Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Catback vs. Axelback exhaust

Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 AM
SL Member

Default Catback vs. Axelback exhaust

I feel kinda dumb having to ask, but if I were to put a catback exhaust on my tC, does that delete the second cat? I live in NY and I would have to worry about emissions during inspection, and I don't want to have to temp install the stock exhaust system every year. If so, would it be better to just go for an axelback exhaust?
I've been looking at different websites to try and see where my budget is, and for either one I don't think I'll spend more than $300 to try something out.

I'm looking to increase the performance of my tC, I just put a cold air intake on, and changing the exhaust is next, but i'm getting a little lost and confused..
Old 04-16-2019, 02:17 PM
SL Member

No.. it goes from the (second) cat.. back. If you only drop $300 on the exhaust though, a cheap catback is going to rasp and sound like a /Honda/. Even some of the axlebacks by themselves give off that sound. You won't pick up much of any HP either way, so my advice would be to go with whatever axleback looks the best to you (i.e. Injen or Tanabe).

A LWCP is a great way to increase your mid-range torque and smooth out the drivetrain at the same time. Plus they probably won't notice it during inspection (depending on color choice).