Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Strange throttle response 2012 tC

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

Default Strange throttle response 2012 tC

Hello all! I just purchases a 2012 tC this Sunday. It has the 6 spd manual and about 13,800 miles.

This is the first drive-by-wire car I've ever driven as well as the newest car I've ever owned. I sadly said goodbye to my 1999 Subaru Outback 5 spd who has served me well.

My question is twofold. I've noticed when I am cruising at a specific speed, i.e. around 35 or 45 mph, the throttle sometimes feels like you're letting your foot off the gas then giving it power. It's very quick but it's rhythmic. It only occurs at certain speeds. It's like the car is lightly stalling or something like your plug wires going bad.

I also have the issue of the revs increasing just a bit when you shift. It is very strange to me since I've only ever driven older cars. Makes me feel like I'm 16 again and learning how to shift gears. Problem is that I've driven manual transmission cars for over 16 years. Is there a fix or maybe a software update?

If these questions have been addressed previously I apologize. I looked about 7 pages back and found nothing.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello! People have theorized that getting a lightweight flywheel will help get rid of the rev hang. However, I have yet to see a thread that has confirmed this. As for the throttle lag, there are gadgets made for the tc that increase sensitivity, but I'm not sure if if it will correct the unrefined throttle issue the car is normal to. Maybe someone that has the throttle modification can chime in on that.

I've learned to drive manual on this car and, even though it's been about 2 years, I still have occasions where I feel like I'm learning how to drive the car all over again. It can be really frustrating at times lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM

I have the Weapon R throttle controller, and it made a big difference in "driveability" well worth it
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by keeev
Hello! People have theorized that getting a lightweight flywheel will help get rid of the rev hang. However, I have yet to see a thread that has confirmed this. As for the throttle lag, there are gadgets made for the tc that increase sensitivity, but I'm not sure if if it will correct the unrefined throttle issue the car is normal to. Maybe someone that has the throttle modification can chime in on that.

I've learned to drive manual on this car and, even though it's been about 2 years, I still have occasions where I feel like I'm learning how to drive the car all over again. It can be really frustrating at times lol.
I've been driving a manual for about 18 years and it feels like I am learning all over again. Always had older cars with wire throttles. Maybe it just takes getting used to. The rev hang I can understand, but the throttle going in and out worries me. It's still under warranty so I will take it in and report back.

Will check into the weapons R gadget. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is just how slow Scion's dbw throttle lag is.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
It is just how slow Scion's dbw throttle lag is.

You'd think Toyota engineers would have ironed that out before they put them into mass production. It can't be that hard given our current technology..... The F-16 had fly-by-wire years ago and I don't think you'd have input lag on a fighter....
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was a Crew Chief on F-16's, funny I totally forgot about the FBW.lol.
Since I sold my Tc2 I have owned a Dodge Ram and a Mazda 3. Neither of the two have throttle lag as bad as the Tc did. Everyone who drove my Tc stalled it out because of the lag.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM

I experience the same thing almost everyday in my 2011 tC. It happens around 35-45mph in 5th gear. When it happens I down shift because it gets annoying. The rev/throttle blip is supposed to happen. If you watch the release series 8 videos online, they even programmed the automatics with paddle shifters to do the same to feel like a MT. I have the weapon-r throttle controller and it killed the throttle lag but that's it.