Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

new to turbo got questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new to turbo got questions..

ok ive never had a turbo before and know very little about them. but its time to get one..im tired of being beat everywhere i go.. my questions are with the descendant turbo..
1. whats the difference in getting the engine management system and not getting it? (what does that do)
2. and getting this turbo..will the stock engine support it? or do i need to do some internals first?
3. how much would it cost to install with a tune?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jtk2
ok ive never had a turbo before and know very little about them. but its time to get one..im tired of being beat everywhere i go.. my questions are with the descendant turbo..
1. whats the difference in getting the engine management system and not getting it? (what does that do)
2. and getting this turbo..will the stock engine support it? or do i need to do some internals first?
1. Some people do not get the engine management because they want to use a different form of engine management however with boost you NEED engine management.

2.Stock internals on their preprogrammed maps are completely fine. They told me the stock internals will support 350 whp so no internals are needed.

3. I am going to work on getting their turbo as well as detailed instructions installing this so you might have my video to guide you through it. You don't need a tune with their turbo kit as long as you get the full kit as it comes with the proper preprogrammed maps.

Anything else you can email/call me corey@obnoxiousperformance.com or get my number from my site
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks man! yea ill be looking for that video. to see how difficult it is..
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Descendant kit is a bolt-on and go system. However, they did recommend a tuning on a dyno beyond the base maps. The base maps will get the car running with a good amount of hp and no cel's, but you'll want to fine tune it. Descendant uses church's dyno, which is below sea level, apparently, which gives them different gains. Especially if you're like me who is no where near Torrence, CA and have very different weather, you'll want a fine tune for optimal gains.

A couple shops have quoted a shiny penny for installs. I can only speak for the SE Michigan area on prices. 900$ if their labor isn't cheap. Reason being most aftermarket shops have an 8 hour work day and labor is about 90/hr. If you want to avoid this, install it yourself, or with someone that has a cursory knowledge of auto maintenance and assembly. The lists of tools and materials are short.

Dyno time and tuning ranges anywhere from 200+ depending on what you want and how many presets you want. Or, you can tune it yourself by doing pulls on the street (disclaimer: Dangerous, I don't recommend this.). It helps if you install a wideband O2 sensor. I went with the AEM UEGO controller, since the piggyback system itself is made by AEM.

Just remember, the turbo is a complete kit, but there are things here and there you'll need to buy to install it, however small it may be (stuff for fluid changes, teflon tape, etc.).

The install itself is almost identical to the xB install:

Last edited by ZeroEyeQueue; 05-16-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks dude. yea ill probably just take it to a shop and get it professionally done with a tune.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you in houston u have the best tuner in texas in your back yard! hit up chris (crush) in the regional forums and he will help u out! HIS WORK ROCKS!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1) Engine management is a MUST. Simply slapping a turbo on will not increase power. The increase in power is due to the additional fuel that is supplied to the mix that is able to be burned efficently in compressed air. Compressed air-> more o2, more o2-> more fuel, more fuel-> more power.

In order to supply this extra fuel you need to go beyond what the stock computer will allow and in order to do this you will need a device either inline, piggybacked, or a totaly replacment to the stock computer as well as larger injectors that will step up your ability to supply fuel. Then on top of that which ever way you go will need to be tuned to your particular setup. Tunning involves adjusting fuel/timing either by rpm windows or globaly to achieve a desired air fuel ratio under load.

2)The gen 1 tC's have proven themselves strong enough to handle a decent amout of boost/power over a great deal of time. However, this relies heavily on how spot on and conservative your tune is. Don't know much about the new gen 2's since they come out because i've moved on to other specialties but i believe it would be safe to say reliability and strenght shouldn't be a problem. A good safe tune along with maintenance and personal knowledge is the key to keeping anything running.

3)Install costs really vary from shop to shop. You will have to find a shop that you feel comfortable with. Dyno tuning again vary from one location to another. The overal average is $100 per hour, or $300 for an initial tune.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 AM
SL Member

you will need a engine management to run a turbo .. and and installation u can do it yourself and tune it can be from 350 to 500
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright turbo will be installed in a few weeks. Have a couple more questions.
I have an automatic so I'll only tune it to 8 psi max. Because I don't want to mess up my transmission. I'll will also be swapping transmission fluid to amsoil. Was wondering if a transmission cooler is needed? How much will it help? I'm getting 3 auto meter elite gauges was wondering besides the boost gauge what other 2 gauges are most important to have?

Last edited by jtk2; 07-05-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an automatic so I'll only tune it to 8 psi max. Because I don't want to mess up my transmission. I'll will also be swapping transmission fluid to amsoil. Was wondering if a transmission cooler is needed? How much will it help? I'm getting 3 auto meter elite gauges was wondering besides the boost gauge what other 2 gauges are most important to have?
Congrats on the boost. You'll love it in the auto. I did not swap tranny fluid as its not as easy as it sounds. Tranny cooler would give you peace of mind that the trans will run a little cooler with it. I myself haven't put one on yet and have not had any problems. Although, i do plan on it. I've driven 2,300 miles with the Dezod turbo kit and have not had an issue with trans or anything else for that matter. As far as gauges, i have boost and wideband. If you want one more, oil temp gauge would be your next best investment. I'd also invest in a turbo timer which basically keeps your car on an extra amount of time to give the turbo to cool down instead of just abruptly shutting off your car and walking away. With the turbo timer, you can pull out key and the unit will keep your car on in case you forget to let the turbo "cool down" a bit. It'll help the turbo last longer.
I'm no pro, but the following is what i've learned with a little research, a ton of questions and actually owning an auto tC2. Best of luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

When turbocharging any of the automatic 2005-2012 tC or 2008-2012 xB, we typically install the Mishimoto universal transmission/power steering cooler as a precaution. It will preserve the life of your transmission. I don't think you need to change the transmission fluid, but I definitely would't run the boost higher than 7 or 8 lbs. The gearbox will like you much better for that. ;)

Installation of the Mishimoto universal cooler is super straight forward and can be done in less than an hour. We have them in stock here if you would like one.

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
Congrats on the boost. You'll love it in the auto. I did not swap tranny fluid as its not as easy as it sounds. Tranny cooler would give you peace of mind that the trans will run a little cooler with it. I myself haven't put one on yet and have not had any problems. Although, i do plan on it. I've driven 2,300 miles with the Dezod turbo kit and have not had an issue with trans or anything else for that matter. As far as gauges, i have boost and wideband. If you want one more, oil temp gauge would be your next best investment. I'd also invest in a turbo timer which basically keeps your car on an extra amount of time to give the turbo to cool down instead of just abruptly shutting off your car and walking away. With the turbo timer, you can pull out key and the unit will keep your car on in case you forget to let the turbo "cool down" a bit. It'll help the turbo last longer.
I'm no pro, but the following is what i've learned with a little research, a ton of questions and actually owning an auto tC2. Best of luck!
You would know of all people owning an auto turbo tC2 making near 300whp on a stock bottom end.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by World-Racing
When turbocharging any of the automatic 2005-2012 tC or 2008-2012 xB, we typically install the Mishimoto universal transmission/power steering cooler as a precaution. It will preserve the life of your transmission. I don't think you need to change the transmission fluid, but I definitely would't run the boost higher than 7 or 8 lbs. The gearbox will like you much better for that. ;)

Installation of the Mishimoto universal cooler is super straight forward and can be done in less than an hour. We have them in stock here if you would like one.

Good luck with your build.
thanks man. yea i was actually looking at getting that also on top of swapping the fluids. ive talked to acouple people and they said the trans fluid helps a little bit but stock will be just fine. and every little bit helps. id rather pay $100 for fluid than $5000 for a transmission lol. and ill keep it under 8lbs. but knowing me ill probably be trying to race anything i can find that i know i can beat or atleast have a better fighting chance.