Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Full Bolt-on tC2s

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by VuDism
If u don't think NA is worth tuning please do research and see what tuning can do for NA.

Look at what a Tuned FRS/BRZ is capable of.

Back in my younger days I witnessed a 2002 RSX type-S walked all over an S2000 on a highway pull. S2000 was stock 14.1s 1/4mile. RSX-S runs 14.8s 1/4 mile stock. Big difference. This RSX had intake header exhaust and Hondata tuned. You can def tune NA cars. Esp if it has variable valve timing. [SIZE="4"]In the RSX it has VTEC... tC has vvti[/SIZE]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Those 2 are not similar in any way at all.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
Nothing wrong with a used kit if you find a good deal and know what your looking at also my gas mileage went up when I boosted my tc to averaging 30.5 mpg driving it 70 miles every day to and from work and everywhere made good numbers on a conservative tune I had $3k in it total with gauges tune fresh turbo rebuild I Installed it all myself step by step my first turbo install or major car mod for that matter was even running stock clutch lol couldn't justify spending 2k for bolt ons when I could just spend 3k to be boosted
So u spent $2500 on the kit... Then only another $500 on everything else?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TiaMaria
I ordered a silver one, of course!
Not sure what u are pointing out to being not similar... But to add to that... Look up what a Toyota Corolla XRS can do with intake/header/exhaust and apex safc tune... Same motor as the Celica GT-S

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So u spent $2500 on the kit... Then only another $500 on everything else?

Not sure what world you live in but tuning isn't free my tune was $500 the entire kit gauges and all was $2500 have fun wasting 2k to still get stomped by every Civic Si out there...rofl

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 AM

Not sure what u are pointing out to being not similar... But to add to that... Look up what a Toyota Corolla XRS can do with intake/header/exhaust and apex safc tune... Same motor as the Celica GT-S

Agreed. But you are talking about VVTLi which is found in the past gen Corolla and Matrix XRS's with the 2zz-ge engine. The current XRS's and 1st-2nd gen tC's offer VVTi which only varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive and the intake camshaft, which really doesn't offer anything performance wise other than better gas miliage.

Unlike VTEC and VVTLi that varies the timing and also the "lift" and duration of the valves for a longer period of time at a certain RPM to produce more power.

So no...VTEC is in no way similar to VVTi.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
Not sure what world you live in but tuning isn't free my tune was $500 the entire kit gauges and all was $2500 have fun wasting 2k to still get stomped by every Civic Si out there rofl
No need to get upset. I was kidding around.

What I'm saying is not everyone can get the same deal u got $3k for everything. Not everyone has the ***** to install a whole turbo kit themselves.
I did a WRX drivetrain swap into a GC8 2.5RS which took over 2 months in my friends garage. I had to borrow my uncle's pickup to drive to work /school. Not everybody has the means to do what you did. $500 for a tune is relatively cheap as well.

Also... I spent $2500 on my tC so far. Only about $550 (Intake and Unichip) on engine performance. I can stomp Civic Sis no problem. Matter of fact... DSport magazine did nothing but suspension mods to a 2011 tC and they ran faster 1/4 mile times with the tC than the Si.

Don't spit $#!+ unless u know

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ske7ch
Agreed. But you are talking about VVTLi which is found in the past gen Corolla and Matrix XRS's with the 2zz-ge engine. The current XRS's and 1st-2nd gen tC's offer VVTi which only varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive and the intake camshaft, which really doesn't offer anything performance wise other than better gas miliage.

Unlike VTEC and VVTLi that varies the timing and also the "lift" and duration of the valves for a longer period of time at a certain RPM to produce more power.

So no...VTEC is in no way similar to VVTi.
Gotcha. I didn't say they were similar. I'm just saying they are both variable valve timing. I'm saying, I'm general, ANY variable timing is more tunable than without. Obviously some better than others
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 AM

To answer the OP's question: Yes you would get decent gains with just bolt-ons, 20-25whp? I don't know, but I've seen tC2's with just a Dezod header, Intake and Exhaust in the 170'swhp, which for an N/A four banger are pretty decent numbers. The new tC's engine is actually a really good engine with a lot of potential, the only problem is the tC is heavy as ____ so you will see cars with lower whp walk you simply because they weigh less.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM

Gotcha. I didn't say they were similar. I'm just saying they are both variable valve timing. [SIZE="4"]I'm saying, I'm general, ANY variable timing is more tuneable than without[/SIZE]. Obviously some better than others
100% Agreed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that with half the cash the Civic would be way faster than any NA tC Hondas have NA figured out and everyone's gotta acknowledge that boost isn't for everyone but bolt ons are mostly for looks and sound the gains are just so minimal for the amount of cash dropped

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer the OP's question: Yes you would get decent gains with just bolt-ons, 20-25whp? I don't know, but I've seen tC2's with just a dezod header, intake and exhaust in the 170'swhp, which for an N/A four banger are pretty decent numbers. The new tC's engine is actually a really good engine with a lot of potential, the only problem is the tC is heavy as ____ so you will see cars with lower whp walk you simply because they weigh less.

Back on topic X2 sorry to make this into a boost vs NA thread it's not and it shouldn't be just realize gains are minimal
Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer the OP's question: Yes you would get decent gains with just bolt-ons, 20-25whp? I don't know, but I've seen tC2's with just a dezod header, intake and exhaust in the 170'swhp, which for an N/A four banger are pretty decent numbers. The new tC's engine is actually a really good engine with a lot of potential, the only problem is the tC is heavy as ____ so you will see cars with lower whp walk you simply because they weigh less.
All Dynos are different tho. DSport magazine dynoed a stock tC2 at 180whp 3 different times.

I mentioned this on another thread. Stock tC2 about 3060lbs. Manual 6.9s 0-60 and 15.4s @ 90mph 1/4 mile. For comparison the lighter Si at 2850lbs and 200hp runs 6.9 0-60 and 15.0-15.1 @ 93mph... tC isn't that heavy. And isn't that far behind a lighter more powerful car...
For comparison Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, WRX are 3150-3300 lbs... more power obviously.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good discussion going on here.

About the cold air intake versus short ram intake, I live in an area that gets sudden flood hazards, so I rather stick with short ram, just to be safe.

I know it's not as effective, but still.

EDIT: VuDism, I'm surprised that you can beat Si's, actually. That is surprising.

I'll probably get the Headers before the Unichip, just because it may be better to have the Unichip mapped for the headers, if that's possible?

Right now I already have a Megan Racing full Catback, and Injen SRI on the way, along with NST pulley (lol), so I figure my next move will be Headers, and eventually Unichip.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i actually kept up with an Si from a 20 roll. we stayed neck and neck till my 6th gear then he left me. all i had was pulley header and intake. and that was when i was moving up to dallas i had all my things packed in the car!

and get this to finish off exhaust. put it all on at once
http://www.racingsolution.com/scion/...pipe-2011.html
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vanity
Good discussion going on here.

About the cold air intake versus short ram intake, I live in an area that gets sudden flood hazards, so I rather stick with short ram, just to be safe.

I know it's not as effective, but still.

EDIT: VuDism, I'm surprised that you can beat Si's, actually. That is surprising.

I'll probably get the eaders before the Unichip, just because it may be better to have the Unichip mapped for the Headers, if that's possible?

Right now I already have a Megan Racing full catback, and Injen SRI on the way, along with nst pulley (lol), so I figure my next move will be headers, and eventually unichip.
Yes. There is a whole Unichip thread. There are maps for the header.

I still don't know why it is surprising i can beat an Si. I'm surprised that it is surprising lol.

I mentioned earlier stock 1/4 miles for both cars. tC 15.4@90. Si 15.1@93. DSport magazine modded a tC with nothing but SUSPENSION mods and ran faster times with the tC.
I have an Injen intake. "9hp" gain. And Unichip "15hp" gain. And wheels that makes my car lose 32lbs of unsprung weight.

I don't know why everyone thinks the Si is so much faster stock. It is not. Matter of fact... The #s so close that if you are a better driver than the Si u will win Stock.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go race one and let us know the out come end of story
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is your guys opinion on this intake??

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...5L&&brandID=78

Shows a dyno chart claiming 11 hp & 11 tq:

http://afepower.com/catalog/TA-2012P...2PDYNO1600.jpg
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Afe takeda intakes have a big CEL problem. Not worth it

Injen CAI gets 9hp. No cel

Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the heads up. AFE Makes the best intake for the Tacomas but I wasn't so sure about their tC version.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my afe Takeda intake for 2 years now with not a single CEL.

Quick Reply: Full Bolt-on tC2s