Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/)
-   -   Stock snorkel removal (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/stock-snorkel-removal-212005/)

FirsttCFirstWhip 02-20-2012 01:12 AM

Stock snorkel removal

has anyone done a DIY on removing the snorkel?

Also, are there any cons for doing this mod?

Backinblacktc2 02-20-2012 01:54 AM

All you have to do is remove one screw. It's been done by a couple of people and they like it more airflow.

Druidiron 02-20-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2 (Post 3977025)
All you have to do is remove one screw. It's been done by a couple of people and they like it more airflow.

Plus, there is that one guy on here who hydro locked his engine with a stock snorkel and a big puddle.

The only con I see is that the inlet air will be a few degrees warmer. This is only going to happen in stop and go/slow speed driving. At highway speeds you won't see a difference.

Matter of fact, before I speak out of the side of my face, I will take mine out tomorrow for the week and let you know the change. I have a Scangauge2 and I monitor air temp as it goes by the MAFS. With the snorkel at highway speeds, the inlet air is anywhere from 3-10 degrees warmer than the outside air; closer to outside in the winter and further in the summer. In stop and go traffic the inlet air can be 15-40 degrees warmer than the outside air, again- closer to in winter and further in summer.

FirsttCFirstWhip 02-20-2012 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Druidiron (Post 3977047)
Plus, there is that one guy on here who hydro locked his engine with a stock snorkel and a big puddle.

The only con I see is that the inlet air will be a few degrees warmer. This is only going to happen in stop and go/slow speed driving. At highway speeds you won't see a difference.

Matter of fact, before I speak out of the side of my face, I will take mine out tomorrow for the week and let you know the change. I have a Scangauge2 and I monitor air temp as it goes by the MAFS. With the snorkel at highway speeds, the inlet air is anywhere from 3-10 degrees warmer than the outside air; closer to outside in the winter and further in the summer. In stop and go traffic the inlet air can be 15-40 degrees warmer than the outside air, again- closer to in winter and further in summer.

ok thank you! can you take a picture of the screw which you have to remove when you do it tomorrow? thanks!

Druidiron 02-20-2012 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by FirsttCFirstWhip (Post 3977072)
ok thank you! can you take a picture of the screw which you have to remove when you do it tomorrow? thanks!

Sure

GAPS11TC 02-20-2012 03:49 AM

Sweet was gonna ask the same question lol.

Scion202 02-20-2012 04:22 AM

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...postcount=1177
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=993

zacc3us 02-20-2012 04:38 AM

I literally just did this a couple hours ago the sound is much better in my opinion, but I havent really felt any change in horsepower although I havent really gotten a chance to really test it yet.

Scion202 02-20-2012 05:02 AM

warm up the car really good, then floor it when you goin around 20mph
having premium gas will help as well

zacc3us 02-20-2012 07:37 AM

I was messing around on my way home from a friends and it did seem to pick up and go a bit quicker. Ill definitely be leaving the snorkel off until I get enough money saved up for the weapon-r sri.

XPRESSCION 02-20-2012 04:48 PM

That's pretty long compared to the gen1's. It bends down into the wheel fender about four inches.

I ripped off my wheel well cover during the first snow fall. I ran TRD CAI with the filter exposed since I decided to trade it in within the next couple months that I wanted to test the limits a tad.

It was okay even while driving in the rain & puddles. And when I traded it last week, Carmax didn't even noticed the snorkel was missing; since it probably would of fell off it probably wouldn't even make a difference.

devanb3 02-20-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Druidiron (Post 3977047)

the thing with the guy who hydro locked his engine is he said he went through a foot of water the stock intake only sits about 2 1/2 feet off the ground so driving through with or without the snorkel would have done that...

basically for the how to all you have to do is remove the top cover take the filter out beside the snorkel in the engine bay (to the right of the intake box) is a small screw and that is all you need to remove if you need a pic let me know and ill try and find one

GAPS11TC 02-20-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 3977309)
the thing with the guy who hydro locked his engine is he said he went through a foot of water the stock intake only sits about 2 1/2 feet off the ground so driving through with or without the snorkel would have done that...

basically for the how to all you have to do is remove the top cover take the filter out beside the snorkel in the engine bay (to the right of the intake box) is a small screw and that is all you need to remove if you need a pic let me know and ill try and find one

That would be helpful devanb3 =) lol

FirsttCFirstWhip 02-20-2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 3977309)

x2 for picture please :)

zacc3us 02-20-2012 09:51 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cr7vb4.jpg
lets see if this works on my phone

The bolt that is circled in red is the only one I think...

Druidiron 02-21-2012 02:29 AM

Yes, thats is it. There are some tabs inside the airbox too, but if you just wiggle the snorkel it will come out eventually.

I did not take mine out today because I was preocupied with getting a new phone (Driod4, love it!) and my super cheap Ebay sub/amp combo came this morning, so I have been hiding wires and what not all day.
I will do it as soon as I can though, but do you blame me for not getting to it? lol

devanb3 02-21-2012 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by zacc3us (Post 3977409)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2cr7vb4.jpg
lets see if this works on my phone

The bolt that is circled in red is the only one I think...

thats the bolt

transformis 02-21-2012 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scion202 (Post 3977133)
having premium gas will help as well

No. It will not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_..._octane_rating

A common misconception is that power output or fuel efficiency can be improved by burning fuel of higher octane than that specified by the engine manufacturer.

Scion202 02-21-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by transformis (Post 3977567)

ive read plenty of this myself.

I used 93 octane and felt an improvement along with some other ppl on here. go to shell and get their 93 octane equivalent gas, you will notice the difference

transformis 02-21-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scion202 (Post 3977575)
ive read plenty of this myself.

I used 93 octane and felt an improvement along with some other ppl on here. go to shell and get their 93 octane equivalent gas, you will notice the difference

It's a pretty well known psychological phenomenon. You think that you are getting higher quality and therefore will perceive that you are actually getting it.

The simple fact is, 87 octane and 93 octane fuels burn the same. They both have the same potential energy and release the same amount of energy when burned. The only difference is that it is possible to compress the higher octane fuel more before it detonates. The scion engine isn't designed with high compression, and does not require "premium" fuel.

In general, higher performance engines will "require" higher octanes fuels because they are designed for higher compression. But using a higher octane fuel will not make your engine perform better.