Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Question about Sub and Amp!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:50 PM

Default Question about Sub and Amp!

Can an external amp and sub's be installed with the stock radio, or do you have to get an aftermarket, I'm sure this is a noob question but I don't know a lot about audio installation. Im going an aftermarket radio isn't necessary so I can keep the steering controls, in car mic, and aux/USB. Thanks in advance for the input. BTW this is the radio I have:

http://images.webmakerx.net/Sites/Site0/Picture/2011/September/2012-Scion-iQ-radio.jpg
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kept my stock head unit, but to do that you have to either have and amp that has high level inputs and hook into the rear speaker wires, or you install a high level converter behind the head unit.

Basically it ties into the rear speaker outputs and changes it to low level RCA outputs. There are powered and passive units available in the aftermarket, I chose a powered unit so I has the option of 8 volt pre-outs on the RCA's. Mine was about $75 and required a bit of hacking to install as it needed power and a remote wire. Passive options are much cheaper but you may have to have the gain higher on your sub amp and I've heard some of the passive units are "problematic" lol.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Red2014tC
I kept my stock head unit, but to do that you have to either have and amp that has high level inputs and hook into the rear speaker wires, or you install a high level converter behind the head unit.

Basically it ties into the rear speaker outputs and changes it to low level RCA outputs. There are powered and passive units available in the aftermarket, I chose a powered unit so I has the option of 8 volt pre-outs on the RCA's. Mine was about $75 and required a bit of hacking to install as it needed power and a remote wire. Passive options are much cheaper but you may have to have the gain higher on your sub amp and I've heard some of the passive units are "problematic" lol.
This post sounds very technical, and I won't argue with the validity of it...but I don't think it is necessary.

Our factory units include sub amp pre-outs and are designed to add a sub amp. I have a JL 500/1v2 with JL 12W6v2 connected to my factory head unit...dialed in the correct gain with a voltmeter and it has performed solidly for the past 3 years. It really is a simple add.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not if it's the touch screen you have to use a converter. It's regular non touch unit it has low amp output.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm, mine is the upgraded Alpine touch unit.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my 09 xb the standard pioneer radio had sub outputs on the back of the radio, I'm not sure if the tCs have this or if it changed in the newer vehicles I haven't pulled mine to see to confirm that it will have this, but given that there is a sub on/off option in the settings then that is a good indication that you have the sub outputs in the factory radio. If it doesn't you can simply go to a local audio shop and get a inline converter that you basically tap a positive speaker wire in to the positive and negative to negative and this will give you your rca output that you will need for your amp to receive and audio signal for the subs, very simple process. I hooked a ton of stock radios up to amp and subs very do able.
http://www.carid.com/axxess-amplifie...r-7579949.html
Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info! I guess I may just do some calling around this week at different audio shops. Strangely enough, I really like the stock unit and how easy it is to use so hopefully I can figure something out.