Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2014 Scion tC Engine Whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*update* <br />
<br />
Car has been in shop since Sunday night. They tested the the other TCS on lot against mine and found all others except one was quiet with no whine. They have now parked my car with the other new car which also has the whine and are working to get a Toyota engineer to their shop. On Monday the engineer immediately told dealer to replace my transmission when he heard a recording of the sound but then stopped the repair when he found out one other car on lot also has the sound. This is getting very eerie because they are getting very hard to get info out of now. They aren't willing to give me any answers. It is as if Toyota has put a gag order on them. lol. They gave me a piece of crap corolla rental car Tuesday afternoon and I haven't heard from them since. <br />
<br />
So in summary, most Etc cars do not have the sound but a few do. The Toyota engineer working the case is very interested in finding out what is wrong with the ones that have it and have refused to let the new one on lot that has it and mine leave until further notice.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My auto does it but only for the first minute or two while the car is still warming up. I can hear it as soon as I crank the car while it is idling in park. If I let the car idle for a minute or two, the whining goes away while in park. If I start driving, it still goes away after a minute or two.

I never hear it once that minute or two is up, regardless of speed or gear.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

verdict is in.......Beware of 2014 Scion TC cars. Both my car and the car sitting next to it on the same lot have both been deemed defective. Cause you ask? According to the Toyota engineers they both have a bad transmission. Both transmissions are being replaced at this moment. Coincidence or bad batch of transmissions? Hmm... Be sure you listen for the sound I posted in the video earlier if you plan to buy a 2014. If you hear that whine run away from it as fast as you can.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

2014's only? I wonder if it has to do with whatever the new transmission programing they have (dynamic rev matching and faster shifting), which is different than the previous model years
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM
SL Member

It's physically the same tranny. So I would think software wouldn't hurt 2 that fast, especially the new one. More than likely a factory defect when the trans was assembled or even installed.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard about horror stories of the FRS transmissions having lots of trouble when those first released. only a select number of cars had the problems. sounds like they did it again with the 2014 tC, but fewer cars have the issue. also it is very likely a different issue than the FRS because the trans are different. theirs was burning. i have no idea what this whine could mean though
Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dalton_Chaotic
my thought exactly. even did the screw driver trick and it sounded like it was coming from there. these a-hole dealers are so trained to say normal its pathetic. I sent that video to every email list on the dealerships website. maybe that will get their attention.

+1 for alternator
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When going to the dealer with any noises, you're going to have to literally point them to exactly what the issue was. Also, the fact that the Toyota engineer told the dealer to replace your trans makes me wonder if my case with a whiney trans that ended up failing at 18k is now more than just my car having a faulty trans.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 AM

Okay.. Is your trans anAutomatic?
How did it work out? Did they replace it yet? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azcatsfan
Okay.. Is your trans anAutomatic?
How did it work out? Did they replace it yet? Thanks.
Ok. One week later. Yes it is an auto. Dealer replaced tranny and test drove it. The noise is half what it used to be but is still there for sure. I was actually warned of this by the service writer before cranking car after repair. I was also told the only reason they replaced tranny is because toyota/scion has known about the noise in all of these transmissions and just happened to he looking for an extremely loud one to dismantle. They are trying to figure out what is causing it. If it wasn't for that I was going to be told it is normal and sent on my way. Listen to every YouTube video out there with these cars starting and you will hear the whine. To make matters worse after I was informed that I will always have the whine I wanted to sell the 20,000 sticker, one week old, 800 mile car back to them. They said sure then offered me 17,000 and said its a year old used carbon their book. A$$holes. They tell me there are tranny problems in these cars that Toyota can't figure out bit won't help me get out of it. Lol. Go figure.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Do you mind telling me which dealer you are dealing with so I can refer the customer service people to this situation. Because I am getting stonewalled at my dealer. Maybe it will help me out. My car is terrible and getting worse.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azcatsfan
Do you mind telling me which dealer you are dealing with so I can refer the customer service people to this situation. Because I am getting stonewalled at my dealer. Maybe it will help me out. My car is terrible and getting worse.
I feel your pain buddy. Let me say first that I have no hard feelings toward my dealer because even though they gave me the "it's normal" at first, in the end they tried to help me. Also don't think a new transmission will make all the noise disappear. I am trying to accept that fact myself but am having a hard time dealing with the nature of this tranny.

With that being said, below should be enough information to punch holes in your "it's ALL normal" problem.

Toyota/Scion of Murfreesboro
2505 South Church Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

And now for your most valuable piece of evidence:
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Scion tC Engine Whine-img_20131216_190424_712.jpg  

Last edited by Dalton_Chaotic; 12-17-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 AM

thanks for the info... Very appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member

Hi Dalton.. Would you be willing to share your VIN info?? Just the last six digits of the VIN too see the serial# of the car.. I am looking to get one also, and after reading your issue I am a bit concerned...

I would like to compare it to the tcs at in the lot at my local dealer...

P.S.. Good luck with the issue/car!

Find the last six digits of the VIN. The 12th through 17th digits are your car's serial number, which is unique to your car.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

now I'm having a weird noise in my car. great.
happened right after my car ran out of gas on the freeway (doh) so i suspect something may have been damaged in the process.

The engine will whine loudly and very high pitched. like tiny scream, almost whistle-like.
no clue what it is yet because i have not checked it extensively. my best guesses so far are power steering related because i remember seeing the warning light for that come on.
Sounds like this:
apparently it's electrical so it makes sense. i was listening to loud music when this all happened. that and my signals and headlights were on for more than an hour...(was not listening to music when those signals and lightst were on for the extended time period.)
consensus was that it was a bad ground due to aftermarket sound system. mine is stock pioneer but apparently that can still cause problems. should I let Toyota handle this?

Last edited by Newman; 12-27-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds like alternator whine to me. I had it with a pioneer head unit in my old car, developed years after I'd installed the HU Turned out to be the alternator going bad though, and stopped when i replaced it. Hopefully its not the al;alternator on a 2012 car but you never know.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that these cars have an alternator that whistles all the time. Funny i was just listening to it last night. The tranny whine and the alternator whistle sure screams quality with these cars. I am very disappointed with Toyota at this point. I can always hear a whistle while driving with the windows up and stereo down. Well that and the tranny whine. Thought it was normal.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Start the video at 3:10 and hear the glory of a noisy ___ engine starting. Alternator whistle and tranny whine with a hint of electric power steering. I found this video when researching the noise in my tranny earlier. I can't believe there was no mention of that in this review. However I guess this means my crap car is normal. Not happy at all.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it has to be with the alternator. mine does not whistle from the speakers though like in the vid i posted. it whistles from the engine bay just like that above vid with the blue 2014 tC.

THAT IS NOT NORMAL!

my car did not do that prior to w/e electrical screw up happened to me last night when my car stalled due to running out of gas.
I hope toyota can fix it...it's a long shot lol!

EDIT: I disconnected the negative end of the battery for 10+ mins in hopes of it fixing w/e ground issue there may have been. idled the car for 15+mins. the whistle is not as bad as it was last night right after i started her up (put gas in). I'll report back when i drive it more to see if the loud annoying whistle will return. It's still there i can barely hear it from the engine bay. it is a very high pitched whistle if any of you have not heard it yet from your cars. like a tiny bird whistling lol. It is from the area where the alternator is.

Last edited by Newman; 12-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Scion tC Engine Whine