Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help finding Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 PM
SL Member

Default Help finding Amp?

So I went in and got my speakers changed to Alpine S-S69C since mine blew out and my audio still didn't come back and he told me it was my Amp as well that went bad.. Would getting the factory Amp fix this issue or should I go with an aftermarket solution?
I don't want to spend too much and my previous factory Amp ran the front, rear, and subwoofer in the back with no issues. Would changing out to the Alpine speakers and getting a factory Amp again not work out?

Or do I have to buy a different Amp as they said I need a 5 channel Amp to run all 5 of the speakers is that right?
Old 10-26-2018, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Depending on how the factory speakers are set up (component speakers with separate tweeter and midbass driver) just replacing the midbass driver with a new speaker could have thrown the ohm load off to the crossover and burnt the amp.

For the sake of sound quality, i'd suggest going with an aftermarket amp. You'll get better sound, more power, and an overall better experience.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

General info on the tC2: There is only one 'amp' stock and its a wimpy 2 ohm unit below the driver seat that is only used to boost the signal of the awful factory 6x9's. All of the other speakers are powered directly by the headunit at ~11w RMS. If your factory 'amp' isn't working then you'll likely need a new headunit. All the speakers are 4ohm except the 6x9's which run off that amp with a 2ohm load (read: replacing the 6x9's with 4ohm speakers without upgrading the amp makes them sound awful).

Simply grabbing random off-the-shelf speakers is risky with a factory audio system because the wattage might not match up and can cause other damage to components like this. The speakers you listed that you purchased are a 2-way component setup that are not the same wattage and ohms as the factory units so they will not work properly if just swapped in. You will need to upgrade the amp I mentioned above for them to sound good and work properly.

In regards to aftermarket 4 and 5-channel amps, they generally do the same job, except that a 5-channel amp also has an output for your subwoofer in addition to all 4 corners (that's what the 5 channel is). Personally I like to split my audio up when room allows to have maximum control over system tuning. I have a JL mono amp under my passenger seat that powers my JL 10w3v3 (JL Stealthbox) and a RF 4-channel amp under my driver seat that powers my rear 2-way and my front 3-way Focal components. The tC is an interesting car being that it has 3-way speakers up front - which require you to get a little creative with the wiring if you don't go for a proper 3-way component setup with a crossover and rewire the doors like I have done.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:25 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
General info on the tC2: There is only one 'amp' stock and its a wimpy 2 ohm unit below the driver seat that is only used to boost the signal of the awful factory 6x9's. All of the other speakers are powered directly by the headunit at ~11w RMS. If your factory 'amp' isn't working then you'll likely need a new headunit. All the speakers are 4ohm except the 6x9's which run off that amp with a 2ohm load (read: replacing the 6x9's with 4ohm speakers without upgrading the amp makes them sound awful).

Simply grabbing random off-the-shelf speakers is risky with a factory audio system because the wattage might not match up and can cause other damage to components like this. The speakers you listed that you purchased are a 2-way component setup that are not the same wattage and ohms as the factory units so they will not work properly if just swapped in. You will need to upgrade the amp I mentioned above for them to sound good and work properly.

In regards to aftermarket 4 and 5-channel amps, they generally do the same job, except that a 5-channel amp also has an output for your subwoofer in addition to all 4 corners (that's what the 5 channel is). Personally I like to split my audio up when room allows to have maximum control over system tuning. I have a JL mono amp under my passenger seat that powers my JL 10w3v3 (JL Stealthbox) and a RF 4-channel amp under my driver seat that powers my rear 2-way and my front 3-way Focal components. The tC is an interesting car being that it has 3-way speakers up front - which require you to get a little creative with the wiring if you don't go for a proper 3-way component setup with a crossover and rewire the doors like I have done.
Well Drizz I basically got scammed lol spent 280+ on new speakers cause they said they my aftermarket ones were blown and they were so wrong about it.. i have an aftermarket amp from OEM Audio + because that was a part of their speaker kit set up it just bypass the factory amp turns out they didnt even check the fuses for the aftermarket amp and they were blown to bits like one was melted onto the fuse box which caused it not to work so the shop I went that I went to for the speakers were just plain wrong..... I went to another shop that knew what they were doing and we replaced the fuse and boom speakers all came alive and they tested the old speakers and my tweeters that the other shop said were blown and they were good and it was only my 6x9's that were blown but somehow the other shop said all of my speakers were blown including my rear and somehow my "blown" rear speakers came right to life crazy right? And the other shop I went to wired the new tweeters that came with the speakers they sold me to the bass on the doors( the 6x9) and they instantly blew up once we were actually able to get the amp on with the new fuse so now i'm out 280$ and got to fight with this shop so I can hopefully get some of my money back and them to put my old (falsely dead) tweeters back on. And to think they tried charging me $350 for a new amp, 200-250$ for rear speakers, 125$ to install the amp, and $!00 for wiring when my problem was literally a 10$ fix...

Never go to Cartronics in south florida total rip off...
Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol that sucks man. I hate bull____ shops. Hope you can recur some of those charges.

Don't worry tho, I've been doing my own audio installs for 15 years I'm not going to a shop :p