Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch issues please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutch issues please help!!

Ok everyone time to go out and start up your manual tcs and listen to the clutch sound then press the clutch to the floor and see if it goes away..... Mine makes a slight rubbing/grinding noise and when the clutch is out and I rev the engine you hear the noise get louder and if I press In the clutch the noise goes away again..... Need to know if this is common or not its an hour drive to the dealer.... Please help a friend out!! Respond asap
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Clutch chatter is normal
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member

Clutch chatter eh. That explains a lot. Sometimes when I let off the clutch after switching gears, I hear some of this clutch chatter too, but I'm releasing at the right moment. I'm assuming this is normal?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having issues when cold going into second... The other day it audibly grinded... Clutch was fully depressed.... Wth??
Old 05-19-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by messyjesse87
I'm having issues when cold going into second... The other day it audibly grinded... Clutch was fully depressed.... Wth??
How many miles do you have on your car?
Mine used to do that once in a while, like once a week, when the car was brand new.
Changing from 1st to 2nd gear was almost always rough.
But it got better and better.
It makes no noise now at 5k miles.
I think it got smooth by the time I had 2k miles on it.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 5100 on it right now
Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm noticing the same thing, only 1700 miles or thereabouts... brought the issue up with a dealership here and was told it was "normal" and the car was fine.

*shrug*
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty much everyone on here has griped about the tranny. Cold weather makes it almost impossible to shift until the tranny warms up. Once ambient temps hit 60F and above, the issue goes away. The clutch acts just like it is at the end of it's life imo. Cars that I have worn out clutches on behaved exactly the same. Rough getting in 1st, 2nd and reverse. I have 5600 on mine and nice warm weather, it is not really a problem anymore.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wonderful news. I have a somewhat uneasy feeling about the longevity of the transmission if this is a common complaint. Not to bash the car, but if the temp drops and it feels like @$#% then why would I drive it? I mean really, this is not a 'summer' car.

Sorry, not directed at anyone, just... after a rough purchase, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if this car does not hold up to my normal driving.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will get better with time. Only one guy on here has managed to grenade a tranny to my knowledge.. Pretty sure it was a lemon from the start.
I have not tried to do burnouts and run around chirping 2nd gear, but I do drive mine hard on occasion. No problems yet. Everyone who has installed shifter and base bushings on these swears it helps tons. That reminds me I need to order a set. tHey take the slop and mush feel out of the linkage. Check out the TWM performance threads.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Wonderful news. I have a somewhat uneasy feeling about the longevity of the transmission if this is a common complaint. Not to bash the car, but if the temp drops and it feels like @$#% then why would I drive it? I mean really, this is not a 'summer' car.

Sorry, not directed at anyone, just... after a rough purchase, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if this car does not hold up to my normal driving.
I'm actually in the same boat... Love for the car has gone to like and it's just becoming a head ache for me. The transmission in mine is being replaced because I was having so many problems until it started making a noticeable noise and wasn't taking 2nd gear. Dealer finally got back to me after 3 weeks saying they found a transmission and it's been ordered. I'm actually kind of disappointed with my tc...sadly. Though I still think it's sexy! Again just like you, not to bash the car, but i'm just not having the best experience with the tC2.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obie
i'm just not having the best experience with the tC2.
Same here. I bought 6 brand new cars over 12 years time. I've never ever had any problem with any of the cars except this tC2. The most annoying one is the roof noise that just can't be fixed yet after taking the car in for 2 times. The 3rd time is coming soon. I hope 2012 tC would solve all these issues for the future buyers.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tyap
Same here. I bought 6 brand new cars over 12 years time. I've never ever had any problem with any of the cars except this tC2. The most annoying one is the roof noise that just can't be fixed yet after taking the car in for 2 times. The 3rd time is coming soon. I hope 2012 tC would solve all these issues for the future buyers.
Car just isn't as fun for me anymore because i'm constantly back and forth with the dealer. I end up driving my 84 corolla just because I enjoy it so much more then my tc2 lol
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Don't hate on the 'rolla!

Obie, how did you manage to get your dealership to look at the transmission issue? Did it just get to the point that 2nd was no longer an option? I don't want to burn almost $200 for the TRD SS and TWM Bushings to 'fix' an issue that shouldn't be there to start with, but being told the transmission is 'normal' just burns my haunches.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also for us owners of the short shifter if any larger problems arise won't they void the warranty?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
^^ Don't hate on the 'rolla!

Obie, how did you manage to get your dealership to look at the transmission issue? Did it just get to the point that 2nd was no longer an option? I don't want to burn almost $200 for the TRD SS and TWM Bushings to 'fix' an issue that shouldn't be there to start with, but being told the transmission is 'normal' just burns my haunches.
Not hating on the corolla, I love mine! :-) Currently working on a 4agze swap into my little ae86, loving every minute! As for getting them to look at it I demanded the service manager to ride with me in the car. After he heard what I was talking about he got his techs to look at everything that could be the issue and it turned out to be a bad tranny.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just reading this now. I don't want this to seem like I know exactly what's wrong, because I don't, but I can tell you its not likely the transmission that's the issue. I have yet to hear of anyone replacing one yet other than Obie, so that's not a very high percentage of failure.

Anyways, I have this "grinding" noise as everyone puts it and my take is that it's the throwout bearing. This transmission uses a completely different style throwout compared to other cars. Point in case, it's actually bolted to the transmission, not attached to a fork. It's hydraulically actuated from what I can tell and this could be part of the noise. But it can't be the transmission as the sound wouldn't go away when the clutch is depressed.

Obie, sucks to hear your having issues, but my thought is that the dealer may have just jumped to conclusions and replaced the transmission when in reality, they didn't have a clue what was wrong. Process of elimination type thing; EX. your tires wear out too fast, therefore it must be the tires and not an alignment.

Keep us posted with what happens. I'm interested in hearing what the result is.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bushings are not expensive, short shifter is not necessary either. I am with 1stOne... The clutch is an issue, but it is more a nuisance than a major problem. A thinner, more slippery gear oil may help the tranny too. Trust me guys, the more the car "breaks in" the better it gets. I still swear my B&M shifter T-handle was the best 30 bucks I spent on this ride. WAY more leverage, plus it is weighted.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My second gear many times engages rather hard when its cold.. I'm going to be ____ed if it doesnt break in..
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ x4!!!

Quick Reply: Clutch issues please help!!