Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Protect our scions from thieves

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Protect our scions from thieves

I would like to start a new threat on ideas to help protect our investments that we make into our Scions. Mine is a white TC2. I had a really nice Alpine stereo with 2 amps and 2 12inch subs, now I have an empty car with a hole where my stereo used to be.

Now I know it's impossible to say that you can have a car that no one can break into, because it's as easy as breaking the glass.

Head units:
When we put aftermarket head units in, a thief that knows about car audio will be able pull off the plastic face plate and unscrew the stereo. Does anyone have or tried anything else to make it more difficult to remove an aftermarket stereo?

Amplifiers:
Amplifiers can be installed in many locations, and I'm sure there are many threads and pictures in this forum that show creative places to install them. I had mine installed on the back of the rear seats.

I could have been saved if there was a way to prevent the rear seats from unlatching and folding forward. Has anyone tried to disable the rear seat backs from unlatching and folding forward.

The rear lift gate only activated when the car is unlocked. Has anyone figured out how to disable the locking mechanism on there rear lift gate?

These are obviously solutions that the driver should be able to easily undo.

For those of you who have aftermarket alarm systems installed I now recommend 2 things.

Firstly make sure the alarm siren and wires are mounted in a location where a person who opens your hood cannot reach easily and pull off the wires.

Glass break alert is an option also, but I hear it can be a bit pricey to add to any alarm.

Secondly get a backup battery for your alarm or even a second battery to run your system off of. The thieves who broke into my car were clever enough to cut the battery ground strap.

Everyone please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could always use torx screws instead of the traditional ones, mix and match? but doing all that wouldn't be convenient if you ever need to take apart things often.

There's not much you can do to your car before it becomes a hassle to yourself. How do you plan on opening the hatch with the button disabled?

I stuck my amp under the trunk cover by the spare. I guess you could make a latch with key or something to prevent that from opening and having access to your amp? Better not lose that key.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Were you able to retain your spare tire or did you have to remove it? Can I safely assume that when most of us get a flat we call for road side assistance so removing the spare tire might not be such a bad thing. You are correct about the hatch. I however did not keep anything in the trunk area so there was never a need for me to open it constantly.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm currently running the RF PBr so its a microamp and fit right on top of the spare. But I know most people run bigger amps, so if you have to remove your spare, just buy those anti-flat tire cans for emergencies. A couple cans wouldn't hurt.

I ran without a spare for a couple weeks but the road noise was a bit more noticable so I had to stuff it back in until I can get some sound deadner put it.

I have my bigger amp on the shelf on the side of the trunk. You could always make a false floor and just hide all your amps under the trunk cover.

Speaking of trunk cover, did you have one covering so that your subs are not visible through the rear glass? You could always invest in that if you don't have one.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I did have the rear cargo cover that hid the sub box and amps, along with a dark tinted rear glass. Unfortunately I believe my car was targeted.

I'm thinking to install the amps under the front seats, not sure how much clearance there is under there. I know the small factory amp is under the driver side as well as rear seat floor vents.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of man call roadside assistance when changing a flat tire? It can be done in 15 minutes. Unless your wearing your wedding tux.
That is the ONE reason I'll excuse.

I like the TORX idea, I may do that. Get 4 different screws. How often does one person need to go behind the headunit anyway. Just keep the TORX adapters in your trunk somewhere.
But a frustrated thieve will just break whatever cheap plasic those screws are connected to lol. Thats one reason I may keep the stock HU, it works great. Thats the only thing of value I have in the car thats expensive other than the broken window.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I bypassed the parking ground in my head unit I put in torx bits. They thread into a metal brace that would be very hard to break. They would more than likely break the unit before removing it.

I’m installing some subs in my spare tire well. Once the cover is laid on top, a would be thief would have no clue it’s there, as it will look 100% stock.

My amp will be installed in my dash upfront. Again 100% stock looking as you won’t know it’s there.

I also have lojack. If my car moves 20 or more feet without my key then I get a email, txt and phone call telling me.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about the tc2 but my tc1 has metal braces/brackets to hold in my headunit, so using those torx would be a good idea.

You can always install your amp behind your dash like R2D2 said. That's a good solution, save yourself a bit on good power/grounding wire too.

If you're really picky, remove your spare and build a box and tune it exactly to your subwoofer's specs to get the best sound from it. I was going down that route, but eventually gave up from my 2 jobs and college and built just a regular box. lol
Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alarm deters most common theives. If your concerned with your hatch being opened after the door is unlocked you could interrupt the button with a relay that activates with ground when armed wire from the alarm brain so it is only active when the system is on.

If you want it disabled 24/7 you could wire the trunk release output to the button and program for a timed latch output and when you want to open your trunk press it and it will activate the button or open the relay so you can open the trunk when you want.

The ground when armed option would probably be the most practical.

Good tips to keep you stuff safe.

Don't bump when your close to your destination. Some thieves will follow you home, wait until they know your asleep or not going to come out quickly, smash, grab and take off.

Some extra measures would be a glass break sensor, interior piezo sirens and a good 2 way paging alarm system (most usually include remote starts). Many people have issues with the cost of these systems, but when you weigh the difference of replacing your whole system more than 1 time you have already paid for it.

Window tint also helps make it harder to see inside your vehicle to see what you have.

I would definately add the torx bolts if you want to throw the thieves off as your average thief will probably have 7mm (common on older chrysler and most chevy), 8mm (common on honda) or 10mm (common on toyota). Unless they are breaking into a euro based they would probably not have a torx driver with them.

Most thieves are not smart, many are young kids and dont know anything more than smash and grab tactics.

If you need any advice on systems I would be more than happy to help.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been thinking about this same thing for awhile. Just added up the replacement costs for my system to get an idea and it came to over $3,000 should I have to start over. I called progressive insurance and for $12.00 a month I was able to add coverage for additional upgraded items in the car up to $3500.00 which is excellent. This way should the car get broken into, totaled or anything else I'm covered which includes sound deadening/dynamat in the car. I still keep the car locked in the garage at night and don't take it to places where it will be left for extended periods and follow common sense in regards to playing it loud in area that may be of high risk... I definitely recommend calling your insurance company and insure your system for replacement cost, this also includes anything else you have done to the car upgrade wise. You just set the dollar amount of coverage vs cost of the additional insurance.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would add... Don't put car stereo equipment stickers all over your bumpers or glass... That's like advertising "I have good equipment, please break into my car"
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a stock HU in my tC but my amp and sub are under a cargo cover in the back and you cannot see them. Second, the tint is dark, so you can't really see anything inside considering the interior is black. Third, I do not place any stickers anywhere on the car stating what products I support.

And finally, I can see my car out of my window at all times, and I wake up to car alarms. I may not be able to run out there quick enough, but I have a .40 caliber that can go faster than me or the douche bags who try.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
I have a stock HU in my tC but my amp and sub are under a cargo cover in the back and you cannot see them. Second, the tint is dark, so you can't really see anything inside considering the interior is black. Third, I do not place any stickers anywhere on the car stating what products I support.

And finally, I can see my car out of my window at all times, and I wake up to car alarms. I may not be able to run out there quick enough, but I have a .40 caliber that can go faster than me or the douche bags who try.
Yep, that's the way I use to be with one of my cars. They still broke into the car 3 times smashing the back glass on the car, alarm and all going off, they didn't get anything but the damage to the hatch and rear quarter panels sucked! It's been years since I put together another system and this time I have the advantage of a garage and house to protect it. Still having the additional insurance on the car to pay for it in the event something does happening is nice...

BTW in Virginia I did exactly what you are talking about, cops came out (I had put the gun away of course) and one of my neighbors mentioned to them I had it. The cops hassled me and said they could cite me for brandishing a firearm and had I discharged it then even worse. Criminals have rights you know and you can't shoot or beat them with a baseball bat without having do deal with the legal system and end up in trouble. The cops told me I was to sit in my house look out the window and watch them trash my car and steal my junk while they took 40 minutes to get there... That really #$#$% me off...

Anyway, I have photo's of everything that is currently installed in the car, model/serial numbers, the works in case anything does happen and I have to prove to the insurance company what has been installed in the event I ever have to make a claim.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in a pretty good area so I hope nothing happens.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
I live in a pretty good area so I hope nothing happens.
I hope so to, I'm in a good area now, but with teenage kids around you never know... when you start upgrading everything the $$ add up. For just a single amp and sub added to the stock system you should be fine... But in my case everything has been upgraded over 3 grand should I have to replace it all... yea I went overboard but really enjoy it.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya. My tC is kind of an eye sore. It is the only tC2 in this area that is lowered, tinted out and has an exhaust.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With your insurance. Take pics of the stuff installed too for extra proof that it was in there.. I do insurance installations at work pretty frequently and sometimes the stuff they send in place of what the person had is cheap garbage, generally the wire kits are garbage. If you do have your stuff stolen after the adjuster does his thing, take it to an installer (if you don't DIY) and have them verify what you need and what needs to be replaced as sometimes the adjusters only do it over the phone.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Optical scanners and fingerprint identification....if the thief tries to break in, the car self destructs. In the end you get the revenge u deserve against the thief and GAP insurance pays for car. Done deal.

(Long Sigh)....if only we lived in a perfect world.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rob2012TC
BTW in Virginia I did exactly what you are talking about, cops came out (I had put the gun away of course) and one of my neighbors mentioned to them I had it. The cops hassled me and said they could cite me for brandishing a firearm and had I discharged it then even worse. Criminals have rights you know and you can't shoot or beat them with a baseball bat without having do deal with the legal system and end up in trouble. The cops told me I was to sit in my house look out the window and watch them trash my car and steal my junk while they took 40 minutes to get there... That really #$#$% me off...
Part of the reason I love GA! Haha you can shoot someone breaking into your property, you just have to give a warning shot first.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So an AMP under or behind the glove box?! I never heard/thought about that.

Quick Reply: Protect our scions from thieves