Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2013 Scion tC starts cold dies at idle only when warm

Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Default 2013 Scion tC starts cold dies at idle only when warm

2013 Scion tC
No mods

Had been jumping large trucks, tractors and heavy equipment so it killed my battery then I had problems after that

Initial issue
Car would die wen slowing down or when I would stop

Replaced battery, alternator, both tested bad
Replaced air filter, spark plugs(I didn't torque them to any specific torque )

Now the car when I start it cold obviously the Rpms are higher so it stays on but once the cold light goes away and it's warm when I shut it off and turn it back on the car will start but if I don't keep giving it gas it shuts off.

Fuel issues? If so what should I check and how?
Also didn't know torque the spark plugs to any specific spec don't know if that effects it

Not sure what else I can do
Old 01-03-2017, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some people will want to know what you mean by 'it dies'. So do the revs start to decline slowly or rapidly? Like does it go down to 5K RPM and start to stall?

I would not worry about the spark plug torque, I have never toured a sparkplug, however, can you confirm the plug gap is correct?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:32 PM

Might try the following:

1. Clean the MAF - Use only the recommended cleaner, not WD40.
2. Clean throttle body - Again use a separate throttle body cleaner (Different than the MAF) Do NOT touch the throttle body plate. You will need a friend or a couple of bricks to hold down the accelerator to keep the plate open during cleaning with the key in the "On" position (not Accessory). Use a toothbrush or soft plastic brush and cloth. Again, Do NOT touch the plate!
3. Disconnect negative terminal. Wait 15 minutes. This should reset the computer. Restart and let the car sit at idle. Computer may need to "re-learn" your idle settings.

Good Luck

Search this Thread