Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Oil filter ?

hey every1. Free one year oil changes are over so ill change the oil myslef soon. Its my first time dealing with a re-usable toyota filter. Dealership tried to sell me that oil filter removal tool for like $35 and told me it can only come out with that... Is this true? Just need to be sure before getting my back dirty and failing when i try using my normal tools... Can it be removed with hand? Or normal oil filter removal tools?

Thanks in advance and sorry if its been answered before, did a quick search in my phone but no luck
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You cannot remove the filter with anything but a Toyota Oil Filter Removal Tool. But you do not have to buy it at the dealership because their price is outrageous. I purchased mine from Autozone for like $7.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
You cannot remove the filter with anything but a Toyota Oil Filter Removal Tool. But you do not have to buy it at the dealership because their price is outrageous. I purchased mine from Autozone for like $7.
Thank u sir for going straight to the point! Will buy one today!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by fly_low
hey every1. Free one year oil changes are over so ill change the oil myslef soon. Its my first time dealing with a re-usable toyota filter. Dealership tried to sell me that oil filter removal tool for like $35 and told me it can only come out with that... Is this true? Just need to be sure before getting my back dirty and failing when i try using my normal tools... Can it be removed with hand? Or normal oil filter removal tools?

Thanks in advance and sorry if its been answered before, did a quick search in my phone but no luck
Just changed my oil/filter about a week ago for the same reason...free dealer changes ran out. Had a hell of a time trying to remove the filter housing, tried everything that is out there for removing filters (except the tool you are referring to from toyota) and nothing worked.

Finally went at it with two channel locks. One with a bite on either of the two large tabs outside of the housing and the other opened and inserted in the cross pattern directly in the middle of the housing...came right off. Sorry didn't snap any pictures.