Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Safe to drive?

Currently running descendant turbo kit with base tune in need of tuning my tuner isn't back in town until the 11th currently car idles good most of the time it idles between 14-16 AFR on my wideband tonight when I came home it cruised fine all the way home then when coming to a stop sign RPM just tanked and car died started it right back up and continued on no CEL nothing abnormal arrived home in driveway car is idling between 16.2-16.6 afr I've been driving the car like this for a few days now and it's always the same usually dies once on a 35 mile trip to work and when it does it's always slowing to a stop rpms just tank when in gear cruising the speed limit car runs 13.9-15.4 afr like it should I have not boosted the car and do not plan to until it can be tuned on the 11th boost gurus opinions is this safe? Is it gonna blow? IMO it needs low end fuel trim tuning bad this is my first turbo car and I cannot afford a detonation if needed I can drive another vehicle but would prefer not to
Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My opinion: It's dying for a reason. I would wait until you get it tuned, especially since you have another car to drive. Why risk doing permanent damage to your car?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hayes
My opinion: It's dying for a reason. I would wait until you get it tuned, especially since you have another car to drive. Why risk doing permanent damage to your car?
Vehicle I have to drive isn't exactly ideal gets about 8 mpg so it kills my wallet on gas and yea It is dying for a reason the reason I believe it dies is because it needs low end fuel trim tuning but I am unsure that's why I made this post so others that have had boosted cars in need of tuning can chime in if its safe to drive I'm going to continue driving it each day it seems to run a little better like the ECU is still learning do you have any facts besides the obvious that would make me wanna let it sit?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not. You asked if we thought you should drive it, so I gave my opinion. It looks like you are going to try to justify against everything I say, so enjoy driving it and I hope nothing goes wrong.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not. You asked if we thought you should drive it, so I gave my opinion. It looks like you are going to try to justify against everything I say, so enjoy driving it and I hope nothing goes wrong.
I do appreciate the opinion it is good to have others opinions I was just hoping to get some opinions with others that had similar issues or boosted scions
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most important element of a Turbo charged vehicle is the tune. I would personally not drive it until you can have it professionally tuned. I wouldn't rely on a base tune if it's acting up and giving you problem.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc13
Most important element of a Turbo charged vehicle is the tune. I would personally not drive it until you can have it professionally tuned. I wouldn't rely on a base tune if it's acting up and giving you problem.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I agree 100% but I've not boosted it and the afr are always where they should be when I'm driving just does occasionally when slowing to a stop
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had ECU scanned with obd2 handheld scanner showing no codes or pending codes so there good news
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spend $200 on gas until you get it tuned, or spend way more when something fails because being untuned. You pick.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Spend $200 on gas until you get it tuned, or spend way more when something fails because being untuned. You pick.
Guess we will see what happens hopefully nothing bad
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you ignored the advice of everyone who responded to your question...why bother asking?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you ignored the advice of everyone who responded to your question...why bother asking?
Noone has gave me any facts or told me any experiences they had for one most of the guys that commented to my knowledge aren't even boosted & my one buddy who is boosted and the shop that's tuning my car on the 11th said it would be fine as long as I took it easy which I have been plus I think I've got a shop lined up for tuning Tuesday
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you have a friend who knows boosted cars. Believe him. You want facts? The fact is that the most important thing on a boosted car is the tune. A bad tune can cause a lot of problems really quickly. Stoichiometry is 14.7:1 for air/fuel ratio. So it sounds like you are running lean when you cross into 15-16 territory. I'd bet that the computer is trying to compensate the fuel and you are stalling because of flooding when you come to a stop.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you have a friend who knows boosted cars. Believe him. You want facts? The fact is that the most important thing on a boosted car is the tune. A bad tune can cause a lot of problems really quickly. Stoichiometry is 14.7:1 for air/fuel ratio. So it sounds like you are running lean when you cross into 15-16 territory. I'd bet that the computer is trying to compensate the fuel and you are stalling because of flooding when you come to a stop.
That's more like it now driving the car in this condition can cause what to happen? I drove it yesterday to work and home and car ran perfectly never died once and only time the afr were anything near 16s was at idle during warmup
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good news tuning scheduled 8am wed morning! then no more worrying and I can boost her
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a base tune is meant to be able to start the car and drive to the tuner,thats all......thats my opion unless you,can make ajustments yourself until you get to a dyno.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you go lean things go boom. Problem is when you're under load your building boost, even if it is a little bit it is more than what you would take in with N/A. More air requires more fuel, the lack of either causes poor running conditions.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
When you go lean things go boom. Problem is when you're under load your building boost, even if it is a little bit it is more than what you would take in with N/A. More air requires more fuel, the lack of either causes poor running conditions.
That's the truth the tc is only lean at idle and sometimes it's even in the right afr there this morning it was idling between 14.7-14.9 had to drive her home from work cruising highway my afr are perfect though don't plan on driving her anymore today tomorrow morning we've got a highway trip to the tuner so wish me luck everyone
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
That's the truth the tc is only lean at idle and sometimes it's even in the right afr there this morning it was idling between 14.7-14.9 had to drive her home from work cruising highway my afr are perfect though don't plan on driving her anymore today tomorrow morning we've got a highway trip to the tuner so wish me luck everyone
Is the car tune yet and how is it running. Do a video taking off too..come on man share the experience lol
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rydrdg
Is the car tune yet and how is it running. Do a video taking off too..come on man share the experience lol
Yep running well checkout my build thread