Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

headers and nop tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default headers and nop tune

i want to get headers. however I have no where near me where i can get a tune. wouldnt I burn out the pistons or something in the engine because the fuel would be running too lean? or couldnt i just get cams? do they even make after market cams for our cars yet? new cars suck for that limited after market reason
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would a header make you run lean? I have had my header installed since Dezod first introduced it for the tC2. Well over a year ago...no issues.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would run more lean because its more air flowing into the motor than it could handle.... at least that is what i have been told
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No tune needed. While the header would allow for better performance because of reduced back pressure, the increase wouldn't be of any significance that the ECU couldn't adjust and compensate. Just reset the ecu for and let it relearn once the header is installed.

cams would make everything worse since you would have to go to a standalone engine management system to get the engine to run properly, BTW, there are cams for the 2nd gen tC, but best performance per dollar comes from a turbo. the tC's engine is not a big N/A building engine.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
No tune needed. While the header would allow for better performance because of reduced back pressure, the increase wouldn't be of any significance that the ECU couldn't adjust and compensate. Just reset the ecu for and let it relearn once the header is installed.

cams would make everything worse since you would have to go to a standalone engine management system to get the engine to run properly, BTW, there are cams for the 2nd gen tC, but best performance per dollar comes from a turbo. the tC's engine is not a big N/A building engine.
this is what my friend patrick said in reply to what you said

"That's like sayin swaping injectors won't decrease gas mileage unless you disconnect the battery and let the ecu adjust to the 50 lb/hr injector lol...the car sees a specific amount of fuel, air, and exhaust (the oxygen sensors monitoring the air in the exhaust) if you do a better flowing header the O2 sensors will see more fuel in the exhaust so it'll lean out the car as much as it can...my subie was rated 17 city and before the tune I couldn't take it above 4 grand (after full exhaust install) otherwise it'll burn a hole in the piston from getting so hot...I was gettin 38 mpg!!! But the subie was turboed and I've seen mustangs drive around without a tune but it doesn't run 100%...so idk imho I still think even if you do do the header you still have to worry about the o2 sensor code, cat below threshold code if you get rid of the cat or a false code of an o2 sensor stuck lean idk man I honestly don't think its worth it...like I'd put a catback on the toaster and call it a day lol...but that's my autobiography paper for this subject rofl"
Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You aren't changing injectors, you're putting on a high performance exhaust header. As for your friends Subaru, it was probably a turbocharged WRX which is way different. Because it has a turbo, when you put in a higher flowing downpipe and exhaust, the reduction in back pressure allows the turbo to spool and flow much faster that when the ECU see's the increase in boost pressure, it will pull timing and go into limp mode. which is why he couldn't go above 4k rpms.

If you do intake, header and exhaust, you won't need a tune, once you reset the ECU and it relearns it's operating parameters and makes corrections, it will run just fine.

I had a 2005 tC with the TRD supercharger. It was reflashed to run with the supercharger, then I put on a weapon-r header, there was no tuning compensation for the header, I went from 190 whp to 209 whp, then I swapped from the stock 7 PSI pulley to the 9 PSI pulley, and added full 3 inch exhaust, went to 225 whp, no new tuning was needed. drove the car like that for two years before I went to a turbo, and THEN it needed a piggyback ECU.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man. you really helped me out and cleared something amongst the local scion dudes