Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's the best Intake/Exhaust Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What's the best Intake/Exhaust Combo?

I was looking at the Injen intake and Tanabe axble-back exhaust. What do you guys recommend?

I don't like the exhaust tip to be sticking out btw. And if you have the gain in HP/TQ for the Exhaust/Intake you're gonna recommend please provide it.

Thank you!

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-22-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCluvr
And if you have the gain in HP/TQ for the Exhaust/Intake you're gonna recommend please provide it. Thank you!

Yeah every one of us that has snorkeled our intakes and widened our exhaust by a quarter inch made sure that we spent $200 and threw on the dyno to see the 2hp increase. Any combination will be the same gains. It's about looks and sound. Go with that. Not to mention, I like how you are wanting horsepower but go with an axle back? It's gotta be cat-back big guy to get anything noticeable in the powerband.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...66#post4050066

:D
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc

Yeah every one of us that has snorkeled our intakes and widened our exhaust by a quarter inch made sure that we spent $200 and threw on the dyno to see the 2hp increase. Any combination will be the same gains. It's about looks and sound. Go with that. Not to mention, I like how you are wanting horsepower but go with an axle back? It's gotta be cat-back big guy to get anything noticeable in the powerband.
You don't have to be such a douche bout it. I was just wondering...obviously I don't know as much as you about the tC so enlighten me, master. Cat-back or axle-back? Why?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't have to be such a douche bout it. I was just wondering...obviously I don't know as much as you about the tC so enlighten me, master. Cat-back or axle-back? Why?
Both cat-back and axle-back will yield you a more gnarly sound. However, if you're only after sound, spend less and get an axle back as all it does it replace the rear section of the exhaust. If you want sound plus possible horsepower gains, you want to do a cat-back. The reason being is that the factory exhaust is restrictive due to emission purposes, fuel mileage, and sound comfort. Doing a cat-back increases the inside diameter of the pipe which allows for exhaust gases to flow out faster. The faster and less restrictively they flow out, the more power the engine can make.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Both cat-back and axle-back will yield you a more gnarly sound. However, if you're only after sound, spend less and get an axle back as all it does it replace the rear section of the exhaust. If you want sound plus possible horsepower gains, you want to do a cat-back.
The reason being is that the factory exhaust is restrictive due to emission purposes, fuel mileage, and sound comfort. Doing a cat-back increases the inside diameter of the pipe which allows for exhaust gases to flow out faster. The faster and less restrictively they flow out, the more power the engine can make.
The only problem with a cat back exhaust is that you will most likely (on the tC2 always) get rid of one of your catalytic converters. This gets rid of back pressure which can actually hurt your mid to high range torque. So you may gain hp but you'll be losing acceleration.
The larger diameter you go, the more torque you'll lose. If you don't plan on turboing in your car, I recommend you just get an axle back and enjoy the sound.

If you turbo it, the lack of back pressure will actually help the flow through the turbo and increase the amount of torque you get from the turbo.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-22-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kyleptrsn1
The only problem with a cat back exhaust is that you will most likely (on the tc2 always) get rid of one of your catalytic converters. This gets rid of back pressure which can actually hurt your mid to high range torque. So you may gain hp but you'll be losing acceleration. The larger diameter you go, the more torque you'll lose. If you don't plan on turboing in your car, I recommend you just get an axle back and enjoy the sound.

If you turbo it, the lack of back pressure will actually help the flow through the turbo and increase the amount of torque you get from the turbo.
That is correct. However, I doubt you would loose much torque if you go with a 2.5", stock is 2".
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a noticeable loss of low-end power when I had my cat-back on. I didn't really notice it at first, but once I re-installed my factory exhaust with TRD axle-back I was blown away at how much more responsive my car was in the low-end.

I completely agree with Kyle...if you aren't turboing, just get the axle-back.

Take a look at headers too though. Dezod's header has been dyno proven to give you a 8+ HP and 6+ TQ increase with NO loss in the bottom-end. I currently have it and love it. Better investment than any other exhaust product if you are concerned about power.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying to get to ~200HP(not whp), what's the best way to do that?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're looking to get around 200HP, I'd personally go with a CAI, Cat-Back Exhaust, CR-Lite Crank Pulley, and Headers. That'll get you at 200HP easily, if not a little more
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read my mind Brandon!! I have all those (well my exhaust is axle back but whatever) and I would like to think I am around 200.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I thought you would lose power with an axle-back exhaust.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I thought you would lose power with an axle-back exhaust.
With an axle back you won't lose power, the majority of the exhaust remains stock.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
With an axle back you won't lose power, the majority of the exhaust remains stock.
I meant to say a cat-back.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

You are almost better off worrying about the axle back later. Get an intake, header, and s-pipe for starters then finish the rest of the exhaust as you please. Most intakes will have trivial power differences. I judge intake by filtration quality really. Get a Dezod header, best on the market for power, sound, and quality. And s-pipes are going to have trivial power differences also. Whatever you find that is stainless and fits the best with proper pipe sizing.