Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Trd intake question (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Trd intake question (help please)

Hey let me say this first I'm new to the site and don't no where to post this but I was wondering if the Trd intake whistles at all? If anyway can help me please do I just got my 2012 tc and need help
Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you want to know because you want an intake that whistles or do you have the TRD intake and worry about the sound? Unless you have a CEL and the car runs like crap, don't worry about it. When my car is next to a wall like at at drive thru restaraunt, I hear a slight whistle when I press the throttle. It's normal. If it's a really loud whistle and the car does not like to accelerate, the intake is leaking.. Meaning it is pulling extra air from somewhere besides the air filter box. This throws of the air/fuel ratio and causes poor engine performance. Check the intake tube for cracks, pinholes. Check that the clamps are snug, not overly tightened and make sure the air box lid is seated properly.
Welcome to the site btw! This should have gone in the Drivetrain and Power section. Anything here refers to a super charger or turbo charger(Forced Induction). As of right now there is no super charger option for us. Only aftermarket turbo kits at this time.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by derr
Hey let me say this first I'm new to the site and don't no where to post this but I was wondering if the Trd intake whistles at all? If anyway can help me please do I just got my 2012 tc and need help
It does not whistle...if you've got a whistle, something is not installed right!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I wanted a intake that almost sounds like its sucking air hard. Thanks for the feedback guys and man I don't have anything yet I just was wondering cus I'm Lookig through the stuff that keeps my warenty thanks again
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
Do you want to know because you want an intake that whistles or do you have the TRD intake and worry about the sound? Unless you have a CEL and the car runs like crap, don't worry about it. When my car is next to a wall like at at drive thru restaraunt, I hear a slight whistle when I press the throttle. It's normal. If it's a really loud whistle and the car does not like to accelerate, the intake is leaking.. Meaning it is pulling extra air from somewhere besides the air filter box. This throws of the air/fuel ratio and causes poor engine performance. Check the intake tube for cracks, pinholes. Check that the clamps are snug, not overly tightened and make sure the air box lid is seated properly.
Welcome to the site btw! This should have gone in the Drivetrain and Power section. Anything here refers to a super charger or turbo charger(Forced Induction). As of right now there is no super charger option for us. Only aftermarket turbo kits at this time.
Oh and man btw I used to have a scion tc 2006 supercharged with apexi exhaust Megan a pipe and dc headers bigger injectors nst pulley can't wait for the s/c
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does not look good for the s/c option. Nobody seems interested in making one for our car, including TRD. Rumor around here is they made one and ditched the idea.
If you want to hear the engine suck air better, remove the snorkel on the stock air box. It's held on by one 10mm bolt on the driverside fenderwell. It sounds better imo.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does not look good for the s/c option. Nobody seems interested in making one for our car, including TRD. Rumor around here is they made one and ditched the idea.
If you want to hear the engine suck air better, remove the snorkel on the stock air box. It's held on by one 10mm bolt on the driverside fenderwell. It sounds better imo.
I already did much better seems almost like throatier"
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Banned
SL Member

BTW - its a 6-mm bolt (M6-1.0) that uses a 10-mm wrench.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
It does not whistle...if you've got a whistle, something is not installed right!
Hope thats not the same for the WPN-R because mine will stay at a steady whistle at certain rpm's.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the injen CAI and i turned it down to a short ram which IMO seemed better cause there was less of a path to travel for all the air being sucked in. when you have an intake, you wont hear it sucking in air(IMO) but you will definitely notice a power difference, be however small it is, it will also make your car sound like you have an exhaust. the Short ram(when i had it) also made a whistle sound when i shifted gears, like when i let go of the clutch and gave it gas i always heard it and people outside heard it too. and yes it was professionally installed haha, no problems. the only way you can get an actual sucking sound is if you get an intercooler(long process and youd need a turbo) which is what i have and let me tell you, there is no better sound than when that tial BOV goes off.... haha, hope my advice helped at all.