Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

yet another HID question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Default yet another HID question

Hey Guys

ok here is the deal, I am looking for some info on the DDM HID kit webpage
I have done a search and there is lots of useful info but nothing that this newb can decipher if its related.

When on the DDM page, there are three drop down boxes that i'm not sure if i'll need one is the HID harness, the second error code eliminator, and adapter cables. I have seen some installs done with the DDM kit and am wondering if i should even bother with the brackets i liked the idea of stuffing the ballasts between the fender and inner fender gap. Maybe the guys who have done this can tell how they mounted it in there??? lol

thanks all, and please remember this is my first time dealing with HID's so please keep nasty comments down to a min
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

while this is searchable...i know ur all of ur questions are going to be hard to find all at once...

so here is the overview:
-harness....not needed, works fine without...but some have it just for peace of mind that the electrical wont get messedup
-eliminator/adapter not needed
-bracket...only if u want it. most find it very useful...but if u get the Slim Ballast then u can do the fender thing without the brackets
...personally i got the regular ones and mounted on on the battery liner thing...double stick velcro + a velcro warp and the other mounted with double stick velcro on top of the washer fluid resevior

Last edited by KidJustin; 08-01-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As kj stated the hid harness is not needed. But I got one because even ddm says that if you run two or more hid kits than use the harness which I am. Anyway I used 2 ddm 55w 8000k hid kits headlights and fog lights
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
As kj stated the hid harness is not needed. But I got one because even ddm says that if you run two or more hid kits than use the harness which I am. Anyway I used 2 ddm 55w 8000k hid kits headlights and fog lights
actually...if u are going to run 2 hid kits then IMO i would strongly recommend getting a harness

if only 1...then its up to you on how "safe" you want to be...but its completely not needed
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM

ok thanks for bearing with me on that guys the info is much appreciated should be ordering soon pics will come eventually lol
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

my setup:

Name:  IMG_1109.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  154.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1110.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  169.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1111.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  135.6 KB
Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cdnguy1980
thanks all, and please remember this is my first time dealing with HID's so please keep nasty comments down to a min
I think you will find not many people on this forum are like that, not in the tC2 area anyway. (tC1 guys are just plain mean to each other)

Although, some here are quite the search function ***** lately!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scion202
my setup:

Lol you can barely tell they are in there nice setup
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 AM

yeah sorry about that not that i'm implying anyone in this forum is nasty just I have been part of these types of forums before and people can be vicious sometimes, its those people whom i'd like to go to a parts store and they ask an easy to answer question on install or something, and you get "go search for it online" as your answer
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not much of that here, thats why I stick to this site. Most people are very helpful.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Agreed. This is a good forum. Every so often things get a little heated but usually has to do with differing opinions rather than someone asking a noon question.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well this section is still young. Im sure tC1 section 5 years ago was a great place to get lots of help. I've never used forums b4 this one but I do get a little annoyed sometimes when 3rd or 4th thread about the same ____ gets started. However I'll still either answer or just ignore it. This ain't no 4chan, what the ____ is the point in writing 1000 word hatred messages that literally get you nowhere.

-In noob cases it's understandable because they are anxious to get the answers and just registered on the forum a millisecond ago.

-what's worse is when people who have been on here for a week to a month start posting the same questions in every subsection and in the lounge under different names to get "unintentional" bumps
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 AM

ok one more question guys, and this has probably been answered before bear with me again, I got my HID kit installed, seems to work ok so far, I have noticed that it seems when i first turn the lights on they flicker but seem to turn off, might take a second try to get them working, also I'm assuming that the hi beams don't come on for the safety reason of having the lows warm up every time i turn them back on correct?. I have taken the DRL fuse out of the engine fuse box so I'm wondering if there is a connection there with the hi's not turning on when i try to use them? if anyone knows about the drl system on this car
Old 08-14-2011, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation

ok one more question guys, and this has probably been answered before bear with me again, I got my HID kit installed, seems to work ok so far, I have noticed that it seems when i first turn the lights on they flicker but seem to turn off, might take a second try to get them working, also I'm assuming that the hi beams don't come on for the safety reason of having the lows warm up every time i turn them back on correct?. I have taken the DRL fuse out of the engine fuse box so I'm wondering if there is a connection there with the hi's not turning on when i try to use them? if anyone knows about the drl system on this car
I had the same problem with my hids flickering when I first turn them on and they go out so I turn them on again. I found out that at least in my case that the stock set up cannot support the initial start up current of both ballast at the same time. I solved the problem by buying the accessory harness with the fuse which allows the battery to supply the start up current for the 2 ballast. Now it starts up the first time no problem. Again this is what happened in my case also for your second question I cannot answer since I have no drl's
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 AM

but i also have the harness installed as well its the ddm slim kit, i'll try it again tomorrow night maybe i'm just not leaving enough time for them to warm up probably the case, lol
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM

so your DRL no longer turns on if you took the fuse out of the engine fuse box? the DRL is the same bulb as the high beam bulb
Old 08-14-2011, 11:49 PM

well there are two separate fuses for the HI beams and the DRL's but i think they might be tied in somehow, as far as I know the DRL's are normally tied in with the low beams, hence taking out the DRL fuse, i'm a little hesitant to put the fuse back in in case it some how damages either the HID's or some other system
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 AM

ok after some liquid courage i put the DRL fuse back into the fuse box, and blamo the hi beams work again but when i turn the highs on the HID's don't turn off, not that i really care you don't leave the highs on when driving at someone so, for future reference for all my Canadian bros and sisters if you want your High beams to work after you install HID's in the low beam lights leave the DRL fuse in the fuse panel, not sure if the HID's will come on as a result of the DRL fuse going back in but i will try tomorrow when i dont have any booze in the system no drinky drivey for me