Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Check Engine Light?? no Hope yet.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 AM

Default Check Engine Light?? no Hope yet.

Hey there everybody i am new here to the Scion community!
Well, Here is my first problem.
I installed the TRD Drop-in air filter and after i drove it about 5 miles the check engine turned on.
The code was p0172-Running rich Bank 1.

now i also tested the MAF sensor to see if it was working properly by turning car on and disconnecting it and yes the car starts to stutter.
next i connected a obd scanner i have and looked at some info.
now i tested with air filter on and with air filter off (TRD)
and these were my readings.

TRD Filter installed: @3k RPMS/MAF= 16.0 lbs/min.
NO Filter INstalled: @3k RPMS/MAF= 16.0 lbs/min.

its the same readings! so i highly doubts its not air related and i am lost.
i really dont wana take it to the dealership.

any ideas??
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MizterSilencer
Hey there everybody i am new here to the Scion community!
Well, Here is my first problem.
I installed the TRD Drop-in air filter and after i drove it about 5 miles the check engine turned on.
The code was p0172-Running rich Bank 1.

now i also tested the MAF sensor to see if it was working properly by turning car on and disconnecting it and yes the car starts to stutter.
next i connected a obd scanner i have and looked at some info.
now i tested with air filter on and with air filter off (TRD)
and these were my readings.

its the same readings! so i highly doubts its not air related and i am lost.
i really dont wana take it to the dealership.

any ideas??
Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal and let it sit for 10-15 mins, then reconnect it? Usually the first time it may sound like it stalls and does not start, but the ecu adjusts quickly and should work on the second start no cel. Especially on a Toyota product
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and complain, you can't void a warranty with a Toyota TRD product
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and complain, you can't void a warranty with a Toyota TRD product
this. but don't tell them you did all that stuff. play dumb and say all u did was install the trd air filter and this started happening so you took it in right away
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Ok i did as you said and no light has came on yet.
My mpg did increase so maybe the issue has been fixed!
Thank you!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah usually whenever you do anything that can affect the vehicles monitors without disconnecting the battery you will get a check engine light.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, always disconnect the battery when doing something of the sorts and let the ECU reset and relearn. I work at a Toyota dealer and see this all the time. Your initial findings..

..are the same because that's what the computer had learned with the factory filter on but in reality was getting much more air with the TRD filter and was trying to correct itself. After reseting the ECU it relearned with the new filter and adjusted for it. Glad you figured it out and thought I would throw this out there for future reference and a more in-depth reason as to why its important to reset the ECU.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Install my TRD intake, started up and died. Tried again and all is well. Noticed it does idle lower though, now around 500-600 instead of 600-750.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
SL Member

Exclamation AF Ratio..

Originally Posted by EvoAKCYABYE
Yes, always disconnect the battery when doing something of the sorts and let the ECU reset and relearn. I work at a Toyota dealer and see this all the time. Your initial findings..

..are the same because that's what the computer had learned with the factory filter on but in reality was getting much more air with the TRD filter and was trying to correct itself. After reseting the ECU it relearned with the new filter and adjusted for it. Glad you figured it out and thought I would throw this out there for future reference and a more in-depth reason as to why its important to reset the ECU.
You work at a Toyota dealership doing what? So what is the proper procedure to relearn AF settings? Install CAI, disconnect neg batt., let idle for 15min., then drive for 15min.? Please correct me if im wrong, im still being plagued by CEL'S. Do I let idle for 5min and drive for 10. lol Whats the proper steps. Cuz I keep on poppin em.

I have installed CAI and UNICHIP, and each time I change my maps for testing I pull the ECU-B fuse and let sit for 15min. Then I put it back in and crank it over and let idle for 15min. Then drive it to work where in the last 1000ft. it decides to sputter and pop CEL. SMFH....

Last edited by CelestialxOne; 08-01-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always just undo the negative battery terminal before any work that has to do with the engine. Leave it undone for 15 minutes. Then hook it back up. Don't connect the negative and positive together and you will be fine. Once you turn it on, drive where you need to go. I don't let it idle for more than a minute. FYI it will usually spitter the very first time and die, the second time its starts right up
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CelestialxOne
You work at a Toyota dealership doing what? So what is the proper procedure to relearn AF settings? Install CAI, disconnect neg batt., let idle for 15min., then drive for 15min.? Please correct me if im wrong, im still being plagued by CEL'S. Do I let idle for 5min and drive for 10. lol Whats the proper steps. Cuz I keep on poppin em.

I have installed CAI and UNICHIP, and each time I change my maps for testing I pull the ECU-B fuse and let sit for 15min. Then I put it back in and crank it over and let idle for 15min. Then drive it to work where in the last 1000ft. it decides to sputter and pop CEL. SMFH....
After reconnecting the battery it needs to idle for 15 minutes and then drove for 15 minutes at 55-60 mph at a constant speed. It's best to use your cruise control for this. Find the most flat and uninterrupted highway/road you can find. This is the best way to make sure the CEL wont come on again. If it does then something else is wrong and need to be diagnosed further.