Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dc42nr86
Cabbie,

I got that noise too when I first started my car after filling it up with oil again. Is that normal? It sounds disgusting. Anyone else experience that or just Cabbie and I?
That is normal, it takes a second for the oil to fill up the filter and get to the rest of the engine. You can lessen this noise by trying to fill up the filter cup and new filter with new oil before putting it back on. But not necessary.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Red2014tC
That is normal, it takes a second for the oil to fill up the filter and get to the rest of the engine. You can lessen this noise by trying to fill up the filter cup and new filter with new oil before putting it back on. But not necessary.
Filling up the filter cup would be damn near impossible on tc2.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dalton_Chaotic
Filling up the filter cup would be damn near impossible on tc2.
From ground level yes, if you can get under it with a lift or service pit it is easy. I work in a quick-lube in Canada and I fill them all the time on the tC's and Camry's.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can anyone post a pic or explain where it shows the 10,000 mile first oil change interval in service manual. I'm in canada so I'm in km. I only see the chart that has mileage across the top and what service to get along the edge and it shows first oil change as 8000km. Not sure if there is another recommendation located somewhere else.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HOODedDutchman
Can anyone post a pic or explain where it shows the 10,000 mile first oil change interval in service manual. I'm in canada so I'm in km. I only see the chart that has mileage across the top and what service to get along the edge and it shows first oil change as 8000km. Not sure if there is another recommendation located somewhere else.
In Canada they consider us to be in the "Severe Service" category at all times because of the temperature extremes. I changed my oil at 4000K because Toyota says I have to change it every six months, which is BS but w/e. I get free Pennzoil or Amsoil at work anyways.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
I kept pondering the same question because I was used to 5W30 in my 2006 tC. Finally I ended up using whatever it says on the Oil Filler Cap. 0Wsomething. Don't put too much thought into it. What do you think Toyota puts in when you get a oil change?
My local stealership has a pull-down nozzle that dispenses Mobil1 0w20. They don't even use the "Toyota" brand (which is M1 with some additives) unless they're topping off a leaky motor.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AlmostAlcoholic
i understand that you guys might have rough driving conditions and may need to change the oil sooner than others- but you guys do know that the 10k first oil change interval is due to the special break-in additive from the engine manufacturer-right?

common sense... why would they put that first service interval in the manual? under a warranty?

....smfh. some people just don't know engines or believe they know whats right over others who truly know more..
The oil might last 10k+, but I've never known of a filter to go more than 5k without losing functionality. Also, the manual says 5k for heavy use. I abuse the ____ out of my engine. Are you saying I should wait to 10k for the first one even though I know I drive it hard and the filter is probably no good after 5?

I'm going to stick with changing the oil and filter every 5k and take advantage of the free 10k changes from the dealership for the first two years.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not impressed with this set-up of oil filter. I cut down my Flotec filter wrench twice and still was unable to take the filter housing off. Dumped my oil back in the engine and called it a day. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the plastic wrench, the 3/8" hole would strip inside? strange so I used a 1" 6pt socket and was still unable to loosen the housing up, ggrr!