Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How to: USB/Aux on aftermarket stereo on Scion tC2

Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 PM

◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage
I just purchased a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH (it has 2 USBs & an AUX on the back). Using this method allows me to keep my iPod in the glove-box, as well as have AUX & USB connections for other peripherals in an accessible place for my passengers. All the while keeping everything clean & OEM looking. Awesome!

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a problem was actually looking at doing a second switch and just leaving the traction control button under it all.. because i managed to snag my switch out of my other tc before insurance took it
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by punch10001
dont see anything for the usb though.

There is nothing for the usb connection, that you will still have to use the guide in this thread for. I was just trying to simplify the rca connection and steering controls for people.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

question...

would it be possible (in theory, since i doubt anyone tried it) to completely swap the 3.5mm aux jack with another one?

i have a 3.5mm aux extension cable that has 3 rings (meaning that it has the typical 2 for audio and an additional one for video) and i want to try to completely remove the stock jack and replace it with the female end of the extension cable
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
question...

would it be possible (in theory, since i doubt anyone tried it) to completely swap the 3.5mm aux jack with another one?

i have a 3.5mm aux extension cable that has 3 rings (meaning that it has the typical 2 for audio and an additional one for video) and i want to try to completely remove the stock jack and replace it with the female end of the extension cable
You would have to take apart the board its connected to and rewire it. But at that point you might as will just pull the whole factory wiring, ditch it and mount your new aux cord with video in the stock location and run the new wire to your h/u.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^yup figured that out already. thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Will this work for tC1?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea its the same on all toyotas with this style usb aux plug for instance i just did this on my new tacoma
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Can I do this with an RCA to 3.5mm? If so, mine only has the two wires and not the ground. Can I still do this? Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya the 3.5mm end of the rca should have a silver mesh kinda surrround around the 2 wires that is your ground oddly enough headphone and rca's always have a right left and ground no matter the make its just trying to find the ground
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Retain OEM bluetooth mic?

All very useful information, thanks guys. Has anyone figured out a way to retain and utilize the original bluetooth mic with an aftermarket radio? I have no plans to sell my 2013 ANYTIME soon but I still don't like cutting/running extra wires. The aforementioned idea about cutting the aftermarket harness to incorporate with factory wiring and maintain steering wheel controls was great. I have yet to find any such ideas for the bluetooth mic. I would love to buy a touchscreen JVC or Pioneer with Motion X Drive GPS mirror app technology but the thought of pulling apart more of my interior and running another bluetooth mic is the only thing stopping me from doing it. How can there not be an adapter for this??
Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 AM

I have one of these already made that works perfect. If someone would PLEASE trade me their OEM one id glady cover shipping.
awesome write up too!

also a note on the factory BT mic... yes you can keep it (the mic assembly is pretty basic on most imports) so you can saulder/splice the wires into your aftermarket wire BUT in my owns expierences (work at an audio shop) its about 50/50 on whether or not youll be satified with it. noise problems are pretty common, either from different mic senitivity or from connections. just my 2 cents. if you dead set on the factory look (totally understand) then go for it.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanks for write up!! My question is can you wire the opposite end that connects to the stereo deck with a USB male end? As in cut the existing wires and go that route? I am trying to hook up my aftermarket deck and get the USB port to work. I don't really need the aux

Thanks!

Originally Posted by devanb3
ee412/devanb3/DSCN0293.jpg[/IMG]

then pull straight up on the bezel around the shifter (you may need to engage the emergency brake to remove it)

then remove the stock plug from the switch

Stereo input:

For the stereo cable I used a three wire 3.5mm stereo cable, cut the plug of one end and you'll have three thin wires exposed mine had a silver wire wrap that was actually the typical black ground:

Black - ground
Red - right channel
White - left channel

Mate them to a radio control servo wire extension as follow:
(Depending on which harness they give you at the hobby shop, they usually are black,red,white or brown,red,yellow)

Black to (Black or Brown)

Red to (White or yellow)

White to (Red)

cut the male connection off of your extenion or cervo and seperate the wires

cut the aux cable and seperate the 3 wires that are in it

next solder the wires as shown above to their corresponding wire i made sure to place shrink wrap on each of the three individual wires and on the combination of all for extra protection later on

After all solders are made and shrink wraps are connected you should have something like this

next we have to plug in the cervo wire to the stock switch the switch is layed out into 5 small wire plugs you want to place the cervo wire into the last 3 or these plugs

lastly plug the Aux into the Aux end of the aftermarket stereo and test

Connecting the USB:

You will need to modify the female end of the USB cable, basically remove the metal and rubber surrounding using a razor blade and a pair of pliers

next plug the female end that you just modified into the top of the plug with the metal prongs facing down or towards the cervo wire you need to seat this completely

last plug the usb into the usb on your aftermarket stereo and test

its hard to see but the light is on on the usb drive success

[IMG]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/devanb3

any questions just ask
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too much work ;) Just get this:

Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel

You'll also need a USB extension cable and a male to female 3.5mm cable, because they ones up there are way too short. Just replace the module in the center console with this one to have USB and aux-in with an aftermarket unit.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 AM

Ummm, that didn't exist when this thread was started. Plus, it's nice to have the OEM....it fits perfectly into a blank slot.....no cutting required.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why I added it to this thread. And it looks OEM. Fits perfectly into the slot occupied by the factory USB/aux module. No cutting required. No soldering either.

Name:  0n5R8gT.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 09-16-2016, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here
to Add your Vehicle to Garage
Originally Posted by Kar98
That's why I added it to this thread. And it looks OEM. Fits perfectly into the slot occupied by the factory USB/aux module. No cutting required. No soldering either.

**Mic drop**

i didnt even know they had this solution. I was thiiis close to busting out my soldering iron until i saw this and the 9.99 price tag.

The proof of fit sold me. This is a prime example of how forums work.
Thank you!

Search this Thread