranty....but i'm not sure. I will ask him to clarify when I got in again next week.

My question to my fellow scion lifers, if tinting all the way up does not void my lifetime warrant and I decided to have him retint it that way.....is there anything I should worry about? just the idea that he said he will put "no warranty" worries me that I might be taking a risk doing that. Any body know?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm no expert, but i think tinting all the way up makes it so its easier for it to peel. the tint i got didnt really go all the way up, but the gap is sooo small it didnt matter and looks really cool IMO when its down cause it looks kinda two-tone, has a layered look.

IMO i think you should just have the guy fix it so it looks even on both sides and covers all the way up when the window is up.

also the scratches you talk about i kinda think i know what your saying, can you only see it at certain angles and in direct sunlight? what was the guys explanation?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

in a nutshell...minor folds or dirt that is too hard to avoid..also it wont get worse

thanks for the input...

any more opinions on the tint all the way?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

so update on my retint...

went down their on an off day..so they were not busy at all..and they retinted both windows no problem and they did a better job!

i also asked how the "tint all the way up" works...and he said it would completely void the warranty because tinting all the way up is almost guaranteed to peel of. so i just had it done normal...but he was really cool about it and said he would make sure the gap was really small and also even on both sides

Quick Reply: Who has Tinted Windows?