Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Blew the Valve Train to bits on my 2013 tC2, needs new motor not under Warr

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Blew the Valve Train to bits on my 2013 tC2, needs new motor not under Warr

Took it to the dealer said it needs a new motor (on my dime) does anyone have any ideas for motor options ? Maybe build for turbo ? Buy used? idk but any good suggestions would be welcomed. I live in San Bernardino county of Southern California.
I don't even know of any shops that mess around with tC2s hmu with any shops in the SoCal area that might want to take on a build for turbo or just repair, trying to keep an open mind.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-03-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dam dude how did you manage that ?? and really not covered under warranty ?? how long have you had the car ?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you destroy the valvetrain on a brand new car? did you downshift and over-rev the engine? Nitrous? Turbo? Hooning?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
How did you destroy the valvetrain on a brand new car? did you downshift and over-rev the engine? Nitrous? Turbo? Hooning?
thats what im saying....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

curious what happened since a 2013 SHOULD be under warranty as factory warranty is good foor 3 years 36k
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Betting it was an over rev based on him mentioning valve train damage. Over rev would be considered "abuse" and not warrantable as I understand it. Thats my guess.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSBoogie
Betting it was an over rev based on him mentioning valve train damage. Over rev would be considered "abuse" and not warrantable as I understand it. Thats my guess.
Yup nailed it. Just about to go into fourth gear and grabbed second
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member

Ya plugged it in to their comp. told them exxxxxxxxxactly what happened just like if I would've told them myself,(which I didn't ) I wonder what my face looked like��
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OBDII can be a beatch. Records the data at the time the check engine light comes on. Sorry to hear that. You could try to call corporate, tell them the truth about spirited driving (don't mention "racing" during the conversation or even type it on the web) and beg. Be nice, be polite, be honestish and maybe they'll consider some goodwill assistance (percentage of repair) seeing how the vehicle is so new. Can't hurt to try.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member

OBDII can be a beatch. Records the data at the time the check engine light comes on. Sorry to hear that. You could try to call corporate, tell them the truth about spirited driving (don't mention "racing" during the conversation or even type it on the web) and beg. Be nice, be polite, be honestish and maybe they'll consider some goodwill assistance (percentage of repair) seeing how the vehicle is so new. Can't hurt to try.
Ahhhhhh get outta my head!!!! Lol ya that's what I'm doin to the T!!!! I'm gonna try. Ill pay labor u pay parts!!! Pretty please , I drove the car under the parameters of which such a sports car should be driven !!!!!!! Come on one lil old short. Block won't put Toyota outta business
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how the heck can missing 4th into 2nd destroy your engine? were you running like 6k in 4th, then jumped to 2nd?.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One last note, please don't take this the wrong way, but talk to them like you imagine your father, priest or some older person you respect would. No slang, no street talk. Sadly, if they envision you with a hat on side ways and pants around your knees, they "might" not treat you as a potential repeat customer. I know it sounds dumb but we all know that people judge books by their covers more then they admit.

Best of luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
how the heck can missing 4th into 2nd destroy your engine? were you running like 6k in 4th, then jumped to 2nd?.
3rd to 2nd would be more common. Damage happens faster then you can reapply the clutch if running close to redline in 3rd during "spirited" driving.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member

3rd to 2nd would be more common. Damage happens faster then you can reapply the clutch if running close to redline in 3rd during "spirited" driving.
Sorry I meant 3rd to 2nd gear. And yes I'm a very "spirited" driver
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Whitetc2
Just about to go into fourth gear and grabbed second
Parta that don't u understand. Accidentally dumped into second instead of fourth... You must drive an auto
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

One last note, please don't take this the wrong way, but talk to them like you imagine your father, priest or some older person you respect would. No slang, no street talk. Sadly, if they envision you with a hat on side ways and pants around your knees, they "might" not treat you as a potential repeat customer. I know it sounds dumb but we all know that people judge books by their covers more then they admit.

Best of luck.
None taken "I concur"... ehhh ehh not too shabby ey
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must be bad driver because I don't understand how one mis shift would wipe an engine:.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you shift out of third gear at 7000 rpm and accidentsly drop it into second, rpm would probably hit the 12-14k range. Valves float and the pistons make contact with them. Best case it bends the valves and puts nice dents in the top of the pistons. Worst case it adds unneeded, usually large, vent holes in the engine block from the pistons coming apart.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must be bad driver because I don't understand how one mis shift would wipe an engine:.
I find it unfortunate, but i see how it could blow something.

Lets say your redlining at 6,500 RPM in third. Then you shift to second. Thats like shifting to 9,500 RPM then trying to accelerate. (LSBoogie I dont think your figures are accurate.) But who wants to know am I right?! I bet WhiteTc2 already knows.

I'm surprised the guy was honest about missing a gear, kudos; and good luck. Was your engine even broken in? Do you drive like that often? I'm just trying to learn how not to do this. Redlining in Third is what, 65mph?

I could hear him trying to sound professional on the phone "...for all intents and purposes I was promptly attempting to shift into fourth gear to continue my transit..."

Last edited by StatuSCheckA; 01-10-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added ____.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM

hahahahahahahahaha thats a good one ^^^ =]

3rd gear can go up higher than 65 =]

Quick Reply: Blew the Valve Train to bits on my 2013 tC2, needs new motor not under Warr