Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone experiencing low RPM's at Stops??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody speak to their dealers yet?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what to tell you guys.. I've got a 2013 tC RS 8.0, 6 spd manual tranny, just passed over 15,500Km's, I run premium fuel, Mobil 1 0w20 Synthetic oil. I have one of Dezods V1 Green Headers on the car.

Not having a single issue. Car drops to low idle as always to save gas, zero lull from the moment I hit the gas to taking off. Definitely no "shudder" as some of you put.
Originally Posted by Jan06xB
if you guys were running a scan gauge you could tell how much fuel was being injected when the idle drops that low.
I track all data on my car through the "Torque Pro" App on my Android. I could get you values if you want but I'm not having the same issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also have this problem, and it began quite recently.. before it used to drop in RPM, BUT it never shook or sounded like it would stall.. could it be the knock sensor? i wonder if it was the gas because it hasn't happened again..

also, on a different day, i got up in the morning and warmed up my car as usual. i pulled to the corner of my block and when it was clear, i took off driving, somewhat spirited and when i shifted into second and hit the gas.., the car did NOTHING! i even floored it and it didn't even move the RPM gauge.. and then 5 seconds later with me still giving about half throttle, it just took off.. then it never happened again..
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unsungfate
i also have this problem, and it began quite recently.. before it used to drop in RPM, BUT it never shook or sounded like it would stall.. could it be the knock sensor? i wonder if it was the gas because it hasn't happened again..

also, on a different day, i got up in the morning and warmed up my car as usual. i pulled to the corner of my block and when it was clear, i took off driving, somewhat spirited and when i shifted into second and hit the gas.., the car did NOTHING! i even floored it and it didn't even move the RPM gauge.. and then 5 seconds later with me still giving about half throttle, it just took off.. then it never happened again..
That almost sounds like an issue with the drive by wire not sending a signal?? Intermittent connection perhaps? Maybe you had the friday afternoon built vehicle that someone didn't connect a harness properly? Not idea just throwing suggestions.

I should also mention that my car went through our -45 Celsius winter here in Canada with no starting or driving issues.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrokenTusk
That almost sounds like an issue with the drive by wire not sending a signal?? Intermittent connection perhaps? Maybe you had the friday afternoon built vehicle that someone didn't connect a harness properly? Not idea just throwing suggestions.

I should also mention that my car went through our -45 Celsius winter here in Canada with no starting or driving issues.
well i went 40,000 miles with no problems.. this was straight out of left field..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member

Mine goes pretty low...but dealer told me it's related to Eco mode. To save gas. It never stalls and while it rumbles occasionally, it's not bad. My car prior had real idle problems and let me tell you, the tC is nothing compared to the idle in my old car. Damn thing would stall when I'd throw it in reverse.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have an 60 tC with 65000 mi. on it. Same problem. took to dealer cleaned injector and fuel rail, no better. Cleaned MAF and throttle body myself. it was dirty, no better.

Going to disconnect the battery and try to reset computer next. Idle adjustment on throttle body is sealed over with glue.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happens to me every single time I go fill up my gas tank. Why? No idea. The rpm's drop so low it even shuts down. I need to have A/C on at least for it to fight the low rpm's. As I said, this is only when I refuel. I've always used Shell premium, I pour royal purple 0w-20 and its a manual. I do have an injen CAI and don't know why it only does it each time I refuel. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get slight vibrations as the engine kicks when stopped at a light. but not stalling.
from what i see this problem gets worse as the cars rack up their mileage.

I shut my car off every time i refuel so i do not know if my car does that while refueling.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same problem for me. I have 63k miles. I don't know if the k & n intake is to blame, but it sounds like this is happening to people who are bone stock. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Haha
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

same thing happened to me today, i have a K&N intake and a tsudo exhaust on my car, this morning the car was idling extremely rough, constantly fluctuation, so i unplugged the battery, did nothing, so i got MAF sensor cleaner, cleaned the MAF sensor, unplugged the battery, good as new and the car definitely felt like it had a lot more pick up now, the car had been running extremely sluggish the last few days, id give it gas and it felt like it was going no where, now the car finally takes off like it should
Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2012 Manual with 32,000 miles, always pump Mobil or Shell 93 octane no matter the price. No engine modifications &
Not one single idle problem. I also did a Seafoam round on my last oil change.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KILLER
2012 Manual with 32,000 miles, always pump Mobil or Shell 93 octane no matter the price. No engine modifications &
Not one single idle problem. I also did a seafoam round on my last oil change.
i've started putting 91 or 93 in my 2012 as well, either mobile, sunoco or BP, those are the 3 where I get gas, I had to get a new MAF sensor, cleaned it and fixed the rough idle
Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
Same problem for me. I have 63k miles. I don't know if the k & n intake is to blame, but it sounds like this is happening to people who are bone stock. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Haha
i just got a K&N intake and all of a sudden I'm getting the rough idle, I also have a new MAF sensor, idk why this is happening, i may, need to fix the intake? its idling extremely rough, maybe do a clean and properly reset the ECU? or could it be the spark plugs are loose? I'm just brainstorming, the car just tonight threw a CEL and I'm just so ____ed right now
Old 03-16-2015, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member

Has anyone found a resolution to this Idle problem?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its normal, don't worry about it.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by javithekid069
This happens to me every single time I go fill up my gas tank. Why? No idea. The rpm's drop so low it even shuts down. I need to have A/C on at least for it to fight the low rpm's. As I said, this is only when I refuel. I've always used Shell premium, I pour Royal Purple 0w-20 and its a manual. I do have an Injen CAI and don't know why it only does it each time I refuel. Any suggestions?

I forget the exact reasoning but def shouldn't be pumping fuel into the car while the car is on, the car will just stall out, it's written in the manual that 'll do that. my old 98 Camry did the same thing as well,
something about the fuel coming into the tank forcing evap gas fumes into the engine instead of into the charcoal filter to be filtered out then released to the atmosphere. etc. or something along those lines.

Sometimes when I come to a red light my tC does this as well with the almost stalling out idle. I have 48k on my tC and it's never actually stalled out, 1 time it got close and suddenly the idle kicked up to prevent a stall.
I have asked the dealer they said it's normal. Maybe it is a fuel saving feature? But in any case seems normal..but if your using cheap oil/over the oil life, cheap gas, or your engine isnt up to date on maintenance, it will show in the low idle by being rough.

I've been pretty conservative on the oil, 5k intervals on full syn, 94 Octane from Sunoco only. Runs like a gem

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-04-2020, 01:43 AM

Default Have you figured this out!?

Having the same issue with my 2016 tC, had the EFI service done at Toyota today and the almost stalking when coming to a fast stop is still there.

I’m thinking Temp Coolant Sensor is failing. I know this thread is older but have you guys had any luck finding out what causes this?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 PM

Default Any Resolutions? Anyone?

Originally Posted by Thelost6
Having the same issue with my 2016 tC, had the EFI service done at Toyota today and the almost stalking when coming to a fast stop is still there.

I’m thinking Temp Coolant Sensor is failing. I know this thread is older but have you guys had any luck finding out what causes this?
2011 Scion xB Manual..

I have the same issue, dropping/ fluctuating rpm when idle, sometimes with or without A/C on.
New battery, new alternator, new clutch, MAF Sensor cleaning, Intake cleaning, reset battery and it idled for 10 min.

I'm so frustrated, the problem is still happening, I hope someone, somewhere figured this out?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-27-2021 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Heafer
2011 Scion xB Manual..

I have the same issue, dropping/ fluctuating rpm when idle, sometimes with or without A/C on.
New battery, new alternator, new clutch, MAF Sensor cleaning, Intake cleaning, reset battery and it idled for 10 min.

I'm so frustrated, the problem is still happening, I hope someone, somewhere figured this out?

___
There's been a few threads on this. Somehow the oldest ones keep getting bumped. It's just one of the tC-isms with the MTX models. Mine's done it since I first picked it up 5 years ago. The OV tune helped a little but it still bogs down when the fans kick in. A higher output alternator might fix this but IDK any of those options that are reliable.

Quick Reply: Anyone experiencing low RPM's at Stops??