Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Removing "Cruise Control" unit from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Removing "Cruise Control" unit from engine bay

Hey guys, I've been wondering for a long time now about what weight reduction mods I can safely do to my car. As it sits, my (AT) car weighs 2,950lbs and that is with lightweight wheels, cf hood, lighter aftermarket parts, etc, etc. My car's weight goal is 2,850 so I essentially still have another 100lbs to go.

My question is, can we remove the cruise control unit/module from inside our engine bay? Do we even have such a unit? I tried searching online and on youtube, and came across videos that show people removing the C.C. from their car. However, all of these cars are much older and (I'm assuming) have different engine layouts and components. Is removing the C.C. possible on newer cars such as ours? Or is it some type of irremovable computer chip that is built into the car's electronics? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Link to such a video (this kid knows what he is doing IMO):
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought the tc2 has a electronic throttle like the tc1. which means that this video didn't help to much (if i'm correct about the throttle). You might wanna try removing sound deadening. That would remove more weight than that cc anyway
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Martyr is right. Our cars are drive-by-wire. No such module will exist on our cars.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Yeah, Martyr is right. Our cars are drive-by-wire. No such module will exist on our cars.
Dang! Well, that's why I asked such a question lol. I guess I just got ahead of myself when I started thinking of things to gut from my car. Thanks for answering my question anyway.

Ripping out the sound deadning foam/carpet has crossed my mind, but I'm looking for sacrifices I can live with. Things like cruise control, windshield washer tank, and AC are things that I can easily live without. However, I don't want to compromise the ride quality, which is largely subjective I suppose.

Is there anything I can easily remove from the engine bay that won't mess with my car's drive-ability? My car is currently getting a CF roof installed, which descendant anticipated a 80-ish lbs loss. I just need a few more weight reduction mods to reach my goal. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man if you are getting the CF roof, you may as well go with the CF rear hatch as well. The entire top layer of your car in CF will not only look sick, it will lower your center of gravity and exceed your weight loss goal.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Second the hatch and search for carbon fiber doors and fenders, rear view mirrors if there are even any. Remove front a rear bumpers. Just for ideas/that can be done: Valve cover cover and hood insulation. Carbon/ceramic brakes are lighter, engine pulleys, light weight flywheel, most aftermarket coilovers are lighter. Power steering balance shaft a/c delete. Custom fit electric water pump. Replace glass with oem fit plexi glass or whatever its called and fix/delete sun roof. Rear seats, heater core, light weight radiator, full exhaust (including header, no cats), slicks/r compund lol. Fully gutted interior (center console delete, air bags, carpet, foam, dash, fans, speakers and sub and radio, spare tire. Light weight battery. Racing seats and steering wheel. Gas tank delete, fuel cell. Tube chassis front (and/or rear) that'll kill plenty of weight including double A-arm front suspension. All interior wiring that's not necessary, Air bag, antenna, etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions biglilsteve and turbomonkey. Def gave me some new ideas I hadn't considered before. However, most of the stuff on that list seemed either custom work (which translates into expensive) or cf parts (which are also incredibly expensive).

I guess I got really excited about removing the C.C. module because, unlike buying lighter aftermarket parts, yanking stuff out of the car is always cheaper. As I am nearing the end of my build, I have pretty much used up all of my funds Otherwise I would've bought the cf hatch in a heartbeat. Weight reduction on a budget anyone? lol
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get rid of your abs system should shave a few lbs and just do T-connectors from the master cylinder to the brake lines
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please don't do that ^ or remove your CC. You have a brand new $20,000 car. Don't yank out random parts to save an extra 100 pounds on a car that will never be extremely fast. CF parts are awesome for weight savings. Don't go halfway with your brand new car. If you're extremely concerned about weight and speed then you should look into getting a cheap car that you can mess with and is less expensive if something messes up
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not get rif of your ABS. On a track sure, it can yield a higher lap time or require more skill, but it's not worth removing on the road, especially when its raining. Yes, most of the things I listed will cost quite the coin lol. I wouldn't remove a/c, it just won't be attractive to drive anymore. Remove the rear seats and recarpet is a pretty good weight saver and it will give more cargo space. Keeping your mods oem quality like will make the car more attractive.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Hey man if you are getting the CF roof, you may as well go with the CF rear hatch as well. The entire top layer of your car in CF will not only look sick, it will lower your center of gravity and exceed your weight loss goal.
My other car came with a CF roof and rear hatch and...