Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help With Stock Interior Lightning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Default Help With Stock Interior Lightning Issues

First time, TC owner long time car enthusiast. The TC is a 2012 RS 7.0 just bought her 2 days ago. On the long drive home it got dark and it started snowing and I noticed a lot of indicators weren't lighting up orange because I had to turn on the wipers and had to turn on the dang dome light to see. Also it just seems to dark in general, compared to many other cars I have driven.

I was trying to find youtube videos of a TC2 lit up at night and all I could find is ricer interiors with millions of LEDs and strobes. I did how ever think I caught a glimpse of the steering Wheel stuff lightning up but not sure. I couldn't find any pics to verify if they wasn't suppose to light up or not, this is where I need your help.

Window buttons: The driver window button lights up. The passenger and passenger lock button are not lightning up.

Air condition controls: The air circulation button right in the middle doesn't seem to stay on I push it, and it turns orange then goes right off. If I hold and press it in, it stays lit up orange but as soon as I let it go it shuts back off.

Vehicle Stability button: I think this is the name of it, its the button to the top left of my stick.
The problem with this is the button constantly stays lit up regardless if I push it or not. I have no way of indicating if its on or off. There is also nothing indicating that its off or on in my clusters.

Steering Wheel: Everything on this dang thing isn't lightning up.
Including the stereo buttons, the windshield wiper stick, the cruise control stick and turn signal stick.

Sunroof switches: Not even sure if these light up or not, if not that's a poor design.

I'm pretty sure I'm having electrical problems with indicators or just electrical problems in general because the the high temp indicator poped on when I started the car with a cold start and it was 20 degrees out side with snow. No coolant leaks what so ever and as soon as the car warmed up the indicator went off. Also the driver's side tweeter seems to have static.

This is my first Jap car, Ive drove nothing but German cars for the last 6 years. They run like champs, but I wanted to get away from them because they have to many electrical problems that I was sick of..... NOW THIS. Thanks for reading and hopefully you guys can help me out here.. regardless I'll be taking this to the Toyota shop some time this week, just wanted some confirmation from experienced ppl.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill try and answer what I can.

Sunroof buttons, steering wheel buttons, and window buttons don't light up and aren't supposed to (I'm actually not 100% sure about the window buttons but I'm pretty sure).

The stability control button is supposed to light up all the time but there is indicators in the cluster for it. The button won't work over 30mph or so (its 50kmh in my Canadian one) so try it while stopped.

I think the air circulation only works when the AC is on. I'm pretty sure you can't make set it to recirc unless the AC is on so it just lights up while the button is depressed then turns off. Try turning AC on and pressing it again.

If the temp indicator is little green thermometer thats actually there to let you know the engine still isn't up to operating temp so you know not to rev it hard or anything.

As to the poor design, I can't really comment. I've driven a few higher end cars but all I've owned is Jap cars and I like them. Even different brands tend to put all the stuff in the same places so you'll memorize the cabin pretty quick and a lack of lights shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scorch3
Ill try and answer what I can.

Sunroof buttons, steering wheel buttons, and window buttons don't light up and aren't supposed to (I'm actually not 100% sure about the window buttons but I'm pretty sure).

The stability control button is supposed to light up all the time but there is indicators in the cluster for it. The button won't work over 30mph or so (its 50kmh in my Canadian one) so try it while stopped.

I think the air circulation only works when the AC is on. I'm pretty sure you can't make set it to recirc unless the AC is on so it just lights up while the button is depressed then turns off. Try turning AC on and pressing it again.

If the temp indicator is little green thermometer thats actually there to let you know the engine still isn't up to operating temp so you know not to rev it hard or anything.

As to the poor design, I can't really comment. I've driven a few higher end cars but all I've owned is Jap cars and I like them. Even different brands tend to put all the stuff in the same places so you'll memorize the cabin pretty quick and a lack of lights shouldn't be a big issue.
Ill check this stuff out, ty Scorch I appreciate it. The temp thing, never seen it like that before that's actually pretty neat. The air circulation button set up like that is a first to, never had to have the AC on to circulate cabin air, usually just works with the air on. Could you check on this?

I still think its silly that none of that stuff lights up. I have a hard time seeing stuff at night time (Ill run into a wall in my house if I don't have a light on.) As far as the window switches, can you check on that for me tonight or if you have a garage where this little light? I would really appreciate it, it doesn't seem right that one indicator lights up and not the passenger window or the lock and its on the same board.

Any chance that you or any one else would know if they sell a LED kit that I can install to light up the steering wheel stereo controls?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Passenger side window button does NOT light up.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked the re-circ. It isn't the AC that prevent it but the windshield defrost, as blowing moist cabin air obviously wouldn't help a fogged up window. Switch it to feet, face or whatever and it should turn on and light up permanently.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everything above noted is correct. The steering wheel audio controls not being lit is also an annoyance of mine. I am not sure if the buttons are even translucent, I haven't got my hands on tearing it all apart and possibly installing two LED's in there.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dalton_Chaotic
Passenger side window button does NOT light up.
Ty, Dalton. Soooo fail on Toyotas part for not lighting everything up on that board.

Originally Posted by Scorch3
I checked the re-circ. It isn't the AC that prevent it but the windshield defrost, as blowing moist cabin air obviously wouldn't help a fogged up window. Switch it to feet, face or whatever and it should turn on and light up permanently.
Played around with this, works great now. Thanks for all the information Scorch.

Originally Posted by russiankid
Everything above noted is correct. The steering wheel audio controls not being lit is also an annoyance of mine. I am not sure if the buttons are even translucent, I haven't got my hands on tearing it all apart and possibly installing two LED's in there.
Yeah, I was taking a look at it myself and don't think so either. I was doing a bit of reading and I think I read some where that the TC1 steering wheel controls all light up. I mean really??? Isn't the second generations in cars suppose to improve? /facepalm

I might look into installing a tc1 wheel if it can be done and will light up and work properly. If any one knows any information on this let me know.